Darren Bent Signs for Villa

Tooj

snigger.

Anyway, as one of the journo's on twitter mentioned, wobbly face has walked out of Huddersfield, Palace, Brum & Wigan to further his career.

Good point. But as the song thing also demonstrates he's an obese, alcoholic hypocrite.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Villa Put the record straight by releasing statement. :lol:

Aston Villa have released a statement responding to comments made by Sunderland over the transfer of Darren Bent, denying any wrongdoing in any part of the deal.

The England striker completed a shock deal to move to the Midlands on Tuesday in an £18million transfer that stunned the Wearsiders by its timing.

The statement comes in light of comments made by Black Cats boss Steve Bruce and chairman Niall Quinn regarding the player's decision and attitude over the past few weeks.

Bruce told the media of his dismay at the 26-year-old's decision, claiming that he had felt "let down" by his decision.

Bruce also stated that Bent had not been himself in training and Sunderland had "certainly not seen the best of him in games in recent weeks - and we now understand why."

Quinn appeared to echo those sentiments as well as suggesting that Villa had approached the player long before the deal went through.

He told Kildare TV: "I had an inkling. Darren is a terrific guy and he has been great for us.

"Two or three weeks ago maybe, I went into the training ground and there was something up with him.

"I looked at his demeanour and I thought, 'It's not right'. Having been in the game, you kind of know when someone's got something going on in their heads.

"It transpired that that's what had happened. They were setting him up to try and come and he took the bait.

"It's hugely disappointing for us, but all we could do then was battle hard and, when the transfer request came in, that was probably the final nail."

Villa however countered these claims, stating on their official website that no approach had been made to the player prior to his former club's 1-1 draw with Newcastle at the Stadium of Light on Sunday.

"We understand Sunderland Football Club's need to explain to their naturally-disappointed supporters why Darren Bent has been allowed to leave their club," read the statement.

Disappointing

"It is disappointing, however, that Sunderland should try to besmirch the reputation of the player and Aston Villa Football Club in the process.

"We wish to make clear that at no time did Aston Villa make an inappropriate approach to the player or unfairly compromise the business of Sunderland Football Club.

"Darren only became aware of his possible transfer AFTER Sunderland's game against Newcastle on Sunday and AFTER we had agreed with Sunderland the essence of the deal, which led quickly to Darren's arrival at Villa Park on Tuesday.

"It is only because of some comments emanating from the Stadium of Light that we have felt compelled to respond and set the record straight."

So basically no days spent trying to hold on to him and persuading him to stay, simply a quick pocket of the cash and on your way son.

Defintely just a selling club.

Bent asked twice for a new contract on mega money, we knocked him back, refusing to break out wage structure. He spoke to his agent 6 weeks ago and they've been speaking to Villa since then, pretty much agreeing a move there.

Bent is nothing but a money grabbing prick. He's gaining nothing at all in moving to Villa apart from a bigger payslip. A sharp reminder to you that all this badge kissing means absolutely fuck all once a team comes in with more money.

I think we've got a great deal in all honesty. £24m for a player who didn't want to be at the club. We're guaranteed £18m of it as well, no matter how many games/goals he plays or scores. That could sort us a couple of midfielders that would be the difference between Europe and midtable.

And you say Bruce is a hypocrite, but he's only moved in his career to better himself as a manager, and not for money. He's said since joining us that it was no advantage to him financially to join us.

We'll not miss Bent as much as people make out either, he's done nothing at all this season and we're having the best season we've had in a long, long time. We play a different style of football now, we try to play the ball around and work opportunities, unlike last season where every ball was an attempt to release Bent through one on one.

So basically no days spent trying to hold on to him and persuading him to stay, simply a quick pocket of the cash and on your way son.

Defintely just a selling club.

I reckon Sunderland's version of events is more believable

Edited by Kitman

Bent asked twice for a new contract on mega money, we knocked him back, refusing to break out wage structure. He spoke to his agent 6 weeks ago and they've been speaking to Villa since then, pretty much agreeing a move there.

Bent is nothing but a money grabbing prick. He's gaining nothing at all in moving to Villa apart from a bigger payslip. A sharp reminder to you that all this badge kissing means absolutely fuck all once a team comes in with more money.

I think we've got a great deal in all honesty. £24m for a player who didn't want to be at the club. We're guaranteed £18m of it as well, no matter how many games/goals he plays or scores. That could sort us a couple of midfielders that would be the difference between Europe and midtable.

And you say Bruce is a hypocrite, but he's only moved in his career to better himself as a manager, and not for money. He's said since joining us that it was no advantage to him financially to join us.

We'll not miss Bent as much as people make out either, he's done nothing at all this season and we're having the best season we've had in a long, long time. We play a different style of football now, we try to play the ball around and work opportunities, unlike last season where every ball was an attempt to release Bent through one on one.

Most footballers are money grabbing pricks though. The price was very good for Bent, the key thing is how well you replace him. I think you'll miss him personally despite what you say.

Most footballers are money grabbing pricks though. The price was very good for Bent, the key thing is how well you replace him. I think you'll miss him personally despite what you say.

