The big 7

Deano

I like the optimism here, it makes me laugh, in fact it makes me spill my John Smiths :)

We have 3 players who are good enough to play for a top 6 side, one of them will leave in the summer, the other 2 will either follow him then or shortly after.

We have 4 or 5 players who are decent premiership players ie Colo, Simpson, Steven Taylor, Guittierez and Nolan.

The rest are not good enough, nowhere near. The fact we rely so much on Ameobi being fit now, is scary, in fact its the scariest thing I can remember since before Mick Quinn and Mark McGhee were signed, since those 2 we've done well for strikers, but now the mould is broken.

You need 15 or 16 players. We need 9 player, not 2nd rate squad player, but about 4 or 5 who can step straight into the team and be quality . The minimum, or its a relegation battle, especially when Enrique, Tiotte and Barton have gone, then we are screwed.

And under this man and how he is running the club, there will be no quick way back next time.

Fuck off and drown in ya pint man. ;)

that was a joke ;)

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the optimism here, it makes me laugh, in fact it makes me spill my John Smiths :)

We have 3 players who are good enough to play for a top 6 side, one of them will leave in the summer, the other 2 will either follow him then or shortly after.

We have 4 or 5 players who are decent premiership players ie Colo, Simpson, Steven Taylor, Guittierez and Nolan.

The rest are not good enough, nowhere near. The fact we rely so much on Ameobi being fit now, is scary, in fact its the scariest thing I can remember since before Mick Quinn and Mark McGhee were signed, since those 2 we've done well for strikers, but now the mould is broken.

You need 15 or 16 players. We need 9 player, not 2nd rate squad player, but about 4 or 5 who can step straight into the team and be quality . The minimum, or its a relegation battle, especially when Enrique, Tiotte and Barton have gone, then we are screwed.

And under this man and how he is running the club, there will be no quick way back next time.

There's a difference between saying where you think the squad needs work and where you think actual work will be done ;)

Simpson is good enough and has shown it, as too is Saylor.

Oh fuck off :)

Why isnt he?

Last 3 games he's played he's been gash man ;)

Id keep him in the side to give depth, but he hasn't progressed as we hoped. Might get a job acting though ;)

Also, as I've said, you dont buy squad players. That just makes your team average. To improve the team you should buy players that are better than you have.

There's a difference between saying where you think the squad needs work and where you think actual work will be done ;)

We already have the poorest set of strikers in the premiership, and if Tiotte and Barton go we will have the poorest midfield too.

Not good.

When's he ever shown himself to be a PL class centre-back? Would be my question. That's not a defence of Williamson btw, who isn't good enough either imo. If they were both back-up, that's a different matter.

I cant name games but come on he has been in the PL for years now and does have the ability. Its his arsing about that needs to be addressed.

Theres no way he is going to be happy as a backup for much longer alex.

I would love us to go get a hangelaand, cahill or a shawcross but that wont happen.

Sell the fucker then.

I reckon he'll be off in the summer, as he realises he's just making the numbers up here. He'll go to Bolton or WBA or Milan (where he can become a very good traffic cop, what with all the pointing he does).

We already have the poorest set of strikers in the premiership, and if Tiotte and Barton go we will have the poorest midfield too.

Not good.

Barton has already said he's staying regardless. I think you are confusing leaving with letting his contract run down.

Tell it like it is, LM. Spot on.

I thought Barton had changed from I'm not going anywhere, to I'll see what happens in the summer. He's only signed to 2012 so the FCB is not going to let him walk away.

it will be hard to get into the top 7. this is how i see it (no particular order )

man u

city

liverpool

arsenal

tottenham

chelsea

??????

there is one more space but i reckon everton or villa ( if they change their manager )

There you go then.

With a fully fit Ben Arfa and a few quality additions we will be better than villa, everton, sunderland and alike.

it will be hard to get into the top 7. this is how i see it (no particular order )

man u

city

liverpool

arsenal

tottenham

chelsea

??????

there is one more space but i reckon everton or villa ( if they change their manager )

There you go then.

With a fully fit Ben Arfa and a few quality additions we will be better than villa, everton, sunderland and alike.

well with enrique leaving ( let not kid our self his going to leave ) and the fact that ashley loves to keep his money in his pocket the likeness of finishing in the top 7 is small ( not impossible ). there will be 4/5 clubs trying to get that one position so its going to be hard

Not good.

Barton has already said he's staying regardless. I think you are confusing leaving with letting his contract run down.

