Political Correctness gone mad

Smooth Operator

:huh:

Why do you say that?

Because in both cases their humour revolves around being fat and liking cakes.

I've seen both several times btw, quite depressing how predictable Millican's material is. Brand at least was original back in the early 90s.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Because in both cases their humour revolves around being fat and liking cakes.

I've seen both several times btw, quite depressing how predictable Millican's material is. Brand at least was original back in the early 90s.

I suppose, in the same way as Louis CK and Michael McIntyre are the same because their humour resolves around the mundanity of life?

missed Jo "i'm fat, on the rag, my husband is" brand

She's getting better, her writing for that Nurse program shows she has wit and when she's on QI and the like her best moments when shes speaks about topics in her wheelhouse.

It's weird that a comic that's been oustanding* for decades, only now has the confidence that means she's more likely to be accepted as a comic, rather than a "Shocking woman"

*I mean that Brand and possibly Victoria Wood have really been the only women as traditional stand ups that have been there or thereabouts.

Jo Brand is more tolerable now than she used to be, as you say. And it's true that there are very few women who are as funny as the blokes at the minute. It's not a sexist statement, it's just a fact.

Loved Victoria Wood when I was a teenager. Still know all the words to Let's Do It too.. :lol:

Jo Brand is more tolerable now than she used to be, as you say. And it's true that there are very few women who are as funny as the blokes at the minute. It's not a sexist statement, it's just a fact.

True dat

Although saw Dame Edna at the Theatre Royal the other week (dragged along at the behest of the Mrs) and she was fucking immense, don't think I've ever laughed continually for such a long period, but even Dame Edna's a bloke.

Loved Victoria Wood when I was a teenager. Still know all the words to Let's Do It too.. :lol:

I honestly think that, at the minute, "female comedy" is almost a sub-division of comedy in the same way as Dead-pan, or surreal.

You rarely see a female comedian getting on stage and launching off into random streams of conciousness like you do Ross Noble, Bill Bailey or Izzard. You don't rarely see a female comedian deliver one-liners like Gary Delaney, Stewart Francis or Jimmy Carr.

They're mostly talking about the same scenarios like "I was in this cafe with my daughter when I/she/the waiter said [insert something ambarrassing and or inappropriate] and I said [insert witty/embarrassing/definitely inappropriate rejoinder]"

Is that their fault? Are the deadheads being shot down before they get to the live circuit, let alone the tv stages? perhaps. Is it that new female comedians only have two moulds to follow? The quirky Victoria Wood or the shocking Jo Brand? Is it that the women who're drawn to comedy are unable to write those other forms? Unlikely.

For all the shit female comedians mentioned above, I'd still rather see any of them on the show than Russell Fucking Howard (as he is officially known in the Whitehurst household).

Yashere is just like Russell Howard, in that neither say anything funny so they just shout it until people laugh. Albeit Yashere shouts in a nigerian accent because we like to have a cheeky laugh at the silly accent (apparently). Very telling that the best aspect of his show is the tried and tested Have I Got News For You funny picture format, which all these fuckers now showcase as part of the bbc act.

Millican may be a 'safe' comedian but she's still quite funny. She's fallen victim to the beeb's shoehorning though - definitely most comfortable on stage rather than as a Graham Norton (who's borderline insufferable these days).

I like to see comedians playing pubs as every so often there's a real gem. I only remember one woman though and she was acting as compare rather than one of the acts, most of which she delegated to a local improv society who were shit. Could well be that at the moment a lot of 'funny' women don't see stand up comedy as an attractive enough prospect to see a higher standard of comics making it.

Love Sarah Millican's stand-up but her TV show is woeful - too scripted and contrived. Plus her voice gets screechier throughout which just grates on me. Seen her live a couple of times and going to her current show in May - she's been class each time.

Millican has definitely toned down on the useless boyfriend stuff, used to find her horrific but she isn't too bad these days.

Quite like that Canadian (I think) lass but can't think of her name. Philomena Cunk (no idea what her real name is) is funny but not sure she would work on a panel show as I have't seen her out of character.

That Nina Conti's another one I cant stand - I don't like ventriloquists in general but she's ubershit imo.

Jeff Dunham is brilliant :D I've seen him live too. As for Nina Conti - her and her monkey are both shit.

I suppose, in the same way as Louis CK and Michael McIntyre are the same because their humour resolves around the mundanity of life?

Hardly the same. Mundanity of life is life for most people. Eating cakes, being fat, and moaning about it is reality only for a specific demographic - fat women and CT.