Happy Face

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Classy club and classy fans.

Thanks very much :-)

I thought you were being ironic with your profile pic

Ironic about German accents? Ironic about Barton supplying crosses?

How the fuck can you have a go at Sunderland about a lack of class when you employ people like Barton and are owned by fucking Mike Ashley. :lol:

Fucking Newcastle. :lol::o;)

How the fuck can you have a go at Sunderland about a lack of class when you employ people like Barton and are owned by fucking Mike Ashley. :lol:

That has fuck all to do with my avatar drawing comparisons to Joey Barton as a comical German though. You're both as thick as each other and a right couple of Walter Mittys to boot.

Akin to your trophy count - SAFC do beat NUFC on one important point - the number of times the club has been found guilty of illegal payments.

That has fuck all to do with my avatar drawing comparisons to Joey Barton as a comical German though. You're both as thick as each other and a right couple of Walter Mittys to boot.

you have Barton as your picture. Then post "class club, class fans" so I was right in what I said.

I won't wait for an apology

We could talk for hours about classy Sunderland players.

Rape allegations, dodgy sex videos, Assaults, players being banned from every pub in their home town...etc etc

northeast.jpg

You can see why they'd get upset, like :o

What the fuck has half those pictures got to do with anything? :lol:

Funny how you post a pic of the SoL at half time or full time and then a picture of the large part of the lopsided sportsdirect.com@Stjamespark. :lol:

article-0-02C8E49F00000578-74_468x286.jpg

5362756151_b06a2508af.jpg

??

That looks like an utterly shite version of our Black & White version you copied.

(Haha that was the game after JFK was appointed, Spurs in the league cup - He watched from the stands, I got in for £10)

you have Barton as your picture. Then post "class club, class fans" so I was right in what I said.

No he didn't.

If you're going to quote, quote.

Jesus, mackems aren't educated are they?

Fucking Newcastle. :o;):blush:

:lol: Oh dear. Don't get into little internet fights if you can't read properly.

Push on or cut back? Why Sunderland's losses mean Quinn, Short and Bruce are at a crucial crossroads

By Simon Bird

Published 23:00 21/02/11

There is an old joke in football's boardrooms.

Q. How do you become a millionaire?

A. Be a billionaire, and buy a football club.

Best not tell that one down at Sunderland, where it is increasingly relevant to wonder: How deep are the pockets of owner Ellis Short?

How much longer will he be prepared to pump £28 million a year, for that is the sum he balanced the books with last season, and the year before, to get Sunderland competing in the top ten?

Are Sunderland nearing the end of an unsustainable journey? Their current income, £65.4 million a year, is so out of kilter with spending which for the year to July 2010 stood at £96 million.These are the issues chairman Niall Quinn and tycoon Short are grappling with behind the scenes at the Stadium of Light.

It seems that Sunderland are at a crossroads.

If Short is happy to burn cash (last year he loaned the club £22 million and £6 million) in the short term, there won't be a problem.

If Short wants Sunderland to start to break even, major cut backs will be needed. Specifically on transfer spending and the club's wage bill, which stood at a massive 82 per cent of turnover, £53.7 million, last summer.

Does this explain why a deal was done so swiftly to sell Darren Bent in January? An injection of £18 million, rising to £24 million, certainly helps this season's accounts.

These are not popular questions to ask. Fans like to imagine there is a bottomless pit of cash from a billionaire benefactor. And indeed, so far, there is no suggestion that Short will turn off the tap.

He bought Sunderland cheaply from the Irish Drumaville group, and he wants to build it into a asset worth perhaps ten times his purchase price. And have some fun along the way as an owner and football fan.

There has been progress. Steve Bruce has been backed to build his playing staff, he has largely bought well, and shaped a team that is threatening to match the seventh place finishes that Peter Reid's side achieved ten years ago.

These really are, on the pitch, very good times on Wearside.

But there is a sticking point, tempering the optimism and hope.

Back in the Reid era, when a trip to the new Stadium of Light was a novelty, and his team were a band of brothers who grew with the club, attendances were regularly topping 46,000.

