Ashley's Transfer History thread

Happy Face

Sorry to be picky, but I would be more inclined to say he has financed our declining income, rather than make us financially stable. Freddy Shepherd could have stopped buying expensive players too. Ashley's done no more than that.

Agree though, just waiting it out until the TV money went up made the club a far better prospect...if he doesn't get us relegated again.

Isnt that a bit of an oxy-moron though?...I take your point completley, but can you actually finance a decline in income?...do you mean he's kept the club going after relegation, and has (mostly) kept us off his back by freezing season ticket prices, which has lead to income being lower(?) than what it was in 2007ish when he came in?...

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isnt that a bit of an oxy-moron though?...I take your point completley, but can you actually finance a decline in income?...do you mean he's kept the club going after relegation, and has (mostly) kept us off his back by freezing season ticket prices, which has lead to income being lower(?) than what it was in 2007ish when he came in?...

Sorry, i mean the income has declined and the outgoings have been maintained, so he has financed the losses that were incurred as a result.

Commercial income has halved. Matchday is down a third. Wages have gone up, along with total operating expenses. That's not more financially stable. It's just having an owner that can afford to cover the worsening financial position.

TV money is now up £30m now (thankfully), so he can claim he's overseen a financial turnaround on the back of that. Perhaps maintaing a premier league place makes him worthy of praise for it...but that was never a luxury we afforded Freddy Shepherd.

Sorry, i mean the income has declined and the outgoings have been maintained, so he has financed the losses that were incurred as a result.

Commercial income has halved. Matchday is down a third. Wages have gone up, along with total operating expenses. That's not more financially stable. It's just having an owner that can afford to cover the worsening financial position.

TV money is now up £30m now (thankfully), so he can claim he's overseen a financial turnaround on the back of that. Perhaps maintaing a premier league place makes him worthy of praise for it...but that was never a luxury we afforded Freddy Shepherd.

It's profitable now, it's not a "worsening" financial position by any stretch and is definitely in that respect, a financial turnaround any way you want to slice it.

Whether said profits go back in, of course, is an entirely different matter.

It's profitable now, it's not a "worsening" financial position by any stretch and is definitely in that respect, a financial turnaround any way you want to slice it.

Whether said profits go back in, of course, is an entirely different matter.

161l5ao.jpg

When compared with other top flight regulars, the ONLY club to be on a downward trend in earnings from non media streams.

That's a damning table for Ashley and co. but potentially some great opportunity waiting there for a future owner. Of course if the image and reputation of the club continues to be driven into the ground the opportunity decreases as in this climate it's hard to come back. We're already not of the same interest we were 5-10 years ago. Small time thinking has lead to small time dealings.

That's a damning table for Ashley and co. but potentially some great opportunity waiting there for a future owner. Of course if the image and reputation of the club continues to be driven into the ground the opportunity decreases as in this climate it's hard to come back. We're already not of the same interest we were 5-10 years ago. Small time thinking has lead to small time dealings.

There's massive room for improvement.

Edited by Park Life

There's massive room for improvement.

Before Llambias had a sudden pang of self respect he was fond of saying there's nothing more that can be done....apart from raising ticket prices. Do Puma pay more than Addidas? I hate being fair to Ashley but I think his tenure here corresponding with the recession has had an impact too.

Before Llambias had a sudden pang of self respect he was fond of saying there's nothing more that can be done....apart from raising ticket prices. Do Puma pay more than Addidas? I hate being fair to Ashley but I think his tenure here corresponding with the recession has had an impact too.

How can you offer that excuse when no other club has seen a downturn, let alone to such a massive extent. Its clearly a result of relegation and the way he has tarnished the club name and chased off customers that could still afford it, like Gemmil.

Wasn't the new deal adidas made with Chelsea worth £200m over ten years as long as certain targets were met? You've got to be in it to win it.

Of course there is, let's put ticket prices up to the equivalent of Spurs/Arsenal, that'll work well.

People wont pay through the roof for mediocrity hence some tickets being cheaper. That's why it's about a fiver in the local non-league scene.

Of course there is, let's put ticket prices up to the equivalent of Spurs/Arsenal, that'll work well.

Want to increase commercial income without increasing ticket prices wholesale? Don't flog the shirt sponsor for £4m less than the previous year? Sell broadcast rights to friendly games? Attract new investments by demanding the manager has the team playing attractive football on the pitch? Attract new investments by enthusing the league with fresh talent from abroad and emmerging talent from the youth system?

Certainly makes more sense to me than the current strategy which is doomed to fail. Get by on threadbare squad, sell any starlets, only buy when you absolutely have to, and hope to God that it is enough.

Don't flog the shirt sponsor for £4m less than the previous year? I very much doubt they wanted to do that, I also doubt whether it was actually £4m less.

Sell broadcast rights to friendly games? Again I'm sure they would have if they could. The friendlies in the previous pre-season made for dull viewing and the games this year weren't much better. We're not exactly a huge draw for Europe's elite these days.

