Dutty Custard

Dr Gloom

I still think he's the best striker we have now. Ameobi has more experience on his side but when it comes to effort, speed, raw skill, Ranger beats him hands down.

He could do with a season in the Championship like Carrol had to see if he can cut it.

Shola isn't great but his goal record over the last 18 months has been alright. He offers more at present imo. Nothing against Ranger and I agree about his going out on loan. It's ridiculous expecting the kid to cut the custard in the PL at present.

fyp

Took me a while but :lol:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think he's the best striker we have now. Ameobi has more experience on his side but when it comes to effort, speed, raw skill, Ranger beats him hands down.

He could do with a season in the Championship like Carrol had to see if he can cut it.

It says a lot when you're proposing a player with two career league goals as our best striker.

And there's a good chance that Ranger will get his season in the Championship next year, with us.

Shola isn't great but his goal record over the last 18 months has been alright. He offers more at present imo. Nothing against Ranger and I agree about his going out on loan. It's ridiculous expecting the kid to cut the mustard in the PL at present.

Alex, I've just noticed that you have over FIFTY THOUSAND POSTS!!!! :lol:

I'm so disillusioned with our strikers - I'd consider just playing Nolan up front till Shola's back.

I'd go (seriously)

Harper

Simpson, Campbell, Williamsons, Enrique

Ryan Taylor, Barton Guthrie (oh dear) Collocini Jonas

Nolan

Straight up.

Idiotic shifting Routledge too ffs.

eh? nee Tiote like?

Shola isn't great but his goal record over the last 18 months has been alright. He offers more at present imo. Nothing against Ranger and I agree about his going out on loan. It's ridiculous expecting the kid to cut the mustard in the PL at present.

Equates to somewhere in the region of thirty thousand words.

It's a tad harsh to single Ranger out for criticism iyam.

He should have been out on loan this season, but due to our lack of striking options that hasn't happened unfortunately.

Again, this.

Can't understand why all the blame gets leveled at him. I get the impression some people don't like him because of his attitude or style off the pitch, or stuff like this -

l_57b89ccccc521c2d589777d9d030d66a.gif

Leon Best is older and was probably even worse last night, as Pardew pointed out funnily enough (not sure doing that in public was a great idea).

Edited by Tecato

Equates to somewhere in the region of thirty thousand words.

:icon_lol:

Each one a jewel mind.

Ranger's a bit like Lomana Lua Lua for me, gives the impression and possibly has the potential at first look, is a bit tricky, but in the long run doesn't look like he can be arsed to apply himself.

Am going to say the lesson of watching Carroll develop from being fairly ineffective into a dominant centre-forward should give some pause for thought. The rapid development of Carroll as a player was not about suddenly gaining more control of the ball, his body or improved technique as a player. It was (presumably) based on his innate ability translating into performances through time on the pitch, scoring goals and gaining the ultimate state for a football player, confidence.

That's pure speculation to be fair mate, none of us know what went on behind the scenes, though it seems players like Nolan et al took Carroll under their wing and he was much more a part of the squad than Ranger, who, when he isn't playing for the reserves, is pratting about with a parrot and getting stupid tattoos. I'd say it's pretty obvious Carroll is more dedicated during training, given the complaints about Ranger from management and also looking at how Carroll applies himself on the pitch: the lad puts a fucking good shift in, this was even when he was in the Championship and fairly shit.

I think Carroll's technique has improved over the last 2-3 years and I also think the confidence you mention is not something that just comes to every player, it's part of having a winning mentality, something Ranger clearly lacks. He seems to lack any sort of concentration or mental application. As has been said though, this is a player who should be going on loan in the lower leagues and is not worthy of the criticism he is receiving. Aim it towards those who have got the squad into this state, where we have a young player who would struggle in the championship as one of our main strikers.

A few people behind the scenes have always rated Carroll as well. Haven't heard the same things about Ranger really.

A lot of people didnt rate him either. Keegan seemingly being one judging by his comments earlier in the season.

Not sure what comments you're on about tbh mate but KK did say something along the lines of him being the third best header of a ball he'd seen or worked with. Presumably behind AS and Sir Les.

Btw, I haven't heard anything re: writing Ranger off.

Edited by alex

fucking hell, shola's injury confirmed as a multiple cheekbone and jaw fracture. there's no quick return from an injury like that. 6 weeks minimum you'd guess

Mental. It looked innocuous at the time.

KK did sound somewhat surprised at his progress. I think I remember him commenting on it suring the Villa 6-0 game. It might be in that thread.

Yeah, thats what I was referring to. He seemed doubtful that AC could become an England striker.

He did mention that he was good at heading in the same segment but thats all he was being complimentary about .