Shane Ferguson tearing apart international opposition

Christmas Tree

At any other club, particularly with a hopeless cunt like Jonas, this lad would be getting a start.

Absolute disgrace.

Is you issue with Jonas, Shane or our youth policy?

From what i've seen of him he's far too light weight and at least two or three years away from being anywhere near the first team. imo he's behind Lua Lua and would need to be loaned out.

My issue is with the fact we've used him this season against top players and he PROVED on those occasions he wasnt too lightweight. Combine this with a player like Jonas who is contributing nothing to attack or defense.

I dont see the big deal in letting the lad have another go.

And lets not forget Beardsley already considers him to be good enough for the first team.

Whether its just genral forum negativity but I simply seem to be missing the point in letting a good prospect who has performed well when asked, against quality players, replacing a player who is badly out of form.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At any other club, particularly with a hopeless cunt like Jonas, this lad would be getting a start.

Absolute disgrace.

Is you issue with Jonas, Shane or our youth policy?

From what i've seen of him he's far too light weight and at least two or three years away from being anywhere near the first team. imo he's behind Lua Lua and would need to be loaned out.

My issue is with the fact we've used him this season against top players and he PROVED on those occasions he wasnt too lightweight. Combine this with a player like Jonas who is contributing nothing to attack or defense.

I dont see the big deal in letting the lad have another go.

And lets not forget Beardsley already considers him to be good enough for the first team.

Whether its just genral forum negativity but I simply seem to be missing the point in letting a good prospect who has performed well when asked, against quality players, replacing a player who is badly out of form.

Jonas is right footed and played out of position at Newcastle for his link up play with Jose, so to suggest he is dropped for a youth player is madness.

fwiw, I thought Ferguson struggled at Chelsea.

I'm sure Ferguson played full-back in that Chelsea game btw.

He did, and even on that one performance I'd have him there instead of that cripple Perch.

Perch put in a decent performance against Tottenham.

Ok ok we get it, you don't rate Jonas. :icon_lol:

Does anyone :icon_lol:

However this is about an outstanding young talent not getting a go even though he's more than proved himself when called into action in the League cup, particularly against Chelsea.

Outstanding? Based on what exactly? :icon_lol:

Based on all the reviews he's been getting for the reserves. Based on the glowing praise from Beardsley who watches him day in, day out. Based on his limited games in the League cup such as Chelsea when he made one, and won the corner for another goal ONTOP of an outstanding all round performance. (And bear in mind against Chelsea he was covering for Enrique at left back and up against some excellent Chelsea players.

Then on top of all of this, Based on the fact that Jonas is simply not good enough and costing us points.

It makes perfect sense to drop Jonas and try Ferguson. If he struggles so be it, but let the lad have a go.

It makes no sense to persist with Jonas.

As well as being a good crosser of the ball, Ferguson is also a good tackler. Its a win win for me and at least worth a bash.

So pretty much based on the opinions of other people? And not your own as you've pretty much seen fuck all of him.

Turkey.

How much have you seen of him to know he's worthy of a start?

Played a blinder against Aldershot

:icon_lol:

I don't think Ferguson has done enough to usurp Jonas yet. I'd definitely be subbing him on for the Argentine more often though.

I think CT is one of those fans that will hear someone have a go at a player in one game, then take that opinion, exaggerate it and repeat ad infinitum regardless of it's basing in reality.

I know when Robert was here there was someone who would say he was shit every game. Even that Spurs game.

How much have you seen of him to know he's worthy of a start?

Played a blinder against Aldershot

I don't think Ferguson has done enough to usurp Jonas yet. I'd definitely be subbing him on for the Argentine more often though.

I think CT is one of those fans that will hear someone have a go at a player in one game, then take that opinion, exaggerate it and repeat ad infinitum regardless of it's basing in reality.

I know when Robert was here there was someone who would say he was shit every game. Even that Spurs game.

Gemmill wasn't it?

CT was saying this to me earlier and I agree with him: Shane Ferguson is our best black player since Sibierski. The fact he isn't in the first team is a national outrage.

Well he's better than Wes Brown at right back, so why not?

I love threads like this where the numptys show up and talk shite.

"He's too lightweight" --- So whats Jonas.

"He's too lightweight" --- Played out of his skin against Chelsea got one assist and won a corner for another goal.

"He's too lightweight" --- He did all of this from a left back position.

He is currently being asked to play left wing for the reserves......I wonder why? :icon_lol:

Jonas has never been good enough for the prem. Not first time round and certainly not this time around. Lua Lua should be in ahead of him but Hughton fucked that one up.

We have no one else who can naturally play in Jonas position. The fact thats he's already proved himself against the Big Boys makes it a no brainer.

And the man love for Jonas by some on here is simply shocking. Bit of luck though we'll replace him in the window.

Comments on Shanes Chelsea performance

From Hughton "Shane Ferguson floats between left-back and left-wing.’’ And shone."

From Henry Winter "When Ferguson, Newcastle’s excellent young left-back, lifted in a 26th-minute cross, Chelsea’s defence froze.

From Beardsley "PETER BEARDSLEY believes the emergence of Shane Ferguson has been one of the big pluses so far this season for him as Newcastle United’s reserve-team manager.

Its time for Shanes World.

I hardly, if ever, look at the Newcastle United official website but I've just been to see who Shane Ferguson is, and on the reserve team roster he is listed as Left-Back.

He plays left back or left wing. This is him running in a straight line from the half way line and whipping a cross into the penalty area for Ranger to score. Why our Argentinian international finds it so hard is a mystery.