Attract new investments by demanding the manager has the team playing attractive football on the pitch? It's a simple cost benefit thing, it'd cost more than it'd bring in and would require a modicum of ambition.

Attract new investments by enthusing the league with fresh talent from abroad and emmerging talent from the youth system? That has been the plan.

Don't flog the shirt sponsor for £4m less than the previous year? I very much doubt they wanted to do that, I also doubt whether it was actually £4m less.

Sell broadcast rights to friendly games? Again I'm sure they would have if they could. The friendlies in the previous pre-season made for dull viewing and the games this year weren't much better. We're not exactly a huge draw for Europe's elite these days.

Attract new investments by demanding the manager has the team playing attractive football on the pitch? It's a simple cost benefit thing, it'd cost more than it'd bring in and would require a modicum of ambition.

Attract new investments by enthusing the league with fresh talent from abroad and emmerging talent from the youth system? That has been the plan.

1. Well, Virgin have stated they were prepared to bid but weren't given the option
  2. You don't buy the rights to a friendly because it'll be great entertainment, you buy the rights to a pre-season friendly because you can sell the advertising slots. Sky don't spunk millions on the Premier League because Stoke at home to Fulham is a mouthwatering fixture. It's because no matter which team is playing, no matter which competition it is, hundreds of thousands of daft fucks will watch it and will be saturated in Betting, insurance, car and beer adverts.
  3. I don't believe that. I think the reason Newcastle United get on tv so much is the brand of football that we traditionally play (despite that not being the case for quite some time). If we become more like Stoke, we'll get less tv time.
  4. If that was the plan why didn't we try harder to join the (now defunct) NextGen series? Why hasn't our academy acheived a higher rating? It would cost a couple of million, that's why is hasn't.
Edited by The Fish

In the summer the club should be touring Jpn,China,S.Korea or Singapore that's where all the shirts are sold...Or buy up and coming players from one or two of those areas. It's a simple thing.

Kagawa is the 3rd biggest shirt sales player on the planet...

http://www.soccerbox.com/blog/how-clubs-summer-tours-boost-premier-league-shirt-sales/

Edited by Park Life

:D

Bastards. I should ring for a freelancers rate payment... Or at least an acknowledgement.

I don't think it's a profit at all unless those fees inc agent fees, add ons and loyalty payments. That's your 18m right there. ;)

In the summer the club should be touring Jpn,China,S.Korea or Singapore that's where all the shirts are sold...Or buy up and coming players from one or two of those areas. It's a simple thing.

All I'd ask is what have Spurs done in the last decade?...they're the blueprint for every half decent sized club in the league tbh.

All I'd ask is what have Spurs done in the last decade?...they're the blueprint for every half decent sized club in the league tbh.

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/WO1308/S00312/aia-announces-sponsorship-of-tottenham-hotspur-football-club.htm

http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/article/1189953/armours-top-marketer-spurs-speaking-nikes-name-wearing-womens-lingerie

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15017076

Levy is ruthless and so are Spurs in brand development....Players like Bale become brands in their own right for shirt sales around the world etc...Every team must have one or two core players who can lock down the overall appeal of the side for marketing and sponsorship...Who do we have???

Some of their shirt and club sponsorhip deals are huge. Took time but they have really been working on it now for quite a few years....The shirt sponsorhip is 20m iirc...They have seperate cup and league sponsors...

Website has 7 blue chip sponsors on the nav page...It's another planet.

Edited by Park Life

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/WO1308/S00312/aia-announces-sponsorship-of-tottenham-hotspur-football-club.htm

http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/article/1189953/armours-top-marketer-spurs-speaking-nikes-name-wearing-womens-lingerie

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15017076

Levy is ruthless and so are Spurs in brand development....Players like Bale become brands in their own right for shirt sales around the world etc...Every team must have one or two core players who can lock down the overall appeal of the side for marketing and sponsorship...Who do we have???

Some of their shirt and club sponsorhip deals are huge. Took time but they have really been working on it now for quite a few years....The shirt sponsorhip is 20m iirc...They have seperate cup and league sponsors...

Website has 7 blue chip sponsors on the nav page...It's another planet.

The thing that may fuck them over is the new stadium build. I understand why Levy wanted the Olympic Stadium.

As you and others have said, have a big,clear vision and if you have a decent fanbase the big boys will lavish cash on you. I think Adidas took one look at Hall, Keegan and us lot in the 90s and saw ££££££££££ signs pinging up in front of their eyes. They cleared off as soon as they could after Ashley took over. And their last strip for us was the best we've had since the grandad collar/broon bottle 90s effort, apart from the big patch on the back. I got one bought for me, I've worn it maybe 3 times, its fabulous. I cant see the patch :)

I can honestly say a proper marketing and branding team would triple our non-media earnings in 5 years without breaking sweat...The club is run by meer cats. ;)

Edited by Park Life