Pardew talks summer recruitment

Christmas Tree

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NEWCASTLE United scouts are out in force at the Continent’s top games again this weekend – but realistic Alan Pardew knows their extensive efforts are unlikely to turn up an army of Cheick Tiotes this summer.

United dispatched a team of 12 scouts to scour the Championship, the SPL and several European leagues this weekend as Pardew’s £35m recruitment drive continues.

And their efforts have thrown up a number of interesting names that the Toon believe could make a big impact in the Premier League.

Ivory Coast striker Gervinho is on the list of forwards in the mix to fill the gap left by Andy Carroll, while the Sunday Sun can reveal Toulouse hard man Cheikh M’Bengue is also being watched in case Jose Enrique departs this summer. PSV winger Jeremain Lens was another winger linked this week.

But while Newcastle believe there ARE bargains out there, Pardew knows the Continental route is unlikely to yield as much success as the club enjoyed with Tiote this summer.

“I would say we will have 10 to 12 scouts at games. It is a decent number,” he said. “We’re making a lot of effort but we’re naive if we think we’re going to unearth four or five Cheick Tiotes in the summer.

“That deal was brilliant for this football club and his first year in the Premier League, if you’d have paid £15million for him you’d have been fairly pleased with him.

“To pay what we did, you would be ecstatic. To find four of those is impossible. Could we find one more of those? Possibly. Could we find two? Maybe.

“But we’re not going to be able to fill all of the bases with players like Cheick. They don’t come along often.”

Interestingly, Pardew also paid credit to Graham Carr for pushing through a deal for Tiote.

The Ivorian hard man, such a revelation for Newcastle this term, was made available at the start of last summer and touted around to every Premier League club.

Most took a close look at him and decided against a move. It was only United and fellow promoted side West Brom who tabled bids – with Newcastle’s higher profile persuading Tiote to join.

Pardew said: “I’m very, very pleased with him, and Graham Carr must take a lot of the credit because he pushed very hard for him.

“Cheick Tiote is part of our team now – we’ve got some other names that we hope can be like Cheick. But it’s only hope really.”

Pardew admits Europe is probably the limit of United’s ambition in terms of transfers this season.

While other clubs have had success spreading the net out to South and Central America, Newcastle’s view is that visa and passport issues make it difficult to justify sending scouts further than the big European leagues.

“There is a problem with passports,” he said.

“It is all well and good looking at the Brazilian market and Argentinian market where there is talent – perhaps more than any other countries – but they just can’t get passports that make them eligible.”

no chance there is 12 scouts going to matches.

NEWCASTLE United scouts are out in force at the Continent’s top games again this weekend – but realistic Alan Pardew knows their extensive efforts are unlikely to turn up an army of Cheick Tiotes this summer.

United dispatched a team of 12 scouts to scour the Championship, the SPL and several European leagues this weekend as Pardew’s £35m recruitment drive continues.

And their efforts have thrown up a number of interesting names that the Toon believe could make a big impact in the Premier League.

Ivory Coast striker Gervinho is on the list of forwards in the mix to fill the gap left by Andy Carroll, while the Sunday Sun can reveal Toulouse hard man Cheikh M’Bengue is also being watched in case Jose Enrique departs this summer. PSV winger Jeremain Lens was another winger linked this week.

But while Newcastle believe there ARE bargains out there, Pardew knows the Continental route is unlikely to yield as much success as the club enjoyed with Tiote this summer.

“I would say we will have 10 to 12 scouts at games. It is a decent number,” he said. “We’re making a lot of effort but we’re naive if we think we’re going to unearth four or five Cheick Tiotes in the summer.

“That deal was brilliant for this football club and his first year in the Premier League, if you’d have paid £15million for him you’d have been fairly pleased with him.

“To pay what we did, you would be ecstatic. To find four of those is impossible. Could we find one more of those? Possibly. Could we find two? Maybe.

“But we’re not going to be able to fill all of the bases with players like Cheick. They don’t come along often.”

Interestingly, Pardew also paid credit to Graham Carr for pushing through a deal for Tiote.

The Ivorian hard man, such a revelation for Newcastle this term, was made available at the start of last summer and touted around to every Premier League club.

Most took a close look at him and decided against a move. It was only United and fellow promoted side West Brom who tabled bids – with Newcastle’s higher profile persuading Tiote to join.

Pardew said: “I’m very, very pleased with him, and Graham Carr must take a lot of the credit because he pushed very hard for him.