The current revival under Short, Quinn and Bruce has actually seen attendances fall. Gate receipts for last season plunged by £1 million, to £12.6 million.

And there is the problem. Unless crowds increase to Quinn's 44,000 target, pushing up turnover and making Wearside an even more intimidating place to visit, Sunderland's progress may stall. Quinn says so himself.

The vision Quinn sold to Short when he contemplated a takeover was of investment first, to improve the squad, followed by what Quinn believed would be increased attendances and a rocking home crowd. Investment offset by increasing turnover as Sunderland grew off the pitch.

But income has stagnated. Falls in sponsorship, merchandising and conferencing have been offset by the rising cash from the tv deal.

And here is the knot of the problem. The recession hits the North worse, and Sunderland fans will be suffering more than most as cuts bite.

It is not a question of loyalty, it is a question of money. The first luxury to go in households is likely to be expensive trips to the Stadium of Light.

Quinn is right to try and cajole fans back. That is his job.

But watching a match in a pub, (illegally broadcast or not) over two or three pints costs under a tenner. Turning up at the Stadium of Light, even with its progressive ticket prices (among the best in the country) could cost three times that.

Quinn will take a road-show around the region to win back fans. Last time he did it four years ago, it was evangelical, and it inspired.

He says: "If I don't win them back, the club may have to downsize and cut its cloth differently. It'll be difficult to follow up on the current investment and players may have to be sold.

"Manchester United have just announced turnover of £289m; ours is £64m. We can't compete financially with that.

"Our missing 10,000 fans cost us £1.8m over the season so a figure like that won't make the difference in allowing us to compete - it is those fans being inside the ground and making it a hostile place for visiting sides that makes the difference.

"What I want from our fans is their atmospheric input. That's what makes the place special. If they don't come back, we may not be the club I thought we were and could be."

Economic realities are hitting home at Sunderland.

Thats the top and bottom of this, and its got them to 7th, 2 points ahead of us, a newly promoted bag of shite....

Quinn can moan all he wants, we're averaging 40k this season, and in an area massively hit by the recession and struggling like mad for money, that is a superb average attendance and any club in the country would be proud of it.

And we aren't missing "10,000 fans", I have no idea where he plucked that figure from.

I love Quinny but the man is horribly wrong on this and it's not exactly giving the club a good reputation in the press.

You've got an average of 39k this season 35k in all competitions. I know I'd be gutted if our crowds dropped to that, even in the championship our average was over 43k.

The Liverpool game has already sold 40k tickets with 3 weeks to go, our average this season will be ~40-41k.

And the Mackem vs Geordie/City vs city thing that's happened in this thread is a bit childish. :lol:

The repeated tirades by St Niall Quinn towards his Mackem constituents get funnier by the second. Ever since the Drumaville Paveys parked their Hiaces on the SoS forecourt, all Newcastle fans have heard from all sections of the media both local and national, is how well the Unwashed are run compared to the goings-on at SJP. Despite Charlie Chawke’s Circus People rumbling off in to the distance, to be replaced by shadowy American billionaire Ellis Short, the unchallenged mantra among print and broadcast commentators is that the ruling elite on Wearside are doing things so much better than those on Tyneside. Frankly, to anyone who believes in proper fan ownership, being asked to make a choice between Short or Ashley is like asking whether you’d find Mubarak preferable to Gaddafi. These club-owning oligarchs are modern day despots; do not delude yourself otherwise. Quinn, who either pimped the club he purports to love or astutely secured investment funding from a surprising source, depending on your view, trousers the thick end of £1m per annum in basic salary payment, which isn’t bad considering he presided over a business that turned in a £26m annual loss for 2009/2010.

