Andy Carroll....Local Hero! O̶r̶ ̶J̶u̶d̶a̶s̶?

Christmas Tree

Carroll  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

NJS/Gloomy:

I understand what you are trying to say, which is basically you thought they were shit because you didn't like them . Basically, this is one of the most stupid things I've ever heard.

Why don't YOU let your hatred die, and accept the FACTS for what they are. I'm not interested in your personality based opinions , just show me the facts.

here you go again with putting word in peoples' mouths. i've listed many times for you in the past the reasons why i didn't rate shepherd as a chairman - it isn't all to do with his personality. while i was glad to see the back of him, it didn't take long to relise that the man replacing him in ashley was worse. about a season into this reign, not 4 years. so enough of this "you've finally come round to my way of thinking" bollocks. it was obvious to anyone with half a brain cell that ashley didn't have the club's interests at heart after the keegan/wise/xisco/gonzales/milner/jfk debacle. we've been on a downward spiral ever since and ashley has gone from bad to worse.

but for the final time, on shepherd, i truly thought his time in charge had come to its natural end. since the sacking of bobby robson, he made a series of poor decisions which in my view contributed to our decline. sir bobby had established us as a top 5 club. he had one sllghtly below par season, where we still finished 5th but was inexplicably sacked (just after the transfer window closed) and replaced with graham souness - a man none of us wanted and whom blackburn (on the brink of relegation), wanted even less. we had the chance to kick on with and really establish ourselves as a top5 club - shepherd's decisions imo stopped that happening, from sacking managers just days after transfer windows shut closed to appointing the likes of souness, roeder and allardyce - men that clearly weren't up to the job.

i thought being bought out by a billionaire would be a good thing. most of us did. none of us knew from the beginning it would turn out into the disaster it has become. but it was pretty obvious from pretty early on that ashley didn't give a shit, you're no mastermind on that score.

why has this thread got like this ? NJS - I was discussing the principle of allowing a manager to manage, and YOU started harping on about Fat Fred, Luque and Speed.....why ?

Its because they want you to bite mate, same as in other threads. Some twat purposely dangles a carrot because they want you to go off topic so they can have a go. Its a shame as it was a decent thread, I just wish some cunts would stop playing silly fuckers.

it's leazesmag's obsession like. i don't see that many carrots being dangled. he actively goes looking to turn every thread into one of his "i was right about shepherd and ashley" rants. beyond tedious. we're all bored of it. it was only ashley's skidmark tbh who used to go actively out of his way to engage with leazesmag on the matter, hence why he was equally as unpopular poster. everyone else is sick of it. it's starting to spoil what is generally an excellent football forum.

the sad thing about leazesmag is i think he could be a good poster if he could just move on from this one subject. the rare post he makes about other football stuff can be well worth reading. it's just a shame the fred/ashley stuff makes up 99% of the stuff he posts on here. it's the same with the general chat and his obsession with islamists and asylum seekers.

what a shame it was NJS who started twisting a logical and reasonable discussion into mentioning Freddie Shepherd. As usual, you didn't notice and instantly pinned the blame on me. Which appears to be YOUR obsession. If someone actually says something so stupid or dumb, then its natural to reply. You do it too, you are doing it now ? What is it that you think you are so smart and different that you have different rules ? I think when you harp on like this you are an arsehole and ruining the forum, you're certainly now contributing along with NJS to ruin this particular thread.

As I've said before, politics of the club are important, if I post comments that correctly say the future is grim and ask when we will be back in europe again, and YOU associate names to it, then it only serves to emphasise that everything I have said is correct and often it is you and others who prompt this assertion.

So, why don't YOU either agree or disagree, and if you disagree, I'm just as entitled to an "opinion" as you, except what I say isn't an "opinion" of someone being a "cunt", I'm stating hard solid facts. If I "like" them its because they did well for the club, I don't give a shite what their personalities are like, what sort of life they lead, if they go whoring, or drink 25 gallons of beer a day, rent a warehouse from a member of the family for peanuts [which happens everywhere in the world], state the obvious when they say football shirts are made for a few quid in Thailand - get it ? I don't care. Those sort of irrelevances are best left to those who have the wrong priorities.

Business is ruthless, rich people are ruthless, thats the way of the world, if you don't see that, you are fantastically naive.