“Cheick Tiote is part of our team now – we’ve got some other names that we hope can be like Cheick. But it’s only hope really.”

Pardew admits Europe is probably the limit of United’s ambition in terms of transfers this season.

While other clubs have had success spreading the net out to South and Central America, Newcastle’s view is that visa and passport issues make it difficult to justify sending scouts further than the big European leagues.

“There is a problem with passports,” he said.

“It is all well and good looking at the Brazilian market and Argentinian market where there is talent – perhaps more than any other countries – but they just can’t get passports that make them eligible.”

no chance there is 12 scouts going to matches.

Agreed. The thing is, Parsnip has told the reporter there were '10 to 12 scouts' (that's 10 to 12. This is important), yet the stupid fuckin' mongtard reporter STILL says 'United dispatched a team of 12 scouts' !!!!!!!!!!11111111111 IT WAS 10 TO 12 YOU FUCKIN' TIT.

Next season's best XI with no new signings or players sold:

Forster

Simpson Colo S.Taylor Enrique

Tiote

Barton

Jonas Ben Arfa

Nolan

Best

So we need a backup lefback (youngster), backup centreback (youngster), backup centre mid (Dorrans), backup right and left winger (N'Zogbia? & Larsson), backup attacking mid (Ireland?), and a replacement for Best and a backup (Gervinho? & youngster).

So that would be Dorrans, N'Zogbia, Larsson and Ireland to compete for first team position and Gervinho to replace Best, plus some decent young fringe players at the back and front.

Can't see it happening but that would be ideal.

Dorrans wouldn't want to sit on the bench, N'Zogbia will thankfully never return, and I can't understand why you'd want to replace Best instead of Lovenkrands or Ranger.

Next season's best XI with no new signings or players sold:

Forster

Simpson Colo S.Taylor Enrique

Tiote

Barton

Jonas Ben Arfa

Nolan

Best

So we need a backup lefback (youngster), backup centreback (youngster), backup centre mid (Dorrans), backup right and left winger (N'Zogbia? & Larsson), backup attacking mid (Ireland?), and a replacement for Best and a backup (Gervinho? & youngster).

So that would be Dorrans, N'Zogbia, Larsson and Ireland to compete for first team position and Gervinho to replace Best, plus some decent young fringe players at the back and front.

Can't see it happening but that would be ideal.

Dorrans wouldn't want to sit on the bench, N'Zogbia will thankfully never return, and I can't understand why you'd want to replace Best instead of Lovenkrands or Ranger.

Because he's shit? Admittedly Lovenkrands is now past it but at least there is some potential in Ranger. Mind you, for my money we don't have a striker on the books who's currently premiership standard. Strola does it in patches but he'll never do it consistantly. Unless Ben Arfa's going to play as a striker for us we desperately need two new starting strikers for next season.

I bet we don't use the Carroll money as effectively as Liverpool did the Torres money.

I don't think they did use it effectively, especially when they're unlikely to have a big warchest to strengthen their defence and midfield. They could have done much much more with £50million. The only thing that is commendable is that they didn't let Torres go without having a replacement, but in terms of using the money effectively I don't think they have.

I'd say bringing in Suarez and Carroll is using it effectively. They'll give them a big edge compared to in the past few seasons when they've been massively over-reliant on Torres.

Not too sure about that when recognizing that they beat Chelsea without Suarez & Carroll, (or Torres) and were up 3 - 0 against Man Ure at half-time without Suarez & Carroll, (or Torres). So maybe they they didn't need to spend all the money they did on Suarez & Carroll. Maybe one or the other would have been effective spending, but not both.

I bet we don't use the Carroll money as effectively as Liverpool did the Torres money.

I don't think they did use it effectively, especially when they're unlikely to have a big warchest to strengthen their defence and midfield. They could have done much much more with £50million. The only thing that is commendable is that they didn't let Torres go without having a replacement, but in terms of using the money effectively I don't think they have.

I'd say bringing in Suarez and Carroll is using it effectively. They'll give them a big edge compared to in the past few seasons when they've been massively over-reliant on Torres.

Not too sure about that when recognizing that they beat Chelsea without Suarez & Carroll, (or Torres) and were up 3 - 0 against Man Ure at half-time without Suarez & Carroll, (or Torres). So maybe they they didn't need to spend all the money they did on Suarez & Carroll. Maybe one or the other would have been effective spending, but not both.