However, despite his unconvincingly dyed hair, smarmy grin and bland populism, it was undeniable that Quinn seemed less of a walking public relations disaster than the Ashley and Llambias operation has been. That is until Mr Charity started to veer wildly “off message” after the Darren Bent transfer. Whatever one’s response to that deal (hysterical amusement in my case), it is a cast iron fact that money talked. I could have accepted Bent’s logic if he’d been honest and said he was off to Villa Park simply because he wanted to double his already fantastic salary, but I saw no truth in his claims that he was going to further his England chances by moving to a bigger club. Much as it pains me to say it, the Mackems were one of only 8 Premier League teams who started this season with no fear of relegation, as were Villa, until O’Neill walked out on them. Houllier’s administration will probably keep Villa up, but they have now joined the doubting dozen and turned it in to the terrified thirteen, all of whom have the single stated aim of finishing at least 17th. Will the Mackems’ tribulations turn it in to a fearful fourteen, or are they ready to implode any day now?

On the face of it, the £24m that sunderland made from the Bent deal ought to have been enough to push them on to improve the squad (as with anything to do with the North East, naysayers will be jumping up and down to make comparisons with Ashley’s £35m for Carroll; it simply isn’t relevant here to compare the two teams, as everyone knows Ashley has no intention of spending any cash he receives), especially as a so-called “well run” club they would want to push on. Instead, they signed a bargain replacement in Sessegnon, presumably as replacement for David Healy, and took the terminally grumpy and unreliable Muntari on loan, but for what purpose remains as yet unclear, making a nice, fat £18m profit in the transfer window. Sadly, as this money was earmarked to pay off part of the debt accrued by signing Bent in the first place; it is fair to say Fernando Torres was not on Steve Bruce’s shopping list.

Consequently, it has become crystal clear that Short is not prepared to bankroll them any longer. Presumably, Quinn bullshitted Short saying that a half decent sunderland side would sell their ground out. Instead, they’re still bumping along with an average of less than 40k attending, which bearing in mind the club’s growing debt, is worrying. While calling them the north east’s crisis club may be a little premature, they have lost 3 off the bounce, with some seriously tough fixtures ahead and the inescapable fact that were Short to pull the plug now, any deduction for going in to administration would see them plunged in to the bottom 3.

Perhaps these contextualising features help to explain quite why Niall Quinn has decided to go public over the fact he despises the 10,000 stayaways who have stopped watching sunderland. His scattergun ravings about on-line streaming and pubs showing questionably legal broadcasts of games on foreign channels seem to have divided a notoriously fractious support that are regularly to be found coming to blows with each other. Some slavishly mouth Quinn’s party line that the supporters are letting down the owners (not the club, interestingly enough), in an embarrassing show of obsequiousness not seen since Sir Alastair Burnet stepped down as ITV’s Royal Correspondent, while the more realistic elements point to the grave economic plight affecting the mackems’ heartlands. Quinn, mere days are claiming he’ll have to sell off the high earners and scale back the club’s ambitions if the ground remains a quarter empty, has even promised to tour pubs in the Seaham area, where he claims 50 licensed premises show games on match day, trying to drum up support. Bearing in mind his self confessed problems with heavy drinking in the past; this may not be a good idea.

While some have pondered whether all this ranting and raving is symptomatic of Quinn having a mid life crisis or suffering from work-related stress, much as Bob Murray (now being rehabilitated as a “proper” fan by certain on line loonies) was supposed to have suffered a nervous breakdown during the 19 point season, it appears more likely that Mr Charity is just planting the seeds of his exit strategy. Despite now being blessed with much in the way of academic achievements, Quinn has the wit and cunning of a Fianna Fail TD; his gombeen tendencies are evident in his take home pay and his ability to be taken for a cute hoor who’d be very much at ease in Fagan’s in Drumcondra can not be ignored. Whatever happens to the Mackems, it’s a knocking bet Quinn, who presided over 5 successive defeats whilst, statistically, the worst ever manager of sunderland, will walk away from the wreckage with his reputation and bank balance in tact.

Wow, there are so many holes in that post it's unreal. :lol:

Sessegnon a bargain replacement for Bent?

Muntari unreliable?

Quinn on £1m PA?

Short close to walking?

And any club that's owner pulled with immediate effect would have to go into administration.

A tiny tiny problem blown miles out of proportion.