Pardew talks summer recruitment

Christmas Tree

NEWCASTLE United scouts are out in force at the Continent’s top games again this weekend – but realistic Alan Pardew knows their extensive efforts are unlikely to turn up an army of Cheick Tiotes this summer.

United dispatched a team of 12 scouts to scour the Championship, the SPL and several European leagues this weekend as Pardew’s £35m recruitment drive continues.

And their efforts have thrown up a number of interesting names that the Toon believe could make a big impact in the Premier League.

Ivory Coast striker Gervinho is on the list of forwards in the mix to fill the gap left by Andy Carroll, while the Sunday Sun can reveal Toulouse hard man Cheikh M’Bengue is also being watched in case Jose Enrique departs this summer. PSV winger Jeremain Lens was another winger linked this week.

But while Newcastle believe there ARE bargains out there, Pardew knows the Continental route is unlikely to yield as much success as the club enjoyed with Tiote this summer.

“I would say we will have 10 to 12 scouts at games. It is a decent number,” he said. “We’re making a lot of effort but we’re naive if we think we’re going to unearth four or five Cheick Tiotes in the summer.

“That deal was brilliant for this football club and his first year in the Premier League, if you’d have paid £15million for him you’d have been fairly pleased with him.

“To pay what we did, you would be ecstatic. To find four of those is impossible. Could we find one more of those? Possibly. Could we find two? Maybe.

“But we’re not going to be able to fill all of the bases with players like Cheick. They don’t come along often.”

Interestingly, Pardew also paid credit to Graham Carr for pushing through a deal for Tiote.

The Ivorian hard man, such a revelation for Newcastle this term, was made available at the start of last summer and touted around to every Premier League club.

Most took a close look at him and decided against a move. It was only United and fellow promoted side West Brom who tabled bids – with Newcastle’s higher profile persuading Tiote to join.

Pardew said: “I’m very, very pleased with him, and Graham Carr must take a lot of the credit because he pushed very hard for him.

“Cheick Tiote is part of our team now – we’ve got some other names that we hope can be like Cheick. But it’s only hope really.”

Pardew admits Europe is probably the limit of United’s ambition in terms of transfers this season.

While other clubs have had success spreading the net out to South and Central America, Newcastle’s view is that visa and passport issues make it difficult to justify sending scouts further than the big European leagues.

“There is a problem with passports,” he said.

“It is all well and good looking at the Brazilian market and Argentinian market where there is talent – perhaps more than any other countries – but they just can’t get passports that make them eligible.”

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NEWCASTLE United scouts are out in force at the Continent’s top games again this weekend – but realistic Alan Pardew knows their extensive efforts are unlikely to turn up an army of Cheick Tiotes this summer.

United dispatched a team of 12 scouts to scour the Championship, the SPL and several European leagues this weekend as Pardew’s £35m recruitment drive continues.

And their efforts have thrown up a number of interesting names that the Toon believe could make a big impact in the Premier League.

Ivory Coast striker Gervinho is on the list of forwards in the mix to fill the gap left by Andy Carroll, while the Sunday Sun can reveal Toulouse hard man Cheikh M’Bengue is also being watched in case Jose Enrique departs this summer. PSV winger Jeremain Lens was another winger linked this week.

But while Newcastle believe there ARE bargains out there, Pardew knows the Continental route is unlikely to yield as much success as the club enjoyed with Tiote this summer.

“I would say we will have 10 to 12 scouts at games. It is a decent number,” he said. “We’re making a lot of effort but we’re naive if we think we’re going to unearth four or five Cheick Tiotes in the summer.

“That deal was brilliant for this football club and his first year in the Premier League, if you’d have paid £15million for him you’d have been fairly pleased with him.

“To pay what we did, you would be ecstatic. To find four of those is impossible. Could we find one more of those? Possibly. Could we find two? Maybe.

“But we’re not going to be able to fill all of the bases with players like Cheick. They don’t come along often.”

Interestingly, Pardew also paid credit to Graham Carr for pushing through a deal for Tiote.

The Ivorian hard man, such a revelation for Newcastle this term, was made available at the start of last summer and touted around to every Premier League club.

Most took a close look at him and decided against a move. It was only United and fellow promoted side West Brom who tabled bids – with Newcastle’s higher profile persuading Tiote to join.

Pardew said: “I’m very, very pleased with him, and Graham Carr must take a lot of the credit because he pushed very hard for him.

“Cheick Tiote is part of our team now – we’ve got some other names that we hope can be like Cheick. But it’s only hope really.”

Pardew admits Europe is probably the limit of United’s ambition in terms of transfers this season.

While other clubs have had success spreading the net out to South and Central America, Newcastle’s view is that visa and passport issues make it difficult to justify sending scouts further than the big European leagues.

“There is a problem with passports,” he said.

“It is all well and good looking at the Brazilian market and Argentinian market where there is talent – perhaps more than any other countries – but they just can’t get passports that make them eligible.”