Can we get on with the football, if you agree with me fine, if you don't fine, but if someone like me says Ashley is taking the club backwards and the previous regime did a great job for the club and it may be a long time before we hit such heights again, then that may or may not be correct but at the present moment in time very much looks like it may be the case.

And I'm not really interested in picking my best team for next season, or speculating which 3rd rate players we may buy in the summer. I would far prefer to line 7 or 8 of them up against a firing squad because they simply aren't good enough for me and I don't expect any new players this summer to be much better, if at all.

Edited by LeazesMag

To be honest I think ex-players are always going to be booed by the fans (especially the away support) unless they were special players for us like Sir Les. It's all part of the matchday fun, I thought it was quite funny

This is the crux of the matter. One man's fun is obviously another's embarrassment. For my money, once we're inside a football ground a lot of our rational behaviour stays outside. Berating the ref/other players like we're in a pantomime; Clapping like seals; Jumping around like idiots when a goal is scored; "He's a dwarf..."; ".....he wanks his dog, y'know"; "He's got a bomb....."; The cry of the banshee in the scoreboard; That bloke who sat in the new stand who wore the clown's hat; Butcher's coats; Skinheeds wearing dresses; "Shoes off if you love the toon"; "Pogo if you love the toon" etc etc etc etc etc. I wasn't at Anfield but if I had been I'm sure I would have joined in having a go at Carroll - just for the hell (fun) of it :icon_lol:

I'll give you that, I take the point. Booing John Beresford for instance, different circumstances and different meaning, but I take the point. Kicking Neil Lennon in the head, hockling on El Hadj Diouf, sticking a fork up David Speedies arse, all acceptable.

At the present time, its serious politics at the club though, watching the club go backwards like this, and arseholes not seeing it, isn't particularly amusing.

what a shame it was NJS who started twisting a logical and reasonable discussion into mentioning Freddie Shepherd. As usual, you didn't notice and instantly pinned the blame on me. Which appears to be YOUR obsession. If someone actually says something so stupid or dumb, then its natural to reply. You do it too, you are doing it now ? What is it that you think you are so smart and different that you have different rules ? I think when you harp on like this you are an arsehole and ruining the forum, you're certainly now contributing along with NJS to ruin this particular thread.

As I've said before, politics of the club are important, if I post comments that correctly say the future is grim and ask when we will be back in europe again, and YOU associate names to it, then it only serves to emphasise that everything I have said is correct and often it is you and others who prompt this assertion.

The thing is if you state things like "Shepherd would not have sold Carroll without consulting his manager" then I'm sorry but I feel I should point out that that is shit - he conducted sales and purchases without asking more than one of his managers as I pointed out.

I don't mind your opinions per se - its some of the baseless "facts" you use which I feel should be addressed.

I'd don't dislike Shepherd or the Halls for their personalities, I dislike them for some of their actions. Now those actions you consider incidental or small beer but I think they are important - you mention the politics of the club and that's what I'm on about - some of their actions abused and exploited the fans and I can't forget or forgive that no matter how good we were on the pitch.

I also find it funny you feel the fans are embarassing themselves at the moment when most non-Newcastle fans would have Shepherd high on their list of factors as to why they find NUFC "laughable". Those actions you feel were incidental did a lot more damage to the club's reputation than a few dafties booing Carroll.

The thing is if you state things like "Shepherd would not have sold Carroll without consulting his manager" then I'm sorry but I feel I should point out that that is shit - he conducted sales and purchases without asking more than one of his managers as I pointed out.

I don't mind your opinions per se - its some of the baseless "facts" you use which I feel should be addressed.

I'd don't dislike Shepherd or the Halls for their personalities, I dislike them for some of their actions. Now those actions you consider incidental or small beer but I think they are important - you mention the politics of the club and that's what I'm on about - some of their actions abused and exploited the fans and I can't forget or forgive that no matter how good we were on the pitch.

I also find it funny you feel the fans are embarassing themselves at the moment when most non-Newcastle fans would have Shepherd high on their list of factors as to why they find NUFC "laughable". Those actions you feel were incidental did a lot more damage to the club's reputation than a few dafties booing Carroll.

I gave you a big, and not comprehensive, list of players bought by the football club of the choice of the managers, and every single one of them was with a view to higher standards than we are seeing now. Most worked, some didn't, but the aims were higher.

