Roberto Martinez

Craig

ESPN breaking news - Wigan have given Villa permission to speak to him.

Don't know about everyone else but he's massively underwhelming to me. Should fit in well at Villa :rolleyes:

Anyone taking the Villa job is going to need time. Young seems almost certain to leave and Downing could follow. Thinking about it Downing would be a good signing for Liverpool. They need wingers who can cross a ball.

Looks a little bit like Lerner has "done an Ashley"....realised just how much money it takes to make a football club competitive at the top level and said "naaahhh"....Martinez comes over as a smart guy, but with the players that are likely to leave this is Villa massively lowering their horizons and no doubt their overdraft.

Looks a little bit like Lerner has "done an Ashley"....realised just how much money it takes to make a football club competitive at the top level and said "naaahhh"....Martinez comes over as a smart guy, but with the players that are likely to leave this is Villa massively lowering their horizons and no doubt their overdraft.

There's uncertainlty about NFL next season so his exposure with Villa and the Browns may have made him think again, although Lerner makes a goodly sum in interest and "management fees" from his cash put into Villa - £15Mill last year.

Guest alex
More bothered about how it might affect an N'Zogbia deal, personally.

It wont, he's got one year left on his contract and said he wants to leave.

It could, theoretically, see him also going to Villa. Especially if Young and/or Downing are sold, don't you think?

What's the uncertainty around NFL, Toonpack? Out of interest, like.

This is a very quick simplification but:

The old CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement) expired (the thing that controlled the revenue sharing, salary cap etc etc). Players and Ownership could not agree on a new split of the huge mountain of cash, players union decertified and has gone to court, owners have locked players out, could be no season this year if a deal isn't done and now as it's in the hands of the lawyers .................................

They're in grave danger of killing the goose that lays the golden eggs :rolleyes:

Worst case scenario is players win and get rid of salary cap and the draft, mega rich owners buy all the good players and same teams win all the time, sound familiar ??

Edited by Toonpack

Worst case scenario is players win and get rid of salary cap and the draft, mega rich owners buy all the good players and same teams win all the time, sound familiar ??

I don't know the history but I've always found it strange that they ever put up with the draft and caps both of which are very anti-capitalist.

Edited by NJS

I don't know the history but I've always found it strange that they ever put up with the draft and caps both of which are very anti-capitalist.

The game was getting stale, since the cap and the "level playing field" the game although always popular has seen revenue explode.

The "big market" owners don't like it but every year every team has a chance. Very anti-capitalist but a brilliant model for competition.

The game was getting stale, since the cap and the "level playing field" the game although always popular has seen revenue explode.

The "big market" owners don't like it but every year every team has a chance. Very anti-capitalist but a brilliant model for competition.

I suppose trying to impose it on football would mean destroying the club academy system and putting all the emphasis on schools. There would also be an age problem doing that (I think) as footballers are ready earlier than NFL players.

I suppose trying to impose it on football would mean destroying the club academy system and putting all the emphasis on schools. There would also be an age problem doing that (I think) as footballers are ready earlier than NFL players.

Don't think there's any way a draft could be set up in football, there's just not the level of competition there is in US college sport and the players don't go Pro until their early 20's.

Speaking of "competition" High School games regularly get 10-15,000 crowds !!! In 2006 48,000 watched the state championship game in Texas where the playoff games regularly get 40,000. It's incomparable.

Don't see why a salary cap wouldn't work (as a % of revenue) and that's what really underlies the UEFA rules, but whether they can make it stick is another matter.

Edited by Toonpack

Was 15 minutes from getting his team relegated. No sure how that makes him worthy of a move to a bigger club? We tried that with Souness and that turned out great!

It's Villa!

Really we should be nothing but thankful as hopefully that add one if not two, once Wigan promote his assistant to manager, clubs worse than we "could" be next season.

His teams try and play good football though. Teams like Villa are the same as us, little ambition, destined to be mid table for the next decade or more, so may as well appoint a manager who plays decent football, at least you can enjoy some of the games

SSN

Roberto Martinez has turned down the opportunity to take charge at Aston Villa and will remain at the helm of Wigan Athletic.

Villa requested permission to hold talks with the Spaniard earlier in the week, which was granted by Latics chairman Dave Whelan.

Whelan always insisted that he would not stand in the way of the highly-regarded young tactician, but remained confident that he would remain at the DW Stadium.

And with Whelan and Martinez locked in talks over a new and improved deal, Villa confirmed that they would be looking elsewhere for Gerard Houllier's successor.

A statement from Villa on their official website read: "Roberto met with his chairman earlier this week and he has made the decision to honour his commitment to Wigan.

"Therefore, we have not met Roberto and we have not had the opportunity to discuss the vacant managerial role with him.

"We remain focused and are working hard to secure the best candidate for Aston Villa who will complement the club's commitment to be true to our heritage competitiveness and passionate fan base and will have the new manager in place to prepare the players for the pre-season programme and next season's campaign."

Apparently told them he sees himself as the manager of a Champions league team and Villa aren't big enough for him :lol:

This is the bloke who couldn't get Swansea into the Championship Playoffs and was within 15minutes of getting Wigan relegated. Deluded!

Apparently told them he sees himself as the manager of a Champions league team and Villa aren't big enough for him :lol:

This is the bloke who couldn't get Swansea into the Championship Playoffs and was within 15minutes of getting Wigan relegated. Deluded!

Not saying McLaren is a great manager or owt but when you look at what he's done compared to Martinez and then consider they wouldn't even interview McLaren it's a bit crazy. I think they're both decent club managers fwiw like.

Mclaren won the league with Twente and won a league cup with Boro, as well as getting to a European final. He's obviously got skills as a manager because neither of those teams were world beaters and both went downhill after he left.

Mclaren won the league with Twente and won a league cup with Boro, as well as getting to a European final. He's obviously got skills as a manager because neither of those teams were world beaters and both went downhill after he left.

Good coach as well (Man Utd). Probably well shot of the toxic media coverage he'd get here though.