True. Give them more money and they'll move. Obviously there's odd exceptions like a few local lads, but they're all cut from the same cloth.

And aye, it is vital we replace him. A stop gap signing will do for now, no need to panic buy, just get someone in who'll do an average job and play when Welbeck/Gyan is injured. I don't think it'll be Bothroyd but I guess we'll wait and see, I think he'd do an alright 6 month job for what it's worth.

Wigan ITK reckons we have contacted them about the signing of N'Zogbia, him, a backup striker, and Sessegnon/Muntari would see us through to the summer where we can start to look at the long term replacement for Bent.

And I think Villas version of events is actually quite laughable. The deal was done essentially in one day, he went down there and agreed everything as soon as he heard Villa had bid. Load of bollocks. It's quite obvious that they'd been in contact with him well before all this happened.

For anyone who cares, here's a video here where Quinny pretty much tells the craic:

It's right at the start about Bents head getting turned.

N'Zogbia is a stroppy little wanker.

It'll be great to see how many massive U-turns there are. Lots of mackems mocking the signing of King Hatem XXXVII but when they get their own troublesome midfielder they'll soon pipe down and make it a positive thing.

It'll be great to see how many massive U-turns there are. Lots of mackems mocking the signing of King Hatem XXXVII but when they get their own troublesome midfielder they'll soon pipe down and make it a positive thing.

Being honest, this Bent thing has just made me realise how much I don't care about this anymore. In the end they'll probably shit on you. If he does a job here and leads us in Europe I'm sure we'll accept him being a miserable French twat. :lol:

And the only thing I knocked about HBA's signing was the fact he's injured. A bit of a gamble to sign someone with a broken leg, sometimes they don't come back the same player. We've seen it happen at SAFC with Edwards breaking his leg, before the injury he would fly past defenders, jump into tackles etc., yet when he came back he was shot of all confidence, was scared to beat a man, wouldn't go into any challenge. It was quite sad to see really, he had a promising future, I know he wasn't exactly young but he definitely had the quality to give the PL a proper go.

Being honest, this Bent thing has just made me realise how much I don't care about this anymore. In the end they'll probably shit on you. If he does a job here and leads us in Europe I'm sure we'll accept him being a miserable French twat. :lol:

And the only thing I knocked about HBA's signing was the fact he's injured. A bit of a gamble to sign someone with a broken leg, sometimes they don't come back the same player. We've seen it happen at SAFC with Edwards breaking his leg, before the injury he would fly past defenders, jump into tackles etc., yet when he came back he was shot of all confidence, was scared to beat a man, wouldn't go into any challenge. It was quite sad to see really, he had a promising future, I know he wasn't exactly young but he definitely had the quality to give the PL a proper go.

Carlos Edwards and Hatem Ben Arfa... peas in a pod.

30 year old Edwards suffers a leg break, having not too long before arrived from Luton Town where he had helped them to obtain relegation to the third tier of English Football playing in front of home crowds nearing 8,000.

23 year old Hatem Ben Arfa suffers a leg break, having not too long before arrived from Marseille where he had helped them become French Champions, winning the double taking out Lique 1 as well as the Coupe de la Ligue Final, playing in front of home crowds averaging over 50,000.

Carlos Edwards and Hatem Ben Arfa... peas in a pod.

30 year old Edwards suffers a leg break, having not too long before arrived from Luton Town where he had helped them to obtain relegation to the third tier of English Football playing in front of home crowds nearing 8,000.

23 year old Hatem Ben Arfa suffers a leg break, having not too long before arrived from Marseille where he had helped them become French Champions, winning the double taking out Lique 1 as well as the Coupe de la Ligue Final, playing in front of home crowds averaging over 50,000.

It makes no difference as to what standard they play at or have played at. Some people just get mental blocks, some don't, depends on the individual and how he copes with it.

That said, if he comes back the same player he was, £5m or whatever is a great price. Even if he uses you as a stepping stone which is fairly likely you'll be quids in. Win win I guess.

I always thought Edwards was a decent player. Watched him a few times at Luton.

PL is a tough, tough league though.

Jamie Redknapp quote that one. :lol:

And I thought he'd do a job in the Prem, nowt flash but he had excellent pace and could skip past a man and deliver. Sadly never got his chance and that leg break was the end of his top flight chances. I think he only actually played one game in the PL in the end. Doing fairly well at Ipswich now, couldn't even get a game for them last season! I guess having Keane in charge explains that though.

And I think Villas version of events is actually quite laughable. The deal was done essentially in one day, he went down there and agreed everything as soon as he heard Villa had bid. Load of bollocks. It's quite obvious that they'd been in contact with him well before all this happened.

For anyone who cares, here's a video here where Quinny pretty much tells the craic:

It's right at the start about Bents head getting turned.

yeah, yeah, blah blah Bent blah blah. Never mind that rubbish - who's the chick???? :lol:

And aye, it is vital we replace him. A stop gap signing will do for now, no need to panic buy, just get someone in who'll do an average job and play when Welbeck/Gyan is injured. I don't think it'll be Bothroyd but I guess we'll wait and see, I think he'd do an alright 6 month job for what it's worth.