The actions of the Halls and Shepherd, away from the football club, are irrelevant if they are backing their managers financially, the club is performing well and as such they are performing well as owners of the club. If you prefer to have "gentlemen" running the club, thats your lookout, my point - and I'm making no excuses for it this time - is that arseholes [like you are saying now] insisted anyone would be better [and took the ambition for granted]. So I hope you are happy with the current owner.

I don't find some of the PR statements by Shepherd embarrassing at all [see the comments by snakey], they have NO impact on the pitch and had NO impact on the club [unlike comments made by Gerald Ratner for instance, if this is the sort of damage you are referring to], if anything I think the mock-indignation by supporters was funny. A distant relation [from Scotlan] asked me if I wanted the Halls and Shepherd out after the "dogs" business and I just said "no". She didn't understand why, because she, after a few years fighting for the title, presumed we had always been doing that [like a lot of people] and I said "if the alternative is having nice directors who don't have ambition again, its a bit of a no-brainer really". She still didn't understand. Stupid cow. See, I'm not a director of the club, and neither are you, so nobody thinks it is reflective of your views.

On the other hand, when "Newcastle supporters" appear to lending weight to accepting 2nd rate standards and making out we are superior to the likes of Liverpool on the basis of "running a better business" while they are competing at the top, we are at the bottom, and they buy our best players, that reflects on me because I'm a Newcastle supporter, people think it is MY view, and they thinks its stupid, and I agree with them and tell them if they mention it that it isn't my view and its embarrassing that they think we are all so dumb as that.

As for "exploiting" the fans, if you mean "exploiting the fanbase" and bringing top footballers to the club and competing at the top of the league again, the sooner it happens again the better, and I don't give a toss if the owner has green hair, 3 heads, or where he comes from.

Actually, its sort of ironic that people like you got your knickers in such a twist about the previous owners harping on about "exploiting" fans by selling shirts for 40 quid that were made for a few bob in the far east [as if we didn't know and as if nobody else was doing it] and now we have fuckwits defending a man taking the club backwards that actually owns the company who make the fucking things in the first place.

To be honest I think ex-players are always going to be booed by the fans (especially the away support) unless they were special players for us like Sir Les. It's all part of the matchday fun, I thought it was quite funny

This is the crux of the matter. One man's fun is obviously another's embarrassment. For my money, once we're inside a football ground a lot of our rational behaviour stays outside. Berating the ref/other players like we're in a pantomime; Clapping like seals; Jumping around like idiots when a goal is scored; "He's a dwarf..."; ".....he wanks his dog, y'know"; "He's got a bomb....."; The cry of the banshee in the scoreboard; That bloke who sat in the new stand who wore the clown's hat; Butcher's coats; Skinheeds wearing dresses; "Shoes off if you love the toon"; "Pogo if you love the toon" etc etc etc etc etc. I wasn't at Anfield but if I had been I'm sure I would have joined in having a go at Carroll - just for the hell (fun) of it :icon_lol:

:rolleyes::icon_lol::D:D:D:D

why has this thread got like this ? NJS - I was discussing the principle of allowing a manager to manage, and YOU started harping on about Fat Fred, Luque and Speed.....why ?

Its because they want you to bite mate, same as in other threads. Some twat purposely dangles a carrot because they want you to go off topic so they can have a go. Its a shame as it was a decent thread, I just wish some cunts would stop playing silly fuckers.

it's leazesmag's obsession like. i don't see that many carrots being dangled. he actively goes looking to turn every thread into one of his "i was right about shepherd and ashley" rants. beyond tedious. we're all bored of it. it was only ashley's skidmark tbh who used to go actively out of his way to engage with leazesmag on the matter, hence why he was equally as unpopular poster. everyone else is sick of it. it's starting to spoil what is generally an excellent football forum.

the sad thing about leazesmag is i think he could be a good poster if he could just move on from this one subject. the rare post he makes about other football stuff can be well worth reading. it's just a shame the fred/ashley stuff makes up 99% of the stuff he posts on here. it's the same with the general chat and his obsession with islamists and asylum seekers.

So, why don't YOU either agree or disagree, and if you disagree, I'm just as entitled to an "opinion" as you, except what I say isn't an "opinion" of someone being a "cunt", I'm stating hard solid facts. If I "like" them its because they did well for the club, I don't give a shite what their personalities are like, what sort of life they lead, if they go whoring, or drink 25 gallons of beer a day, rent a warehouse from a member of the family for peanuts [which happens everywhere in the world], state the obvious when they say football shirts are made for a few quid in Thailand - get it ? I don't care. Those sort of irrelevances are best left to those who have the wrong priorities.