I've asked you several times how much you've seen of him to justify a start.

Not what others have said about him, as we all agree he was good against Chelsea.

How many times have you seen him play, to know he's ready for the Premiership.

For those like Jonny who know piss all about our Shane, heres a little article about him.

HE grew up idolising Ryan Giggs, but the unassuming 19-year-old tipped to be Newcastle United’s next big star doesn’t mind the comparisons with another former Manchester United matinee idol.

Standing 5ft 9ins and 10 stone dead, the fresh-faced Shane Ferguson might struggle to sneak into an ‘18’ film at the local multiplex. But get him on to the football field – as Chelsea’s wounded millionaires would testify – and it soon becomes apparent his is a towering talent.

Just ask John Terry, left floundering at Ferguson’s dreamy cross for United’s equaliser at Stamford Bridge. Or Premier League legend Matt le Tissier for that matter, who waxed lyrical about the Northern Ireland youngster’s performance after watching the game as a Sky panel beater.

No wonder United’s senior pros – who have tagged him with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s famous nickname ‘the Baby Faced Assassin’ – no longer feel the need to treat him with kid gloves.

“People always call me baby-faced, my team-mates and my mates! Everyone says I look young. I’m 19 but people always guess much younger than that,” he said.

“It helps me in a way I suppose because people underestimate you. They probably look at me and think ‘He’s young, we don’t have to worry about him’. But hopefully they’re not thinking that by the end of the game.

“It doesn’t really faze me: I’m used to it. I remember they used to call Ole Gunnar Solskjaer the baby-faced assassin – I wouldn’t mind a bit of that! If you could achieve half as much as he did in his career then I’ll be all right.”

In a country that obsesses over size, height and pace at youth level it is almost a surprise that he has made it this far.

Growing up in rural Eglington in one of Northern Ireland’s mainly Catholic communities, he ended up on this side of the Irish sea after catching the eye for youth team Maiden City Soccer during a game with a United youth side at the age of 15.

Asked over for trials, it took United’s coaches five viewings to offer him a place in Academy.

Mum Patricia cried when he left home, but those early years away from his family paid off – and while others might have been more heavily fancied, the slight kid from County Derry stuck at it and snuck up on the blindside to prove size doesn’t always matter.

Not that Ferguson is a pushover. Having three sisters means he had to learn to stick up for himself, while his other sporting love toughened him up no end. A gifted Gaelic footballer, Ferguson was a county-standard player before United offered him the chance to pursue his first love.

Those years versed in the Gaelic game mean he can more than hold his own when the action hots up.

“I used to play for Derry County (in Gaelic football) before I signed up as a professional,” he said.

“It has helped me a bit. Gaelic helped me a lot - I may be small but I never get knocked about. People bounce into you and knock you about quite a lot in that game which means I’m never scared of the physical stuff when it comes to playing for Newcastle.

“I had to give it up to come to England – it is a bit rougher playing that than it is playing football over here and Newcastle told me to give it up in case I got injured, which I was going to do anyway.

“It’s a brutal game. It’s hard, you’ve never got any time on the ball in that game and people are picking up injuries all the time.

“But it’s a great sport and I still love it. When I’m back home I go and watch some matches, my local side and Derry. It’s huge in the Republic but it’s big in Derry as well – you get whole cities and towns leaving to go to Croke Park for a big final.

“Football was definitely always my first love, but GAA was next.”

His decision to opt for football is paying off. After a summer spent hunting for left-back cover, Chris Hughton is now comfortable enough with Ferguson’s progress to consider him as Jose Enrique’s understudy. And he’s a pretty useful left winger, too, in an emergency.

“My hero as a kid was Ryan Giggs – I try to model myself on him. It was Ryan all the way. He was one of the great players – to this day he is still incredible and I love the way that he plays; his attitude and everything about his game.

“If I had to describe myself I suppose I’d be a hard-working, attacking full-back. I can also play left wing but I’m just working hard, trying to get as many chances as I can.

“I started out as a winger but I’ve moved to left-back and I’m starting to really like it. I’ve only been playing it for a couple of years but I’m starting to really get into it.

“Plus I’m learning from the best in the business in Jose Enrique. He’s a superb defender and he helps me out with bits of advice and suggestions – plus even just watching him in training helps.

“All of the senior, first-team lads give me advice. There is just a great team spirit here.”

The next goal? Build on that fantastic night at Stamford Bridge, add to his Northern Ireland senior caps and keep his names on the lips of Toon fans.

“Stamford Bridge was incredible. Stepping out in front of 40,000-odd people was just amazing,” he said.

“It is the first time I’ve played in front of that sort of crowd. I took a look at the Chelsea side in the tunnel and there’s John Terry and Nicolas Anelka – your heart starts pounding because these are the players I dreamed about playing against when I was a kid.

“I probably shouldn’t admit it, but I was star-struck, to be honest! The nerves were eating away at me in the dressing room, but as soon as I got on to the pitch, they just disappeared. I got on the ball for the first time and it felt grand – I never looked back.”

I've asked you several times how much you've seen of him to justify a start.

Not what others have said about him, as we all agree he was good against Chelsea.

How many times have you seen him play, to know he's ready for the Premiership.

More questions and no substance. :icon_lol:

I told you on the first page Id seen enough of him and enough of Jonas to think he should be given a chance.

You tell me why we should stick with a man who's clearly lost his way and not give this lad a chance.