The football trivia thread

Mac-Toon

Right - who's going to have a go at the Milburn question?

Does this involve wartime appearances?

At risk of blasphemy, was it the Unwashed?

Aye... on both accounts :jesuswept: Played twice for Sunderland during 1944/45. Albert Stubbins did too a few years earlier and scored a wartime cup final goal for them!

Check out the bottom of this section: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyne-Wear_der...sing_the_Divide

For Wor Jackie's admission of favouring the Mackems as a kid, look here: http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcast...-name_page.html

Thing is, there are pockets of mackems all over Northumberland...theres a pub in Seahouses thats a shrine to the filthy fuckers and Berwick is chocka with them. Someone once told me it was something to do with them being from County Durham and the influence that Durham Cathedral had all the way up to Scotland. Fuck knows if its true and how its supposed to work but this bloke (I think he was a Berwick mackem himself) reckoned that was why. Maybe the Milburns/Charltons were part of that clique because Bobby Charlton has said he watched them as a kid too, although he stops short of saying he supported them. It was in his last book.

There's a little place called North Sunderland just outside Seahouses as well which doesn't help. Do Jackies family have something to do with the Victoria in Bamburgh or am I just imagining it?

Edited by Dr Kenneth Noisewater

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
Right - who's going to have a go at the Milburn question?

Does this involve wartime appearances?

At risk of blasphemy, was it the Unwashed?

Aye... on both accounts :nah: Played twice for Sunderland during 1944/45. Albert Stubbins did too a few years earlier and scored a wartime cup final goal for them!

Check out the bottom of this section: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyne-Wear_der...sing_the_Divide

For Wor Jackie's admission of favouring the Mackems as a kid, look here: http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcast...-name_page.html

Thing is, there are pockets of mackems all over Northumberland...theres a pub in Seahouses thats a shrine to the filthy fuckers and Berwick is chocka with them. Someone once told me it was something to do with them being from County Durham and the influence that Durham Cathedral had all the way up to Scotland. Fuck knows if its true and how its supposed to work but this bloke (I think he was a Berwick mackem himself) reckoned that was why. Maybe the Milburns/Charltons were part of that clique because Bobby Charlton has said he watched them as a kid too, although he stops short of saying he supported them. It was in his last book.

Charlton's a cunt and always has been in my opinion. Old skool Steve Bruce if you were. Geordie when it fucking suits him.

Charlton is universally hated at Manchester United for nothing more than the fact he is a total tool of a man.

Regarding wor Jackie supporting the mackems as a bairn. So what? Before the age of 7 you haven't got a clue. I loved football but I can't remember Euro 84, or Espana 82. When I was 5 to 7, I supported Manchester City and Liverpool, because two older lads in my street supported them and I looked up to them. Then when I was taken to the match I was in no doubt who I supported, so I'd take WJ's crack with a pinch of salt.

I did think that if it is him it's not really a trick question, unless he signed first for them but wasn't the first to play for them or something like that, as I know he only played a handful of games for Liverpool.

Players to have won the PL and been relegated?

Are there many? Must've been some of the Blackburn squad still there when they went down who won the league with the club. Not to mention our very own Nicky Butt.