Andy Carroll aftermath(press conf/interviews etc)

Barney

ALAN Pardew today hit back at Andy Carroll’s claim he was forced out of St James’s Park.

And Newcastle United’s manager also insisted he has been promised that Carroll’s £35m-plus fee will be reinvested in the team by owner Mike Ashley.

Carroll last night completed a transfer deadline day move to Liverpool after handing in a written transfer request.

But the striker told friends in a series of texts he didn’t want to leave Newcastle – and had been forced out because the United “wanted the money”.

However, Pardew says Carroll – who signed a new long-term contract in October – approached him about a new contract after training, and handed a transfer request in when the club baulked at renegotiating his deal so soon after it was signed.

Asked about Carroll’s texts, Pardew told the Gazette: “What can I say? We didn’t force anybody to leave.

“I disagree with that point. He had a contract here for five years, and at some point it would get renewed, but for him to sign in October and it get renewed in January – where would it stop?

“Personally, I’m disappointed. He’s a lovely lad, and I really like him, but it was his decision, and you can’t change that.

“Was this about football? That’s what you have to ask. I don’t think it was.”

Liverpool moved for Carroll after Chelsea hardened their interest in Fernando Torres, who last night joined Chelsea in a British-record £48m deal.

Pardew went on: “We turned down a big offer, and they came back with a second big offer.

“We were having a discussion about what we were going to do with that offer when Andy requested to see me.

“I went to see Andy, and face to face we had a conversation about him wanting a new contract, even though he signed on in October, and (he said) if he didn’t get that contract, he wanted go.

“I asked him what he wanted, and I went to the board. We had a discussion about what the ramifications would be for the whole club.

“We took the view, with him signing a contract in October, that this would cause us all sorts of problems.

“We decided that we needed the conversation confirmed, and he put in a transfer request, which he did.

“He spoke to his agent, and between them they put the request in. We decided with the size of the offer, and what it meant to us, that we would accept.”

Pardew – who “guaranteed” Carroll wouldn’t be sold after succeeding Chris Hughton in December – was unable to bring in a replacement given the last-minute nature of the deal, which was confirmed less than an hour before transfer-window deadline.

With Wayne Routledge and Xisco having left on loan, and only Stephen Ireland having signed, Pardew’s squad is significantly weaker than it was a month ago.

However, Pardew has taken Ashley’s assurances that the fee will be spent on players in the summer, and beyond, at face value.

“We weren’t expecting him to go, so we weren’t in a position to replace him,” added Pardew.

“One thing I can guarantee, having spoke to Mike Ashley, is that every penny will go back into the club. Mike’s assured me he won’t take a penny out of the transfer.”

And asked about his repeated assurances that Carroll wouldn’t be sold, Pardew said: “We never put him up for sale – we fended off a bid from another Premiership club.

“But no club’s about one player. We’re absolutely gutted that he’s gone. It’s disappointing, but we’re not in a financial position like Liverpool.”

Edited by Barney

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

towing the party line. the main reason he was appointed. hughton was the master at deflecting difficult questions but he would have struggled here. probably why he isn't out boss anymore. he isn't a liar and he saw this coming.

even IF any of that is true, it's the boy who cried wolf with this lot.

The owner and chairmen are PROVEN liars and manipulaters and Pardew is a dishonourable suckarse.

Andy likely to be manipulated by smarter stakeholders on all sides, even if he went in asking for more he was probably forced into that by his agent/Liverpool.

Money has ruined the game, at least we had a good decade or so.

Edited by trophyshy

Anyone got the quote where he had "100% assurance" that Carroll wouldn't leave? Come summer, I bet we bring in more than we spend again.

Jan 17

"They can put together whatever they like. He is not for sale. I am going to say it one last time, he is not for sale."

even IF any of that is true, it's the boy who cried wolf with this lot.

The owner and chairmen are PROVEN liars and manipulaters and Pardew is a dishonourable suckarse.

Andy likely to be manipulated by smarter players on all sides, even if he went in asking for more he was probably forced into that by his agent/Livrepool.

Money has ruined the game, at least we had a good decade or so.

Sir Bob touched on this in his book regarding Shearer/Liverpool.

As soon as another club start testing the water with improved wages to one of your own, the player expect an improved contract at their own club.

Anyone got the quote where he had "100% assurance" that Carroll wouldn't leave? Come summer, I bet we bring in more than we spend again.

Jan 17

"They can put together whatever they like. He is not for sale. I am going to say it one last time, he is not for sale."

"Oh don't put THAT together. Oh Miiiiiiike. Look what Liverpool have gone and put together."

Jan 17

Just another in the long string of lies.

:lol: Mike assured me we wouldn't sell Andy Carroll. He's now assuring me we will spend all of the money in the summer. Can't say fairer than that, guv.

Ashley hasn't actually said that though, Pardew has been told that it's going into the club, not necessarily into transfers.

:lol: Mike assured me we wouldn't sell Andy Carroll. He's now assuring me we will spend all of the money in the summer. Can't say fairer than that, guv.

Ashley hasn't actually said that though, Pardew has been told that it's going into the club, not necessarily into transfers.

Back into the club probably means paying off some of the Fat Mans loan....

Jan 17

Just another in the long string of lies.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/te...assurances.html

The problem here is as well, even if Ashley did decide to put the money back in to the club which i seriously doubt, it gives him an excuse to not actually 'spend' any money. Even if we spent £35m in the summer, we would sell a couple of players as always and he would still be in a net positive position