Ashley's Transfer History thread

Happy Face

Paddocklad, I was only saying it's harder today to break into the top 4 not that it was easy back then. We also are only really looking at top 6 and we have instability and issues at other clubs to thank for that. I'm not making any point about our current situation other than we are moving in the right direction, not saying we have cracked anything yet just that the signs are positive and recent decisions have been consistent with a forward momentum.

Bolton fans said that when they flirted with the big boys, and so did Norwich. :icon_lol:

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on the contrary chum, I've been saying it for years, which is the exact point certain people on here who are backing out of this discussion, know is true but won't admit it.

We haven't been this highly-placed - "fleeting good position" - since Ashley took over. So how could you have been saying it for years?

oh dear.

What's really enjoyable about this forum is that you can jump into loads of debates where people are trying to argue black is White. The club is not moving in the right direction, I mean fucking hell do some of you lot not speak to people from outside the town or something. The whole fucking football world is nodding in our direction saying 'going well there' :lol: Breaking the top 4 now is just as easy as it was in 1992. Ask anyone!!!!!!? Fuck me, just speak to someone in the outside world and pose the question, you'll get a 100% consistent answer. No it's not. Newcastle's signing of Cissé and new deals for Krul and Colo are strong signals of increasing ambition. Not in NE5 it's not! We have a better team this year: no, no, no, no we don't, don't be fucking stupid. Love it :lol:

Wait a minute it was you who was claiming that it was easy in 93 but now we're challenging Arsenal,Chelsea and Liverpool "18 months after being in division 2" its difficult?

I happen to agree with what you're saying, but giving that as an example earlier in the thread isnt the best thing you couldve used to illustrate your point because what has happened since promotion contradicts what you're claiming. It has been relatively easy. and correct me if I'm wrong but the club also operated at a loss in 09 and 10?

We've acheived a lot quickly, and a lot of people share the credit for that including Ashley. But it was similar the last time we were promoted too. Remember we slipped back from 2nd to 7th in our second season in 95. This season barring a abysmal collapse our league placing will go up by about half a dozen places. Or is this part of your "its more difficult now" argument?

We dropped from 3rd to 6th because we sold our best striker without an adequate replacement comi.....wait a minute!!! :lol:

it was the managers decision.........and they backed him with all the money and more ? Or do you "disagree" :icon_lol:

It's impossible to compete with Man City, it's possible to compete with Spurs eventually but it will take time to build ourselves to that level of finances.

I thought you were ignoring me after you didn't bother telling me which parts of the earlier post were rubbish.

but it isn't so long ago that Spurs couldn't compete with us ? How has this turnaround happened ? Has it been easy for them to do that, to quote the current deluded rubbish being spouted by Chez ?

The turnaround has happened due to how the club was ran after Robson left, we were living beyond our means (which you've admitted yourself) and then struggled to shift on the players we handed big contracts to, which meant we were running at huge losses that we couldn't afford.

Spurs on the other hand bought good young players that they hoped would rise in value and sold some of them for big profits, they also worked on boosting the clubs income while keeping costs down, so they could use those profits to invest in more players.

but but but........I thought you said that the DOF system was the ONLY way to do it, and we would do the same under Wise and Keegan, even saying that Keegan should go and Wise should run the show to retain this DOF system ?

The truth is Spurs are now run by football men, and we are not, whereas the reverse was true when they were run by Alan Sugar [Mike Ashley's role model ?] and we were run by football men.

Have we or have we not made it easy for Spurs to climb above us, to borrow Chez's current cliche ?

If it is no more difficult today to break into the top 4 than it was back then, someone better stop Platini before he ruins football for everyone.

well, if Spurs can do it ? We aren't talking about Norwich or bolton here are we ?

Paddocklad, I was only saying it's harder today to break into the top 4 not that it was easy back then. We also are only really looking at top 6 and we have instability and issues at other clubs to thank for that. I'm not making any point about our current situation other than we are moving in the right direction, not saying we have cracked anything yet just that the signs are positive and recent decisions have been consistent with a forward momentum.

Cant disagree with any of that. The last 8 weeks have changed the way I think, I've been pleasantly surprised and I'm encouraged. We still shouldve signed a centre back mind. And I cant force myself to beleive Ashley won't fuck it all up or sell us to a money launderer for a fat profit now weve stopped losing money :(

I think what it is with Tottenham they are a club who have doubled in size in about 6 years, whereas we've stagnated. In 1998 we were financially above Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea. Spurs weren't even talking about. Between 98 and 2005 we were all similar financially not the vast differences there are now, but we needed to be on that champions league boat when it sailed away 2004-2006. The two London clubs became mega clubs, Liverpool fluked it and became members for 5 years, and Man Utd are the biggest club in the world. There's the CL boat which departed with Aaron Hughes woeful penalty and never came back, and also the emergence of London as a huge football powerhouse. We'd get about 30,000 max paying the ticket prices yid and Arsenal pay, that's no slight on us, people earn twice as much down there and can afford it. So there's no CL, the increasing London factor, Ashley, Souness, Ashley again, relegation and we're coming back up a little bit but it's a long way back but not impossible.

