Guest LeazesLad

Guest LeazesLad
Nolan: I love everything about this club and city

by Luke Edwards, The Journal

Feb 18 2011

0Share

Comments (2)

Recommend

Kevin Nolan helped forge a new Newcastle United in the fires of relegation. In an exclusive interview he told chief sports writer Luke Edwards why

AT a time when Newcastle United are worrying about holding on to their best players, the last thing you want to hear is Kevin Nolan openly talking about leaving.

Only Nolan is different. He does not want to leave to further his career, he is not looking for more money to feather his already luxurious nest and he is not interested in looking for a new challenge at a new club.

Nolan has everything he needs at Newcastle United. He has fallen in love with the club and everything it means to the city it calls home. He just knows there will come a day when Newcastle United no longer needs him.

He is not bitter or resentful – far from it. As the club’s captain, Nolan feels he has a responsibility to help the team progress until they reach a point where he no longer has to help bind things together.

“I’d love to be able to see my career out here, but realistically that isn’t going to happen,” said Nolan, a player who has epitomised the transformation in the dressing room since relegation in 2009.

“If this club carries on going in the right direction, which I believe it will do, they won’t want me.

“In three or four years I’ll be expected to leave. I’m not going to hang around picking up my money. If I’m not playing, I’m one of those players who will move on.

“I hope it’s not too soon, I hope I’ve got three or four years left here and I’m going to work hard to try and make that happen.

“I want to get this club back into Europe, win a trophy perhaps, even if that means I’m no longer wanted. It doesn’t worry me, that’s football. You can’t stop the passing of time. I’d rather help Newcastle get to a level where I’m not wanted anymore, that will mean I’ve helped the club be successful to get there.”

After more than a decade at Bolton Wanderers, Nolan arrived at Newcastle in January 2009 just as it was about to slip into turmoil. It was a mess he could not prevent, yet it is one he has tidied up.

Nolan has been vital behind the scenes, helping to create the seemingly unbreakable team spirit in the dressing room, fostering a completely different working environment at the training ground and promoting a completely different attitude to taking on challenges put in front of them.

He said: “This was the perfect club for me.

“I had an eagerness and a desire to bond with everyone, particularly knowing what the fans are like and what they want from a Newcastle United player.

“It’s what I want. I love that passion, it suits me down to the ground.

“I love everything about the football club and the city.

“It’s brilliant every time I drive into the centre and see the stadium perched on top of the hill, where I play, it is so special.

“It makes me so proud to walk around the city and you see black and white everywhere. I grew up with the Entertainers side of Kevin Keegan, ever since I came here I’ve been desperate for things to work out.

“I’ve wanted to give the fans here something that, when I do eventually leave, they don’t say he was a crap player, he was useless, he didn’t do anything, we’re glad to see the back of him.

“I want people to look back on my time here and say we had some good times. I believe we have and I believe that is going to continue.

“I think the fans are starting to see what I’m about. I think people are starting to understand what this group of players is about.

“You can see the football stadium from virtually anywhere in the city. It is symbolic of what football means to this city and I honestly don’t believe there is anywhere better to play your football.

“That’s how I see it anyway. It’s more than just 50,000 people on a matchday, it’s the whole city being proud of its football club and I’m so happy they have a squad of players they can get behind again.”

Nolan, by his own admission, struggled as United crashed out of the top flight. A recent ankle operation left him short of fitness and form, but he scored 18 goals last season and has already got ten this term. His influence, though, goes beyond performances.

He continued: “People were saying we were going to do a Leeds, we’d taken them down and we had to get them back. That’s how I felt anyway. I proved myself in the Championship and, hopefully, I’m proving I can do it for Newcastle in the Premier League.

“I’m not one to shirk a responsibility, I don’t go hiding if I’m having a bad game, and I didn’t go hiding that summer.

“We were left with a good group of lads, that wasn’t down to me. I just felt we had something to prove to the whole nation.

“It was us against the world at that time and the main thing we wanted to do was get our supporters back on side. Once we’d got that, everything else fell into place.

“That mentality has helped us get through everything that has happened this season as well. We’ve had more than our fair share of ups and downs.

“The players stick together, that cannot be broken, whatever is thrown at us, we have to react in a positive way. I was sick of all the Loony Tunes are off again, the Newcastle soap opera goes on. I wanted this to be a proper football club and it is.