Obviously the main problem of buying in January is the lack of quality options, especially with strikers. Almost better not to buy anyone and bring on a reserve than pick up a shite striker like Best who you're stuck with.

It makes no difference as to what standard they play at or have played at.

Bollocks, one thing that was a certain is that Carlos Edwards was never going to return and be at the same level as Hatem Ben Arfa.

Some people just get mental blocks, some don't, depends on the individual and how he copes with it.

His reaction in the field, coupled with the way he has handled it afterwards indicates that mentally Hatem Ben Arfa is extremely strong and can't wait to get back out on the pitch. All reports medical or otherwise have him healing extremely well. The regeneration of the bones is not a problem at all and physically he should return to 100% function, it's only where substancial ligament damage occurs that a return to full function is not expected.

Don't know or care the nature of Edwards injury, except to say that a 23 year old will recover from injury a lot better than a 30 year old.

That said, if he comes back the same player he was, £5m or whatever is a great price.

Agree. Even if he comes back as 80% of the player he was it's a great price.

Even if he uses you as a stepping stone which is fairly likely you'll be quids in. Win win I guess.

Backhanded compliments ahoy! You mean like Bent did with you guys? How much of your Bent money is going to Droopy's summer fund?

Darren Bent gets death threats as Aston Villa reject Sunderland claims• Villa deny making 'inappropriate approach' for striker

Bent told to 'Go and die' by angry fans on Twitter

Aston Villa have strongly defended their conduct in relation to Darren Bent's acrimonious transfer from Sunderland and insisted that at no point did they make an "inappropriate approach" to the striker. The Midlands club were moved to issue a statement after Niall Quinn, the Sunderland chairman, implied that Villa had tapped Bent up several weeks ago.

Bent, who has received death threats on Twitter after joining Villa for an initial £18m fee that could rise to as a high as £24m, expressed disappointment at Quinn's remarks as well as the comments Steve Bruce, the Sunderland manager, made the day before. Bruce said everyone at Sunderland had "the right to feel massively let down" and suggested Bent's transfer to Villa explained his poor form in recent weeks.

After Bent defended his actions when he was unveiled at a press conference on Tuesday night, Villa thought a line had been drawn under the episode. Quinn, however, subsequently poured fuel back on the fire during a television interview in Ireland when he did everything but accuse Villa of making an illegal approach forthe England international .

"Two or three weeks ago maybe, I went into the training ground and there was something up with him," he said. "I looked at his demeanour and I thought: 'It's not right.' Having been in the game, you kind of know when someone's got something going on in their head. It transpired that that's what had happened. They were setting him up to try and come and he took the bait."

Villa are furious with Quinn's comments and believe they are part of a face-saving exercise designed to placate Sunderland supporters aggrieved at the club's decision to sell their most valuable asset. Bent become aware of his possible transfer only after Sunday's game against Newcastle, according to Villa, who have pointed to the speed with which the transfer was completed as evidence of Sunderland's willingness to sell.

The Villa statement said: "We understand Sunderland Football Club's need to explain to their naturally disappointed supporters why Darren Bent has been allowed to leave. It is disappointing, however, that Sunderland should try to besmirch the reputation of the player and Aston Villa Football Club in the process. We wish to make clear that at no time did Aston Villa make an inappropriate approach to the player or unfairly compromise the business of Sunderland Football Club."

The move has taken a more sinister twist with the threats Bent has received for leaving Sunderland. One tweet said: "Hope you die painfully, remember what we did for you." Another stated: "Judas. Go and die." And a third said: "Hope you break your neck." Bent had said he would avoid Twitter because he expected to be "annihilated" by Sunderland fans.

The striker, who is set to make his Villa debut against Manchester City on Saturday, addressed the comments by Bruce and Quinn. "It's not nice obviously because you spent the best part of 18 months getting on perfectly well with the manager, the owners of the club, the whole football club, and then a day later they're all taking a dig at me. I am disappointed with the way it finished and what's happening now. At the same time I'm an Aston Villa player now and I can't really worry about what my ex-manager or chairman is saying about me. If they didn't want to sell me, they didn't have to."

CLASSY.

Someone on RTG saying he'll probably cancel his twitter account as every tweet will be met with abuse from their fans.

CLASSY.

Edited by Sima

He's your top goalscorer :lol:

Done nowt apart from score :lol:

If you just take away his goals where he got the winner / equaliser / only goal in a draw they'd be 6 points worse off. Makes a big difference in tight league. He's been off the boil the last few weeks but they'll miss him if the replacement isn't top notch.

Edited by alex

I don't understand the mentality of the Mackems regarding the Bent deal. £18 million is a good deal but without a ready made replacement waiting in the wings you will struggle. Money in the bank doesn't score goals.

I don't understand the mentality of the Mackems regarding the Bent deal. £18 million is a good deal but without a ready made replacement waiting in the wings you will struggle. Money in the bank doesn't score goals.

Quite straightforward really, they are incoherent idiots. Imagine the glee if we had sold Carroll for 35m.

It would be a disaster for us, its an opportunity for them. Aye, right.