Spurs have progressed because they have a very low net spend and strict wage structure. They've made some great signings a few years ago and now their nucleus is comprised of players who have been there for years and have developed their potential.

FFS spunked money we didn't have on galactico wages and players who simply weren't going to maintain European football and championship charges.

But then again, since we used to streets ahead of Spurs and aren't now (save for 3 league places) it totally vindicates the way FFS was steering us down the path to financial ruin.

If it is no more difficult today to break into the top 4 than it was back then, someone better stop Platini before he ruins football for everyone.

I don't think it's possible for Everton, Villa or Sunderland to ever play Champions League football, forgetting about their squads. It would've been 10-15 years ago.

It's taken Spurs fucking years to 'do it', and they're still not going to get near to touching the front two this season. :lol: And that's exactly the thing he has absolutely no tolerance for whatsoever-having to do things gradually. If he was a Spurs fan you'd be able to find about six years worth of forum posts of him slagging the 'football men' in charge of his club off as they sold their best players.

What a fucking shambles. Chez and Gemmill have had his pants down the last few pages, and the lube has been left in the cupboard. :lol:

It's taken Spurs fucking years to 'do it', and they're still not going to get near to touching the front two this season. :lol: And that's exactly the thing he has absolutely no tolerance for whatsoever-having to do things gradually. If he was a Spurs fan you'd be able to find about six years worth of forum posts of him slagging the 'football men' in charge of his club off as they sold their best players.

What a fucking shambles. Chez and Gemmill have had his pants down the last few pages, and the lube has been left in the cupboard. :lol:

"The Sugars and The Scholars".

The turnaround has happened due to how the club was ran after Robson left, we were living beyond our means (which you've admitted yourself) and then struggled to shift on the players we handed big contracts to, which meant we were running at huge losses that we couldn't afford.

Spurs on the other hand bought good young players that they hoped would rise in value and sold some of them for big profits, they also worked on boosting the clubs income while keeping costs down, so they could use those profits to invest in more players.

but but but........I thought you said that the DOF system was the ONLY way to do it, and we would do the same under Wise and Keegan, even saying that Keegan should go and Wise should run the show to retain this DOF system ?

The truth is Spurs are now run by football men, and we are not, whereas the reverse was true when they were run by Alan Sugar [Mike Ashley's role model ?] and we were run by football men.

Have we or have we not made it easy for Spurs to climb above us, to borrow Chez's current cliche ?

I don't remember saying that was the only way you could do it at all, in fact I'm sort of stuck in between being annoyed and feeling sorry for you that you have to make things up on the internet to try and back up your point, but that's not nearly as sorry as I feel for you that you've let being right on the internet become more important than being able to enjoy the club pushing for Europe.

haha. You're an idiot. You've disagreed with me for years on points I've brought up which are all happening and all you can do is pounce upon a few opinions from 2 other people who don't go to games, based on results on the pitch over a few months to vindicate a way of running the club, which will never match the long term results of what happened before, and can't even address the points I've put into one post and invited you to comment on them.

You're an utter shambles of a man. You don't have the balls to admit that this is true. Long term I will be right. Will you bet me that we will not finish in the top 4 under Mike Ashley, yet Spurs have and according to you and others, we are doing it their way, which is an absolute joke.

Go back to sitting on the fence. The ultimate grey man.

Edited by LeazesMag

I don't remember saying that was the only way you could do it at all, in fact I'm sort of stuck in between being annoyed and feeling sorry for you that you have to make things up on the internet to try and back up your point, but that's not nearly as sorry as I feel for you that you've let being right on the internet become more important than being able to enjoy the club pushing for Europe.

while I continue to go to games chum, unlike most of the Ashley arse lickers on here [who were attracted to the club in the first place by the owners they now scorn for getting it all wrong by the way].

You're another shambles of a man, you fucked off from here with your tail between your legs, and now you are back because you're banned from NO. You can't even admit that you championed this DOF system including Wise running the club at the expense of Keegan.

haha. You're an idiot. You've disagreed with me for years on points I've brought up which are all happening and all you can do is pounce upon a few opinions from 2 other people who don't go to games, based on results on the pitch over a few months to vindicate a way of running the club, which will never match the long term results of what happened before, and can't even address the points I've put into one post and invited you to comment on them.

You're an utter shambles of a man. You don't have the balls to admit that this is true. Long term I will be right. Will you bet me that we will not finish in the top 4 under Mike Ashley, yet Spurs have and according to you and others, we are doing it their way, which is an absolute joke.