If Ashley even has an inkling that Barton just wants to run down his contract, he'll be shipped out ASAP and thenmade to look a villain because he wouldnt sign a contract mainly because Ashley isn't progressing the team

Last 3 games he's played he's been gash man :)

Id keep him in the side to give depth, but he hasn't progressed as we hoped. Might get a job acting though ;)

From what I can see from afar, Saylor cannot play with Williamson, as they are too similar. Either of them needs to play with Colo, because they do the grunt and he does the finesse - Saylor falls down when expected to do the fancy stuff.

One thing I have noticed a lot with Williamson is that he tends to head up in the air, while Saylor does get some good forward distance with his headers. For that reason alone, I would go with Saylor

of that lot i can see enrique and barton going next season.

even assuming that doesn't happen, we still need cover at left back, two first choice strikers, another right back plus a new winger or two. ideally we'll get rid of smith and fetch in another centre midfielder too.

basically, we need reinforcements in pretty much every position.

man u

city

liverpool

arsenal

tottenham

chelsea

??????

There you go then.

Haha I'm presuming you mean if you bought Messi, Villa and Ronaldo?

Sorry but Newcastle are a long way behind the quality of 1st team player that Everton are. We are also an established club who consitantly finishes in the top 5-8 places in the league, with an excellent manager and stability at the club.

This is the same argument I had with my Toon supporting mate at the start of the season, and as a result of over ambitious expectations he's going to owe me £30 and his mate £10 once the last ball of the season is kicked.

I dont have anything against the Toon, but for fucks sake learn to walk before you run! It takes a team several years to establish / re-establish itself in the top division... finishing 7th is a ridiculously high expectation and completely unrealistic, when even established teams such as Villa (who have a far better squad) have struggled this year.

Everton

Bolton

Villa

These are the teams that will be competing for 7th, 8th and 9th next season... I really can't see the Toon being in that bracket no matter who they sign. Top 12 maybe a realistic ambition (although with old rapey in charge I wouldn't be so sure), but top 7? :);)

FWIW I think we won't bring in more than one new striker (letting Shefki go in the process). His rapiness has said he'll play HBA behind a front man, I assume that'll be plan A for the season. I also don't think we'll do any more than replace Enrique if he goes, especially with the noises Pardew's been making about Ferguson. I assume he'll still be keen to sign Ireland assuming he comes good in the last few games. So we might only see 3 or 4 players max, unless there's a free signing or two kicking around, and I doubt all of the 35m will get spent.

man u

city

liverpool

arsenal

tottenham

chelsea

??????

There you go then.

Sorry but Newcastle are a long way behind the quality of 1st team player that Everton are. We are also an established club who consitantly finishes in the top 5-8 places in the league, with an excellent manager and stability at the club.

This is the same argument I had with my Toon supporting mate at the start of the season, and as a result of over ambitious expectations he's going to owe me £30 and his mate £10 once the last ball of the season is kicked.

I dont have anything against the Toon, but for fucks sake learn to walk before you run! It takes a team several years to establish / re-establish itself in the top division... finishing 7th is a ridiculously high expectation and completely unrealistic, when even established teams such as Villa (who have a far better squad) have struggled this year.

Everton

Bolton

Villa

These are the teams that will be competing for 7th, 8th and 9th next season... I really can't see the Toon being in that bracket no matter who they sign. Top 12 maybe a realistic ambition (although with old rapey in charge I wouldn't be so sure), but top 7? :);)

Twaddle. Utter shite of the highest order.

Explain why it takes years for clubs to establish themselves in the top flight? What are the factors at play? Is it because the squad in the championship is on average worth around 5-10m at most and that the revenue streams are so vastly different that immediately adjusting the wages from that level to around 50m after many seasons in the championship is risky from both a footballing and financial perspective?

Yes. Which doesnt apply in even the remotest sense to Newcastle. Our wages were 5 or 6 times the level of every other championship club. Thanks to an injection of capital the club was run with higher revenues and higher wages than even some premiership clubs. Telling us to walk before we run is just trotting out some phrase you have heard which kind of makes sense to you without even having the first clue about what it actually means and why.

The only limitation in our expectation at the start of the season was in the quality of the players and whether they had the talent to justify their wages. They have done quite well considering but given what they earn compared to other premiership players, any manager/fan/owner should expect the performances they have got.

As for your statement about the distance between the first teams, we played you off the park at your place and had a shit day at our place but were always in the game because you didnt have the quality to take a commanding lead. Sounds like two teams at roughly the same level to me.

