Drink driving

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The law as it is currently enforced probably results in more people drink-driving than would if it were decriminalized, much like the current ineffective drug laws. If you changed the law so a man could have two pints of ale and two whiskeys and drive up to 25 miles in residential areas, I think you'd find the drink-driving rate would plummet significantly. You just have to approach it as if you were driving in snow, be prepared for stopping distances of up to ten times more than normal. Keep to a low speed in high gears and you should be fine, modern vehicles are equipped with ALB and are relatively safe.

This is why their should be some form of intelligence test before you're allowed to vote/make any sort of important decision.

Cretin

Evidently you would fail any such test, given your borderline illiteracy. Why resort to petty insults? I have made a perfectly reasonable proposition and would like to hear a reasoned argument against it, should anyone disagree. It is crystal clear to me that the law, in its current state, is ineffective and probably causes more harm than good. People who have imbibed significant amounts of alcohol fare better in incidents such as falls or car-crashes because their bodies are loosened up and thus they run less risk of serious injury (broken bones, etc; this is clinically proven).

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

The lad made one small mistake, doesn't make him illiterate.

You on the other hand want people to drive around the streets drunk. Do you realise there's more people to hit in residential areas?

The lad made one small mistake, doesn't make him illiterate.

You on the other hand want people to drive around the streets drunk. Do you realise there's more people to hit in residential areas?

Having read my articulate and reasoned propositions, he implied I was so stupid I would fail a basic intelligence test, to be taken before voting (were one to exist), clearly an illogical conclusion. He then failed to construct a basic sentence and I accused him of borderline illiteracy: I know who I think is the more logical and reasoned out of the two of us, and my accusation was not inaccurate like his. I hold nothing against him personally.

Again, you have arrived at a non-sequitur and claimed that I want people to drive around the streets drunk. In every instance where decriminalization of an illegal substance has occurred, the use and abuse of the substance has fallen significantly. Were the drink-driving laws more realistic and reasonable - a couple of beers, a small amount of liquor; mum's the word - I firmly believe that the instances of drink-driving would fall also. The stipulations I put forward are very strict: no further than 25 miles, and not on a motorway or dual carriageway; stick to residential areas where the pubs are closer together and easier to travel to, should you need to drive to another one. This would ease the congestion caused by the current laws, which results in heavy traffic and higher instances of crashes, and would promote a more relaxed and safe environment on our roads. Let's be serious for a moment - would you feel safer with people like CT driving taxis through your street (Taxi drivers are prone to erratic and dangerous driving in order to pick up as many customers as possible), or a normal man who had drank 2 pints of ale? There is no argument for me when it comes to this.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

KSA is onto something here.

A compulsory warning light on the car to indicate "Ale on Board", along with a siren playing "Aye, yerracannyladyeelikeaknaayafatha" and I think it's a winner.

Whilst you're obviously being sarcastic, some kind of signal is probably a good idea. A portable siren seems like an appropriate measure, it could be easily attached to the roof of the car once you have entered the pub and would improve on the safety measures I have already proposed. This would save the police and the government huge sums in monitoring the roads, and whilst improving safety it would also save the taxpayer a significant sum.

Its pointless to have a zero alcohol ban, people that are ignorant enough to drive drunk would take no notice of the law at all anyway. Why cant people just be responsible for their own actions anymore?! You know your own limits and what effects you. Its so dependant on your size and when you've eaten too.

Its pointless to have a zero alcohol ban, people that are ignorant enough to drive drunk would take no notice of the law at all anyway. Why cant people just be responsible for their own actions anymore?! You know your own limits and what effects you. Its so dependant on your size and when you've eaten too.

I know its a forlorn hope but you have to hold your hands up if caught as well - I caught a bit of an ep of Traffic Cops earlier where a bloke did a runner and claimed he wasn't driving the car and of course his wife backed him up - utter scum.

Not even, i can drink a lot more than people a lot bigger than me.

Guess it's just because im 'ard though.

Not even, i can drink a lot more than people a lot bigger than me.

Guess it's just because im 'ard though.

Doesnt mean you could safely drive a car though <_<

Seen absolutely loads of people driving whilst on their mobile phone lately.

yeah I've noticed people seem to have gone back to that, its bloody dangerous! That and fiddling with the radio!

Mind, I don't know if it's just London but there's some bloody awful drivers around these days, sober or otherwise. I've lost count of the number of dunches, knocked-over traffic bollards, people running red lights and all at the junction by my place, there's something almost every time I pass by. Scary enough as a pedestrian never mind having to share a road with them <_<:rolleyes:

Mind, I don't know if it's just London but there's some bloody awful drivers around these days, sober or otherwise. I've lost count of the number of dunches, knocked-over traffic bollards, people running red lights and all at the junction by my place, there's something almost every time I pass by. Scary enough as a pedestrian never mind having to share a road with them <_<:rolleyes:

Wonder if it's linked to the increase in RED driving school adverts on the tv? :(

Have you driven down passed Central station towards where circus circus used to be on a friday or saturday night? Fuck it, any night? You've got to be well on your toes for people walking in the road and if people were firing 3 double whiskeys into themselves then driving round it'd be a recipe for disaster. I don't see much, actually any need for it in this area. Plenty taxis, plenty buses.

One's my limit if I'm driving and 9/10 I'll not bother. Different in my old mans day, he used to pump doon 8+ lcl's and roll home steaming.

Some academic did a study that showed a correlation between cars getting safer and driving standards getting worse. People feel invincible in their 5-star-NCAP, ABS and traction-controlled boxes, so they feel greater risk is acceptable as the car will save them if anything goes wrong.

He suggested (only half-jokingly) that driving standards would improve dramatically if there was a big spike in the centre of the steering wheel and the petrol tank was mounted on the front bumper.

Seen absolutely loads of people driving whilst on their mobile phone lately.

good point

it won't change until we see the same lack of tolerance exhibited about booze on here

as I understand it the law allows you to drive with around 2-3 units of alcohol - it takes the average male a couple of hours to burn off each unit so 4 pints = 8 units = 6 units over = 12 hours not driving

In Norway they often breathalise people on their way TO work in the morning and make a canny catch