Business is ruthless, rich people are ruthless, thats the way of the world, if you don't see that, you are fantastically naive.

Can we get on with the football, if you agree with me fine, if you don't fine, but if someone like me says Ashley is taking the club backwards and the previous regime did a great job for the club and it may be a long time before we hit such heights again, then that may or may not be correct but at the present moment in time very much looks like it may be the case.

And I'm not really interested in picking my best team for next season, or speculating which 3rd rate players we may buy in the summer. I would far prefer to line 7 or 8 of them up against a firing squad because they simply aren't good enough for me and I don't expect any new players this summer to be much better, if at all.

here you go again with the personality thing. in my post directly below the one you're quoting, i've stated why fred's time was up, in my opinion - it had nothing to do with his personality, which was embarrasing but not the reason why he was a crap chairman. your agument lacks credibility because you answer points that agree weren't made, put words in mouths and ignore reasoning put to you that you don't agree with. it's infuriating.

I gave you a big, and not comprehensive, list of players bought by the football club of the choice of the managers, and every single one of them was with a view to higher standards than we are seeing now. Most worked, some didn't, but the aims were higher.

The actions of the Halls and Shepherd, away from the football club, are irrelevant if they are backing their managers financially, the club is performing well and as such they are performing well as owners of the club. If you prefer to have "gentlemen" running the club, thats your lookout, my point - and I'm making no excuses for it this time - is that arseholes [like you are saying now] insisted anyone would be better [and took the ambition for granted]. So I hope you are happy with the current owner.

I don't find some of the PR statements by Shepherd embarrassing at all [see the comments by snakey], they have NO impact on the pitch and had NO impact on the club [unlike comments made by Gerald Ratner for instance, if this is the sort of damage you are referring to], if anything I think the mock-indignation by supporters was funny. A distant relation [from Scotlan] asked me if I wanted the Halls and Shepherd out after the "dogs" business and I just said "no". She didn't understand why, because she, after a few years fighting for the title, presumed we had always been doing that [like a lot of people] and I said "if the alternative is having nice directors who don't have ambition again, its a bit of a no-brainer really". She still didn't understand. Stupid cow. See, I'm not a director of the club, and neither are you, so nobody thinks it is reflective of your views.

On the other hand, when "Newcastle supporters" appear to lending weight to accepting 2nd rate standards and making out we are superior to the likes of Liverpool on the basis of "running a better business" while they are competing at the top, we are at the bottom, and they buy our best players, that reflects on me because I'm a Newcastle supporter, people think it is MY view, and they thinks its stupid, and I agree with them and tell them if they mention it that it isn't my view and its embarrassing that they think we are all so dumb as that.

As for "exploiting" the fans, if you mean "exploiting the fanbase" and bringing top footballers to the club and competing at the top of the league again, the sooner it happens again the better, and I don't give a toss if the owner has green hair, 3 heads, or where he comes from.

Actually, its sort of ironic that people like you got your knickers in such a twist about the previous owners harping on about "exploiting" fans by selling shirts for 40 quid that were made for a few bob in the far east [as if we didn't know and as if nobody else was doing it] and now we have fuckwits defending a man taking the club backwards that actually owns the company who make the fucking things in the first place.

I never denied they backed the manger (though never with their money) - I just pointed out that your reasoning for defending his comments about Carroll was based on something which isn't correct.

I honestly don't see for one second how having a go at Carroll in anyway, shape or form means that the fams back Ashley either over his sale (which I guess most do but that's incidental) or somehow endorsing his business model.

Fans go to away games for the same reason I did - to meet up with mates, have a few pints, watch a game while supporting the team and genreally having a good time. This may include dodgy or unwarranted abuse or chants which imo "mean nothing" in reality. This is why protests over Ashley could never work - they just undermine the base reasons for being there. I also don't get your point about being superior to Liverpool - we've had that off the field view for as long as I can remeneber - see Shankly's comments about NUFC and SAFC - so fans enjoying themselves by saying they outsung Liverpool is again absilutely nothing to do with owners or business models - its about raw football support.

I think everone knew that a lot of the expansion after promotion was on the backs of fans and some of that was okay in my view - if an adult wants to spend £40 on something I would never dream of wearing its up to them and I don't think it was a great revelation that they were made in sweatshops. What people didn't like was the tone the fuckers used which showed their contempt for those fans as if to say "the thick fuckers don't know any better". Combine that with insulting people wives, girlfriends mothers and daughters while paying for whores is something I find objectionable but it was only one of a few things.

