End of Season Report

Christmas Tree

Given Ashley is running one of the most successful businesses in the UK, within one of the most difficult sectors, you have got to smile at some of the posts above suggesting the Club Board isn't up to the job.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given Ashley is running one of the most successful businesses in the UK, within one of the most difficult sectors, you have got to smile at some of the posts above suggesting the Club Board isn't up to the job.

If only running a premier league football club was the same as paying slave wages to 12 year olds in the philipines.

Yes, it's not as if they've fucked it up before is it? :lol:

If you take a neutral view on the board, there are reasons to be optimistic. What i mean by that is that you dont need to expect them to be positive (or act in a way they ought to / we expect them to) for the outlook to be positive.

A neutral outlook is 'the minimum you'd expect the board of NUFC to provide the management over the summer'. In this case, the minimum would be a concerted effort to keep Enrique, ensure Tiote stays, replace Carroll and not much more. Obviously we need a couple of extra bodies and if Larsson, a defender and an attacker came in and no-one left, we'd be right to be positive (given clubs closest to us dont massively improve their squads). If you look at the margins between 1 point and 3 points this season and the performances of the team, you know we have been rarely out-played, for the most part are always in the game and have drawn quite a few we should have won.

However, the scenario that looks most likely is on the one hand bringing in a player like Mouusa Sow whilst at the same time selling Enrique to Liverpool and not really addressing the squad issues. If this is the case, then as much as luck could have seen us 6 to 9 points better off this season, it could see us 6 to 9 points worse off next season. Thats a real concern until the end of the summer.

Agree with most of that. At the stage we are now, my expectations for the summer are finding 3 or 4 players who will walk straight into the team. Granted they may not be world beaters, but they will be vast improvements on the likes of Shola, Best and Lovenkrands.

Our cup is currently running over in midfield and in goal so a decent enough left back comes next.

I don't think (with the money at our disposal), the above should be too much of a challenge.

:lol: Qwertyoh dear.

If only running a premier league football club was the same as paying slave wages to 12 year olds in the philipines.

If you think sports retailing is so easy you had betterexplain to JJB where they went wrong.

If you think sports retailing is so easy you had betterexplain to JJB where they went wrong.

Don't give Ashley ideas... he might just start scouting the Air Max LeBron VIII division of the Manila Plant for his next signing.

You'd put the boardroom on the same level as the team? :lol:

As for the Outlook, that's massive optimistic! Jury should be out on that one until the summer window shuts - THEN make your assessment.

Stunned at your backing of the Hughton sacking too.

too bloody right Craig! well said

And if you think Sports Direct is one of Britain's most successful businesses then you'd be utterly wrong :lol: Try Vodaphone, BP, GSK, HSBC etc. I've worked on bigger products than Sports Direct. Its a chain of tatty corner shops, not a flagship of British industry.

I don't think it's easy. Neither is making a blancmange, but I don't claim that being able to do THAT qualifies me to run a football club.

And if you think Sports Direct is one of Britain's most successful businesses then you'd be utterly wrong :lol: Try Vodaphone, BP, GSK, HSBC etc. I've worked on bigger products than Sports Direct. Its a chain of tatty corner shops, not a flagship of British industry.

sports direct is ftse 250 with a market cap of £1.2bn. hardly a small player

Steady on old chap!

SD is still a very successful retail operation that is totally bucking the trend in the UK at the moment. He has also been very shrewd over the years at buying once famous brands and exploiting their worth.

Not BP but a bit of credit where credits due.

You have picked the wrong Blue Chips. Voda and BP were involved in 2 of the biggest cock ups in commercial history. If you look at return on capital Sports direct is far more successful than all 4.

You could also turn that statement into....

Given Ashley injected over £100m into a poorly performing but well supported football club and got it relegated you have wonder how hes upto the job of running one of the most successful businesses in the UK.

You have picked the wrong Blue Chips. Voda and BP were involved in 2 of the biggest cock ups in commercial history. If you look at return on capital Sports direct is far more successful than all 4.

That doesnt make any sense, the return on capital at SD is peanuts because the captital is peanuts. The market capitalisation is only around 1bn, so the return is small on that capital, meaning in absolute terms the shareholders make very little. The EPS might be nice but thats not a measure of size. SD profit was what? 200m? Using return on capital to judge either the size, potential or success of a business is not helpful at all. I've got no idea what relevance those cock-ups have.

SD is small fry, its not even big enough to be called a mid-cap, its a national retail chain with low margins and very little value added. To cast Ashley as a captain of British industry is wrong.

SD is small fry, its not even big enough to be called a mid-cap, its a national retail chain with low margins and very little value added. To cast Ashley as a captain of British industry is wrong.

I never said he was a captain of industry rather the driving force behind one of the UK's most successful retailers. If you are not aware of the cock ups of BP and Voda you shouldn't get involved in a business related discussion.

I never said he was a captain of industry rather the driving force behind one of the UK's most successful retailers. If you are not aware of the cock ups of BP and Voda you shouldn't get involved in a business related discussion.

They are irrelevant to the point which is that SD is a very small part of British business. The most successful parts of the UK retail sector in the last year are pound shops (uptake or retail vacancies in shopping centres and sales performance). SD is also doing well. Thats unsurprising, given that the business model of a pound shop and SD are about the same.

I think most people over the age of 6/7 years old are aware of BP's problems. I dont see what the Gulf disaster (the cause of which is now being firmly placed in Hallibuton's and Transocean's court) has to do with BP being a flagship of British industry that competely dwarfs a business like SD. Clearly a wum or a mug to try and distract from the point like that.

I think most people over the age of 6/7 years old are aware of BP's problems. I dont see what the Gulf disaster (the cause of which is now being firmly placed in Hallibuton's and Transocean's court) has to do with BP being a flagship of British industry that competely dwarfs a business like SD. Clearly a wum or a mug to try and distract from the point like that.

what is a wum?

what is a wum?

Wind Up Merchant.

But his point is correct. You can't belittle BP based on a disaster. Is Sony suddenly unsuccessful overnight based on their recent issue?

You could also turn that statement into....

Given Ashley injected over £100m into a poorly performing but well supported football club and got it relegated you have wonder how hes upto the job of running one of the most successful businesses in the UK.

Skillfully ignoring the fact that the "injection" (along with the rabid cost cutting) was simply to keep the ship standing still and afloat and not a new capital investment, which if it were , would have given some validity to your point.