Just quoting this so Sammy can see how rattled you are. :lol:

Finishing top 6 now is equivalent of finishing top 4 before abramovich and the oil barons arrived. I'll take a bet on top 6.

When you look at a defence which was on occasion Aaron Hughes, O'Brien, Caldwell, and Griffin, I'd say you're right which makes a mockery of HTT's crack saying Pardew has done worse than Hughton is he doesn't come 6th. Liverpool were shit 2002-2006, shit, even though they won the CL, they were fuckin shit, they were our main opponents FFS, Everton with best player Lee Carsley came 4th one year.

:lol:

What a stool.

Leazes man don't bother asking me to comment on stuff, I can't see your stuff unless it's quoted. I put you on ignore months back you daft sack. You're wasting your time.

They sold players for significant profit and bought good cheaper replacements without spending all the cash they brought in.

Just quoting this in the hope Leazes won't ignore it twice.

Hilarious isn't it, he brings up Spurs, asks a question, which I answer and he goes off on a "oh no usual bollocks about Spurs again" rant :D

I might start a poll. Do you think

a) Breaking into the top 4 without even a net spend (let alone the £400m suggested) is still possible, like it was in 1992?

B) Spurs are just lucky?

Both can't be true. Some people want LM to argue one, some want him to argue the other.

Spurs have reinvested the money they've accrued very well and broken into the top 4.

:lol:

What a stool.

Leazes man don't bother asking me to comment on stuff, I can't see your stuff unless it's quoted. I put you on ignore months back you daft sack. You're wasting your time.

just more reason to actually reply, so people can see what a bairn you are. :icon_lol:

Why not reply to the points I've raised in post nr 1373, this is what I've been saying for years, that you have said were rubbish. This is for you and Gemmill - do you still not agree the club is just an advertisment vehicle for Sports Direct ? Do you still think they won't sell their best players for monetary gain ? These are 2 of the things I've posted, that you have said in the past were "rubbish".

In case you missed it, here it is again

http://www.toontastic.net/board/topic/29569-ashleys-transfer-history-thread/page__st__1360__p__1047534#entry1047534

So lets see your comments. And to re-iterate a point in the last post, as you agree with the deluded fools who think we are "doing it like Spurs", are you prepared to bet me that we don't finish in the top 4 under Mike Ashley, like Spurs have done [and our own previous owners for that matter, who DID do it like Spurs are doing now] ?

Edited by LeazesMag

Finishing top 6 now is equivalent of finishing top 4 before abramovich and the oil barons arrived. I'll take a bet on top 6.

how come nobody before our last owners finished top 4 before Abramovic if it was so easy ? Your statement where you said this, only tells me you are naive and completely oblivious to football in the 1960's, 70's and 80's. On that basis you ought to listen to what I tell you.

Why don't you respond to my post where I asked you why we don't sell our worst players, rather than the best ones, and bring in these quality players ?

This is the difference between a build and improve policy, as opposed to a sell and replace. You do understand this concept , don't you ?

Edited by LeazesMag

• Spending 10m on Cisse
  • Not flogging anyone
  • Giving two of your best players new contracts

Which of the above is a 2nd rate selling club strategy? I mean, lets stick to the facts here ffs. Have i missed something?

Selling Carroll for stupid money, offloading a trouble maker in Barton and flogging Nolan after getting the best out of him now he's on the way down. Absolutely crazy business

Also, I don't get why LM keeps on about 14th biggest revenues? Doesn't really help when 80-90% of it is spunked on wages as it was previously.

Do we still have the 14th biggest revenues?

I might start a poll. Do you think

a) Breaking into the top 4 without even a net spend (let alone the £400m suggested) is still possible, like it was in 1992?

B) Spurs are just lucky?

Both can't be true. Some people want LM to argue one, some want him to argue the other.

Spurs have reinvested the money they've accrued very well and broken into the top 4.

It comes down to the manager and the quality of replacement players, because every team has to replace players if/when a bigger fish or a seriously big offer comes along (see Man U and Ronaldo as the extreme example of the big fish getting out-big fished).

Net transfer spend is irrelevant as a measure of anything, it's what you spend (however frugal) and how it's spent that's important and that comes back to the manager (and his set up).

a) is possible - Spurs have proven that, given their net spend (across all facets of the club - which is an important point, nee ying without the yang) does not show a net spend overall. That is the ultimate wholly sustainable model, when they've had to sell to buy they have, they've never "taken a punt" or a risk of any significance.

"utter shambles of a man" :lol:

I think I'm going to follow mancmag and put Leazes on the ignore list, honestly I can feel my life slipping away getting pulled into the same debate with made up quotes that I've apparently said and his post generated responses.