When Fletcher was in charge the fans were treated as walking wallets - our ST prices were extortionate in the context of regions and the way they treat those moved by the expansion showed their true views. Add in the way they distributed tickets and the meny they extorted from the club yearly and again the only word that comes to mind is contempt.

I also think its funny that as far as you're concerned "successful" owneres should be able to get way with anything and can nevcre embarrass you but a few fans sing a song draws your criticism in terms of reputation/perception - the double standards are huge.

here you go again with the personality thing. in my post directly below the one you're quoting, i've stated why fred's time was up, in my opinion - it had nothing to do with his personality, which was embarrasing but not the reason why he was a crap chairman. your agument lacks credibility because you answer points that agree weren't made, put words in mouths and ignore reasoning put to you that you don't agree with. it's infuriating.

the champions league qualifications and european places say you are wrong, they are factual. And he never owned the club, the club was owned from 1992 - 2007 by the Halls and Shepherd. More facts.

Continue with your "opinions" if you must.

I never denied they backed the manger (though never with their money) - I just pointed out that your reasoning for defending his comments about Carroll was based on something which isn't correct.

I honestly don't see for one second how having a go at Carroll in anyway, shape or form means that the fams back Ashley either over his sale (which I guess most do but that's incidental) or somehow endorsing his business model.

Fans go to away games for the same reason I did - to meet up with mates, have a few pints, watch a game while supporting the team and genreally having a good time. This may include dodgy or unwarranted abuse or chants which imo "mean nothing" in reality. This is why protests over Ashley could never work - they just undermine the base reasons for being there. I also don't get your point about being superior to Liverpool - we've had that off the field view for as long as I can remeneber - see Shankly's comments about NUFC and SAFC - so fans enjoying themselves by saying they outsung Liverpool is again absilutely nothing to do with owners or business models - its about raw football support.

I think everone knew that a lot of the expansion after promotion was on the backs of fans and some of that was okay in my view - if an adult wants to spend £40 on something I would never dream of wearing its up to them and I don't think it was a great revelation that they were made in sweatshops. What people didn't like was the tone the fuckers used which showed their contempt for those fans as if to say "the thick fuckers don't know any better". Combine that with insulting people wives, girlfriends mothers and daughters while paying for whores is something I find objectionable but it was only one of a few things.

When Fletcher was in charge the fans were treated as walking wallets - our ST prices were extortionate in the context of regions and the way they treat those moved by the expansion showed their true views. Add in the way they distributed tickets and the meny they extorted from the club yearly and again the only word that comes to mind is contempt.

I also think its funny that as far as you're concerned "successful" owneres should be able to get way with anything and can nevcre embarrass you but a few fans sing a song draws your criticism in terms of reputation/perception - the double standards are huge.

mostly drivel.

As for the last sentence, as usual, you have a problem with people who earn money. I am quite happy to pay for the club to reach out for success, because it takes money. If you aren't prepared to do that, then don't moan if they are not successful. Success in football costs money, thats another fact.

You are missing out one point about going to away games, or any game. Yes its about having a few pints etc, but its also about WINNING.

I've explained that the actions of a director of the club doesn't reflect on me because I'm not a director of the club, its how they performing their role as directors well which is what counts, but when people think I am supporting the sale of Andy Carroll and think we are setting better standards than Liverpool and doing things better than them, then that is embarrassing.

It's also quite embarrassing that you don't appear to have the intelligence to understand this.

Edited by LeazesMag

I've explained that the actions of a director of the club doesn't reflect on me because I'm not a director of the club, its how they performing their role as directors well which is what counts, but when people think I am supporting the sale of Andy Carroll and think we are setting better standards than Liverpool and doing things better than them, then that is embarrassing.

It's also quite embarrassing that you don't appear to have the intelligence to understand this.

But the actions of fans do matter to you or reflect on the club?

How does slagging Andy Carroll endorse Liverpool over Newcastle?

How does it illustrate that the fans think Liverpool's "methods" (which are actually at the moment Ashley's) are setting better standards apart from in your warped brain?

As I said away games are about supporting the team and banter with the other fans - assigneing a political agenda to chants in ridiculous.

I'd also point out that if away games are about winning than the record at Anfield was just as shit under any owner we've ever had.

