Knowledge

Christmas Tree

I always find it quite amazing what people know about the big wide world and how they know it.

Example, tonight they were talking on question time about our involvement in the partition of India and Pakistan????? WTF

How do people learn all these various facts about the world.

I just went to a normal comp, recall history being fairly dull, but even for those who enjoyed it, theres only so much it covered.

So your very bright and go to uni to be a doctor etc etc. Many people who dont take History at a higher level can turn out to be still very culturally aware about the worlds history.

How?

Was uni so dull that they just read or watched lots of historical things?

Im not a great reader, but even if I was I wouldnt throw myself at a book covering the partition of India and Pakistan.

Its quite telling on here that there are a few who seem very informed about these sourt of things and I would genuinely be interested to understand how you have built up this knowledge.

It could be India, the french revolution, the american civil war, suez etc etc

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

History was always my favourite subject at school/college, and it was always the one that I excelled in, more-so than any other.

I never took it up at degree level, but it's something I've always kept a keen interest in.

Honestly? If there is something I find interesting and I'm completely ignorant on it I either ask on here, or I'll look it up. :D If I'm only slightly ignorant on it, I'll assume a reasonable position and blag it :icon_lol:

History was always my favourite subject at school/college, and it was always the one that I excelled in, more-so than any other.

I never took it up at degree level, but it's something I've always kept a keen interest in.

I can understand people with a genuine interest like yourself, but there is also a very broad range of educated people who somehow still seem to know all these facts about the big wide world.

I always find it quite amazing what people know about the big wide world and how they know it.

Example, tonight they were talking on question time about our involvement in the partition of India and Pakistan????? WTF

How do people learn all these various facts about the world.

I just went to a normal comp, recall history being fairly dull, but even for those who enjoyed it, theres only so much it covered.

So your very bright and go to uni to be a doctor etc etc. Many people who dont take History at a higher level can turn out to be still very culturally aware about the worlds history.

How?

Was uni so dull that they just read or watched lots of historical things?

Im not a great reader, but even if I was I wouldnt throw myself at a book covering the partition of India and Pakistan.

Its quite telling on here that there are a few who seem very informed about these sourt of things and I would genuinely be interested to understand how you have built up this knowledge.

It could be India, the french revolution, the american civil war, suez etc etc

When I was about 10 years of age I was bought this 1,000 page beautiful blue book called The Chronicle of the World. It's basically the story of the mankind, chronologically. Every important bit of history, and as sad as it sounds I was fascinated by it, read it cover to cover and the end result was I had a sprinkling of knowledge about every major historical event ever. Most of it is gone, but it can come back if it's part of a conversation and you think how the fuck did I remember that.

I was just interested in history, geography and humanity. I could tell you things about places I've never been and will never go to, just found it all fascinating as a kid, not as much as football like, but that's where I got my knowledge from. Also television plays a big part, I'd watch all the stuff every other kid did, but I'd watch fuckin "Everyman", "World In Action", "Horizon" and "Dispatches". Sounds a bit sad really 10 and 11 watching that type of show, but I don't think so, broadened my knowledge, and I was only happy when I was learning something new. Some parents sit their kids in front of cartoons 15 hours a day and wonder how they end up brain dead in later life.

I can lose entire nights of sleep to Wikipedia. Curiosity + internet = doom.

Wrong,

Curiosity + internet = 226059419e94819e6abovu8_37559.jpg

I can understand people with a genuine interest like yourself, but there is also a very broad range of educated people who somehow still seem to know all these facts about the big wide world.

it's reading

that's it

if you read vociferously then you'll learn a huge amount. just look at the students on University Challenge.

it's reading

that's it

if you read vociferously then you'll learn a huge amount. just look at the students on University Challenge.

:D The louder you shout, the more you learn.

Much like Wacky, Geography and History were what fascinated me as a kid, still does.

If something/where grabs my interest, I'll go read up on it.…

… vociferously :D

Wacky?

Much like Wacky, Geography and History were what fascinated me as a kid, still does.

If something/where grabs my interest, I'll go read up on it.…

… vociferously :D

Wacky?

Oops. Sorry-Credit where it's due, Stevie. :icon_lol:

My old man always encouraged us, he worked at ROF Birtley, had an incredible thirst for knowledge and learning. He always told us we could do whatever we wanted, but not to end up like him stuck in a factory.

Basically the older I got the more intested I became in things I couldnt be arsed with at school. School is wasted on the young as they say. I mainly have an interest in local history but keep an eye on current affairs. Thing is I have a shit memory so can never remember the things I take in.

I can't remember a time when I haven't read and absorbed knowledge just for the sake of it. I dropped geography for 'O' level due mainly to a shit teacher and not having enough options available but its always been a great love of mine - I can read atalases for hours. History at school was taught by a teacher who was very exam focused so we only learned what we had to but since then I think I've absorbed a good spectrum. That applies to more general knowledge as well.

Used to be a keen pub quiz goer and I still have an underlying desire to do Millionaire - the usual nerves disclaimer aside, I've quite easily done full runs to the top prizes watching.

I can't remember a time when I haven't read and absorbed knowledge just for the sake of it. I dropped geography for 'O' level due mainly to a shit teacher and not having enough options available but its always been a great love of mine - I can read atalases for hours. History at school was taught by a teacher who was very exam focused so we only learned what we had to but since then I think I've absorbed a good spectrum. That applies to more general knowledge as well.

Used to be a keen pub quiz goer and I still have an underlying desire to do Millionaire - the usual nerves disclaimer aside, I've quite easily done full runs to the top prizes watching.

I used to when I was a bairn, always used to fuck me off that Newcastle upon Tyne was in medium sized letters, and Liverpool in big letters. I know the world back to front in terms of where places are.