The difference between us is that our revenues are higher, we have around 40m in the bank and we have Ben Arfa and Tiote who are far better than anything you have.

man u

city

liverpool

arsenal

tottenham

chelsea

??????

There you go then.

Everton

Bolton

Villa

Explain why it takes years for clubs to establish themselves in the top flight? What are the factors at play? Is it because the squad in the championship is on average worth around 5-10m at most and that the revenue streams are so vastly different that immediately adjusting the wages from that level to around 50m after many seasons in the championship is risky from both a footballing and financial perspective?

Yes. Which doesnt apply in even the remotest sense to Newcastle. Our wages were 5 or 6 times the level of every other championship club. Thanks to an injection of capital the club was run with higher revenues and higher wages than even some premiership clubs. Telling us to walk before we run is just trotting out some phrase you have heard which kind of makes sense to you without even having the first clue about what it actually means and why.

The only limitation in our expectation at the start of the season was in the quality of the players and whether they had the talent to justify their wages. They have done quite well considering but given what they earn compared to other premiership players, any manager/fan/owner should expect the performances they have got.

As for your statement about the distance between the first teams, we played you off the park at your place and had a shit day at our place but were always in the game because you didnt have the quality to take a commanding lead. Sounds like two teams at roughly the same level to me.

The difference between us is that our revenues are higher, we have around 40m in the bank and we have Ben Arfa and Tiote who are far better than anything you have.

who does he support ?

man u

city

liverpool

arsenal

tottenham

chelsea

??????

There you go then.

Everton

Bolton

Villa

Haha I love the picture I have in my mind of your bright red face, vein throbing from forehead when you wrote that reply! GRRRRR!!!! Lol!

"Explain why it takes years for clubs to establish themselves in the top flight" - quality of players in your team, the difference in quality of the opposition are just two major factors

"Our wages were 5 or 6 times the level of every other championship club" - wages prove nothing, if they did Owen would have been a wonderful signing.

"Telling us to walk before we run is just trotting out some phrase you have heard" - who hasn't heard that saying? Obviously i've heard it lol! Such a strange argument!

"They have done quite well considering but given what they earn compared to other premiership players" - Yep no denying they have performed well this season, again wages play no factor in this though.

"we played you off the park at your place and had a shit day at our place but were always in the game because you didnt have the quality to take a commanding lead. Sounds like two teams at roughly the same level to me." - Can't base anything on 2 games... season is a marathon not a sprint... try looking at things overall for a better analysis... i.e. we've underachieved and you've over achieved, and we're still something like 6 points ahead of you. Although saying that you's have done well to be within 6 points of the 7th placed team in the league

"The difference between us is that our revenues are higher, we have around 40m in the bank and we have Ben Arfa and Tiote who are far better than anything you have" - Thats the only difference? Really?!! How many games as Ben Arfa played for you so that you can make the decision that he's "better than anything" Everton have got?

Sorry but your arguments are basically all bollocks. I appreciate the time yout ook to compose a repsonse and join in the debate though... better luck next time ;)

Edited by ajax_andy

What a prick. Everton personified.

We are a bigger club. Better club. Better fans. Better stadium. Better city.

You's have done well and are having a decent season but 7th is the best you can EVER hope for. We however have been to the edge and back, and we are back stronger than before.

I have no doubt in my mind that with a few quality signings in key areas we will not only tonk you's home and away next season but finish above you's too.

Everton is a non entity of a club.

Of the Everton side, only Arteta, Howard, Saha, Cahill, and maybe one of Coleman or Heitinga, just because we don't quite have a suitable partner for Coloccini. I wouldn't trade Tiote, Barton, or Nolan for Rodwell or Fellatio in a second. Rodwell is decent and I'd have him at Newcastle as a backup for Coloccini. And don't even start with Baines, Jose Enrique outclasses him by miles. And Beckford is shit.

I'm not going to agree all out and say that Newcastle are in an entirely better position to succeed going forward than Everton, I don't have enough (any) faith in the Fat Man to justify that. But what I will say is that given proper investment of the £35 million, it its not outside the realm of believability to think Newcastle could be challenging for the Top 7 next year.

Oh, and 'walk before you can run' bit that Chez was alluding to was that its a common phrase that gets bandied about regarding Newcastle, and just because you hear this soundbite you think saying it makes you sound smart. Not the fact that you've heard it before.