Bit daft judging the transfers on one game, especially one they didn't play in against a Chelsea side who haven't been at their best most of the season (Sunderland beat them 3-0 down there). Because if that's not what you're doing, I'm not sure what point you're making.

Edited by alex

Bit daft judging the transfers on one game, especially one they didn't play in against a Chelsea side who haven't been at their best most of the season (Sunderland beat them 3-0 down there). Because if that's not what you're doing, I'm not sure what point you're making.

The point I'm making is that if they can do that well initially without Suarez & Carroll on the pitch then maybe they un-necessarily overspent. Oh, and I wasn't judging the transfers on one game, I mentioned 2 games upto a point where the new transfers didn't take part. Carroll came on against Man Ure but they were already three-up without him.

Two games then. Either way they've got two good players for the money they received for one who looked like he couldn't give a fuck any more. I don't see how that's anything other than good business by Liverpool. Aye, they could've banked the money / half of it but they might've missed out on ever getting those players. Suarez started and played virtually the whole game against Man Utd in any case. They've been desperate for new forwards for a while too, due to Torres' lack of form / their over reliance on him. You seem to be thinking along the same lines as Ashley tbh, i.e. who needs a replacement for Carroll when you've got Leon Best? :D

Two games then. Either way they've got two good players for the money they received for one who looked like he couldn't give a fuck any more. I don't see how that's anything other than good business by Liverpool. Aye, they could've banked the money / half of it but they might've missed out on ever getting those players. Suarez started and played virtually the whole game against Man Utd in any case. They've been desperate for new forwards for a while too, due to Torres' lack of form / their over reliance on him. You seem to be thinking along the same lines as Ashley tbh, i.e. who needs a replacement for Carroll when you've got Leon Best? :D

I think what he's trying to say is that they've overspent getting those 2 players in without a great deal for them to even play for this season (in terms of the big prize, CL football). Yes they've got 2 good players but for that sort of cash they could have got half a dozen top players if they'd waited, which is something their team needs. I suppose it depends on if they've still got a sizeable chunk to spend in other areas that will determine whether or not it'ds been good business.

I think what he's trying to say is that they've overspent getting those 2 players in without a great deal for them to even play for this season (in terms of the big prize, CL football). Yes they've got 2 good players but for that sort of cash they could have got half a dozen top players if they'd waited, which is something their team needs. I suppose it depends on if they've still got a sizeable chunk to spend in other areas that will determine whether or not it'ds been good business.

You can't get half a dozen top players (including 2 top strikers) for £10m a piece, especially if everyone knows you've got £60m to play with.

thinking about it for a while our 2 best signings of the last few years have both been 3.5mil or less. tiote and ben arfa. obviously our scouts can spot a good player or 2. as for us getting a top top player, well i have my reservations. how much money is going to be spent and on what. if enrique goes, who do we replace him with? taiwo's been mooted as a replacement, but will probably go to the bin dippers. Carroll has not been replaced directly, and all of our forwards have been in and out of form ( as well as none of them actually being good enough).

this side will not finish in the top 10 next year without serious investment. i just hope it happens.

thinking about it for a while our 2 best signings of the last few years have both been 3.5mil or less. tiote and ben arfa. obviously our scouts can spot a good player or 2. as for us getting a top top player, well i have my reservations. how much money is going to be spent and on what. if enrique goes, who do we replace him with? taiwo's been mooted as a replacement, but will probably go to the bin dippers. Carroll has not been replaced directly, and all of our forwards have been in and out of form ( as well as none of them actually being good enough).

this side will not finish in the top 10 next year without serious investment. i just hope it happens.

Can't say ben arfa is a better signing than coloccini, enrique or nolan after his handful of games. Much better value from the other 3 so far.

Can't say ben arfa is a better signing than coloccini, enrique or nolan after his handful of games. Much better value from the other 3 so far.

Ben arfa was between 5-6m anyway

How old are you ?

Seriously.

What exactly does ONE GAME prove ?

Fucking hell. I stopped spouting rubbish like that when I was 10 years old.

exactly.

Skidmarks [bairn] = Toonpack [dad] = Noelie [Grandad]

Keep the rubbish running in the family lads.

You're Chris Mort aren't you ?

exactly.

:D

exactly.

Argument (sorry monotone tirade) comprehensively destroyed and thus resorts to crybaby-esque shite. :D