:( Half of Argentina have got either a Spanish or Italian passport.

Whether those passports are real or not are the questions though!

Only players I can see from the SPL being of interested is Hooper, Emelio from Celtic. The other player I like the look of is Booth from Hibs who is a young left back. He seems to have the confidence to take players on and got a good cross. Weiss on loan from Man City looks quite a lively bag of tricks and I think city would let him go for not much money.

Wasn't there supposed to be some sort of 'deal' arranged a couple of years ago where by we got first choice of S.American kids? When Shithead Wise was here? Can someone confirm this?

Cali cartel aren't playing ball apparently. :(

Wasn't there supposed to be some sort of 'deal' arranged a couple of years ago where by we got first choice of S.American kids? When Shithead Wise was here? Can someone confirm this?

wasnt it the main reason Keegan stated for leaving? the fact we agreed a purchase based on youTube so we could do a South American agent a "favour" in return for first pick of the new talent from round that way.

Well that worked fucking wonders didnt it?

:(

Kalou is a good shout, good pals with Tiote too i think. Can play as a front man or across the midfield...6mil?

Hooper is another good shout, looks quick and composed upfront...celtic will probably want 4mil for him, they would probably want to tie Forster into the deal though.

Lens would be one of my top targets. Not sure on Gervinho though...not seen much of him.

I bet we don't use the Carroll money as effectively as Liverpool did the Torres money.

I don't think they did use it effectively, especially when they're unlikely to have a big warchest to strengthen their defence and midfield. They could have done much much more with £50million. The only thing that is commendable is that they didn't let Torres go without having a replacement, but in terms of using the money effectively I don't think they have.

I bet we don't use the Carroll money as effectively as Liverpool did the Torres money.

I don't think they did use it effectively, especially when they're unlikely to have a big warchest to strengthen their defence and midfield. They could have done much much more with £50million. The only thing that is commendable is that they didn't let Torres go without having a replacement, but in terms of using the money effectively I don't think they have.

I'd say bringing in Suarez and Carroll is using it effectively. They'll give them a big edge compared to in the past few seasons when they've been massively over-reliant on Torres.

I'd say bringing in Suarez and Carroll is using it effectively. They'll give them a big edge compared to in the past few seasons when they've been massively over-reliant on Torres.

They'll need better wingers to play to Carroll's strengths imo. Nowt wrong with the two they've bought but they've missed an opportunity to strengthen elsewhere, £50m is a huge sum, especially for a club claiming they won't be spending what they don't earn.

There's no chance Chelsea will sell Kalou.

I think there's every chance. Not much of one that we'd be the club he'd end up at though. We're in desperate need of two decent strikers, two decent midfielders and a decent left back and centre half. That's just to consolidate mid table which is depressing

jarvis is a good shout.

mulumbu from west brom

ridgewell from brum

o'hara

going further than that i really couldnt tell you, most players i fancy from europe will be in european football next year. no idea for a striker

More effectively than we'll use the Carroll money anyway.

What about that Jarvis lad from Wolves for a winger? I'll be honest ive never seen much of him, but whenever pundits etc go on about Wolves he always seems to get a mention, anyone know much of him and if he's alright?

I think he's a good player but it will take a lot more than that to convince me anything other than the club is in decline. In fact, why would he want to leave Wolves for NUFC may be what he thinks, especially when Enrique leaves and Barton makes his dissatisfaction with the club known publicly.

What about that Jarvis lad from Wolves for a winger? I'll be honest ive never seen much of him, but whenever pundits etc go on about Wolves he always seems to get a mention, anyone know much of him and if he's alright?

I think he's a good player but it will take a lot more than that to convince me anything other than the club is in decline. In fact, why would he want to leave Wolves for NUFC may be what he thinks, especially when Enrique leaves and Barton makes his dissatisfaction with the club known publicly.

Don't worry i wasn't saying the club was on the up far from it, i'm probably the most pessimistic fan about, i was just throwing his name in and see what people thought of him and if we should get him.

I've done the old Dennis Wise scouting technique and watched a few videos on the net of him and he's a got a hell of a lot pace about him and from the games ive seen of him, he does the total opposite of what Jonas does and runs at the defence with a bit of meaning to it and when he gets the chance to cross he actually does and doesnt faff on and let the attack fizzle out

Next season's best XI with no new signings or players sold:

Forster

Simpson Colo S.Taylor Enrique

Tiote

Barton

Jonas Ben Arfa

Nolan

Best

So we need a backup lefback (youngster), backup centreback (youngster), backup centre mid (Dorrans), backup right and left winger (N'Zogbia? & Larsson), backup attacking mid (Ireland?), and a replacement for Best and a backup (Gervinho? & youngster).

So that would be Dorrans, N'Zogbia, Larsson and Ireland to compete for first team position and Gervinho to replace Best, plus some decent young fringe players at the back and front.

Can't see it happening but that would be ideal.