How are Liverpools current actions also Ashleys?

Basing their incoming transfers on money generated by sales.

Might change in the summer but that's what January was.

What they said in the beginning, and continue to say, is that, yes, money generated by sales will all be re-invested but so will all profits. There is no aquisition debt on the club so the 27 million interest payment paid by the previous owners will now become profit, which they say will also be re-invested. That being so, and with all merchandise and matchday boycotts now off, I'd imagine our profits will rise year on year.

Of course this is the kind of thing our other Yank friends said so it remains to be seen whether this actually happens. It's still early days but up to now they've been as good as their word. Far too early to judge them and still wary.

the champions league qualifications and european places say you are wrong, they are factual. And he never owned the club, the club was owned from 1992 - 2007 by the Halls and Shepherd. More facts.

he was crap because while he was chairman, he squandered a position of strength. if it wasn't for his mistakes that i keep pointing out to you and you keep choosing to ignore (sacking managers days after transfer windows closed, sacking robson, appointing souness, roeder then allardyce etc) we might still be a top 6 cub.

i respect the fact that shepherd and sjh had ambition the current owner lacks. but shepherd's decision making as chairman was shocking. i blame him as much as the likes of souness for us not kicking on and cementing our position as a top club while we were up there. he had no courage in his own convictions. why else would he sack a man days after the transfer window closed and he'd backed them to the tune of many millions? that's not how to run a football club. if you want your manager out, you get rid of them in the summer and give the new guy a chance to put his own team together. and if you know anything about football, you don't appoint the likes of souness or roeder.

Edited by Dr Gloom

he was crap because while he was chairman, he squandered a position of strength. if it wasn't for his mistakes that i keep pointing out to you and you keep choosing to ignore (sacking managers days after transfer windows closed, sacking robson, appointing souness, roeder then allardyce etc) we might still be a top 6 cub.

i respect the fact that shepherd and sjh had ambition the current owner lacks. but shepherd's decision making as chairman was shocking. i blame him as much as the likes of souness for us not kicking on and cementing our position as a top club while we were up there. he had no courage in his own convictions. why else would he sack a man days after the transfer window closed and he'd backed them to the tune of many millions? that's not how to run a football club. if you want your manager out, you get rid of them in the summer and give the new guy a chance to put his own team together. and if you know anything about football, you don't appoint the likes of souness or roeder.

Shepherd never owned the club. I hope you have told Liverpool they should still be employing Woy, as well as not buying our best striker, aye thats the way to do it. Presumably on that basis, you would also have kept Gullit and not replaced him with Bobby Robson ? And Arsenal should not have sacked Bruce Rioch and replaced him with Wenger ? There are so many flaws in your "opinion" [any stick to beat Fred with] its untrue.

We finished 7th and qualified for europe a year before Mike Ashley bought it.

Next.

What they said in the beginning, and continue to say, is that, yes, money generated by sales will all be re-invested but so will all profits. There is no aquisition debt on the club so the 27 million interest payment paid by the previous owners will now become profit, which they say will also be re-invested. That being so, and with all merchandise and matchday boycotts now off, I'd imagine our profits will rise year on year.

Of course this is the kind of thing our other Yank friends said so it remains to be seen whether this actually happens. It's still early days but up to now they've been as good as their word. Far too early to judge them and still wary.

thats far too basic for some to understand, some people seem to think we will sell millions of shirts with Ameobi on the back.

thats far too basic for some to understand, some people seem to think we will sell millions of shirts with Ameobi on the back.

Are you now trying to compare our commercial position with that of Liverpool - FFS how many times do yoiu have to be told that as global phenomenon there is no comparison.

In my opinion Fat Freddy only sacked SBR to save his own bacon. The Wolves game at home was they day he thought he'd better take some action - albeit a few months later.

The only player we signed that season was Lee Bowyer on a free (I think). There was the all talk of "something rotten" in NUFC at that time. Many thought it was Shepherd, many thought it was the players like Dyer etc.

Edited by Holden McGroin

We finished 7th and qualified for europe a year before Mike Ashley bought it.

Next.

You see if you actually recognised that that team was going nowhere and had actually only just escaped the threat of relegation with a decent amount of team spirit under a bloke the players liked then people could accept it.

To try and gloss over that season as some kind of staging post for improvement is delusion at its best - as we saw the next year all too well.

The season before Ashley bought it we finished 13th - or do we ignore that?