“If we do the things we’re good at, stick together, do what the manager asks on the pitch, they can’t criticise us for that.

“We are at the point that no matter what is thrown at us, we deal with it. You do feel someone is constantly trying to chop your legs from underneath you sometimes, but that is what a board and a manager has to do, make tough decisions. As players, we focus on our job, we don’t sulk, we get on with it.”

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastl...?#ixzz1EIfG7dPT

I have to say if I played for the toon, that is exactly what I'd say too - great interview, it encapsulates everything about the club, and explains how unique this club is to the masses around the country who wonder what all the fuss is about. Newcastle United are without parallel, certainly in this country. There's only 4 or 5 football cities in Britain, and all of the other ones have more than one team. London, Manchester, Glasgow, Liverpool and Newcastle - football is almost coincidental anywhere else, but here it is representative of the city and the cities identity more than any other club in the UK.

Guest Your Name Here

He’s a right brown nose. He licked Hughton’s arse, now he’s licking Pardews’ arse. He’s licked Ashley’s arse and now he’s licking our arse. Somehow I don’t think sincerity’s is his strong point.

i think he's an arselicker. good player, but too slow over the ground for a top, top, side.

:D Good job he's playing for us then isnt it? :icon_lol:

As others have said he's a fantastic captain, and although a bit ponderous he always puts a shift in and gets an excellent goal return as well.

Model representative of the club. I used to enjoy his write up on BBC as Bolton captain. He used to organise lots of stuff for the players and helped create a great bond during the fat Sam days. Great attitude and probably the sole reason the players are so close(which I credit for Bartons turn-around).

Lots of his value is off the field it seems. It can be easy to discount that when thinking about players ability. On the field he does some of the little things that can make a difference but can be a little lazy when there's large distances to cover.

I'm sure a lot of it is pandering, but I do believe he loves playing here and being the representatve of the club. I think he'll be an excellent coach, his ability to foster a team work ethic is impressive and obvious in equal measure.

Cracking bloke and best team captain for years, substantially better than Shearer imo

I'm sure a lot of it is pandering, but I do believe he loves playing here and being the representatve of the club. I think he'll be an excellent coach, his ability to foster a team work ethic is impressive and obvious in equal measure.

Cracking bloke and best team captain for years, substantially better than Shearer imo

Thats about it, but I'll add that he has a very good knack of knowing where the goal is, not panicking and improvising, (see goal 1 v the mackems in the 5-1 ROUT, and the opener at the Stade de Shite).

The wife who doesn't like football seen him in the tunnel on a match I recorded and he was rabbiting away with the mascot, patting him on the head and looked genuinely interested in the kid, the wife commented on it and said what a nice gesture etc. Yes he's blowing a bit of smoke up our arses but so what? How many ex-players who aren't from here, don't live up here yet will praise our support to the hilt are they? I'd say quite a few and Nolan will no doubt join their ranks. We all know his limitations but his passing is good, his finishing is good and his leadership qualities are excellent. I agree he'll do a great job as a manager one day but will be probably as a man manager at a club like Bolton where he'll get the players playing for him.

“It’s brilliant every time I drive into the centre and see the stadium perched on top of the hill, where I play, it is so special."

So special that he loses track of the speedometer.

Newcastle United captain Kevin Nolan has been disqualified from driving for 60 days after being caught speeding.

Nolan, 28, was clocked doing 65mph in a 30mph zone in his Range Rover in Longbenton, North Tyneside, last May, the court heard.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-12457238

:D

This man encapsulates everything that a professional footballer should be about. Magnificent club captain. Love him to bits.

he's noticed that when you "kiss the badge" someone comes in with a Big Offer

he'll be gone by August

This man encapsulates everything that a professional footballer should be about. Magnificent club captain. Love him to bits.

he's noticed that when you "kiss the badge" someone comes in with a Big Offer

he'll be gone by August

Can't see a bigger club than us wanting him tbf.

I can see him being a decent manager.

He will one day. I think he might do a southgate and step up to manage you unwashed lot. Shame because ithink he'll do well.

As long as he stops that stupid fucking chicken dance

He will, next season it'll be some other daft celebration chosen by his mates.

For the life of me I can't remember what his celebration was last season, I'm sure it wasn't the chicken dance.