Fraser Forster or The Scottish Football Thread.

mls1-CelticFC

I fail to understand why fans of BPL teams feel they have to under-rate the SPL habitually.

League 1? This is a serious question: do either of you watch Scottish football? Did you not see Liverpool struggle to beat Hearts 1-0 on aggregate earlier this season in the Europa League qualifiers? This is a Hearts team that lost many of its best players over the summer and are languishing in 8th place at the time of writing.

The same Liverpool who were beaten recently by League 1 relegation strugglers Oldham?

They do tend to get a little miffed if you don't join in with their self praise regarding their club. I think Linfield are the most successful club in the world but their fans boasts are tongue in cheek, whereas Celtic's tongues just constantly flap like Ghandi's flip-flops, 'see Selic, greatest club in the weruld' (copyright chief Wrong'un detective Stevie McFaul who should be given a special dispensation to post in this thread alone if nothing else). ;)

No it's rangers that boast that they are the 'most successful football team' not us. More misinformation.

This never happened either.

Still isn't bigoted though.

Edited by mls1-CelticFC

No it's rangers that boast that they are the 'most successful football team' not us. More misinformation.

Yes I'm aware Rangers have won more than yourself, was just highlighting some of your fans boasts in a lighthearted way. Still insisting your crowds were bigger than they actually were? (Or have you knocked that bit of 'misinformation on the head?)

I fail to understand why fans of BPL teams feel they have to under-rate the SPL habitually.

League 1? This is a serious question: do either of you watch Scottish football? Did you not see Liverpool struggle to beat Hearts 1-0 on aggregate earlier this season in the Europa League qualifiers? This is a Hearts team that lost many of its best players over the summer and are languishing in 8th place at the time of writing.

Championship? You have to be kidding... Either you've been living in a cave this season, or you failed to notice we came 2nd in a group with Barcelona, Benfica and Spartak Moscow. We have performed in the Champions League this season time and again, which is the best club competition in the world.

Moreover, we have performed consistently well against English teams over the years. By my count, that's 7 wins, 5 draws and 6 losses (including the 2 losses to Arsenal since that article was written). That is not Championship standard.

On top of that, we work on a shoe-string budget relative to the BPL. Our current squad was put together for the measly sum of £15 million. Think what we could do if we had even half the budget of a BPL team... We certainly wouldn't be a Championship level side if were given a whopping £40 million a year! (soon to be £60 million for you lot...)

There is no chip, and we're not bitter. We're perfectly happy playing in the SPL, because it means at the very least we're playing in the Champions League, and playing well might I add. I'd rather have the big teams like Juventus and Barcelona come to us once in a while, than over-rated mediocre sides like QPR, Stoke and Fulham week in, week out.

And don't give me that rubbish about how you get "big" teams like Chelsea, Utd, City and Arsenal to play against all the time as well. Chelsea and City couldn't even get out of the group stages of the Champions League this season, which is pathetic given how Chelsea spent 23 times as much on their squad than we did on ours, and City 27 times as much! Arsenal are not half the team they used to be, and the same could be said of Utd. They both had piss easy groups this year and proper European teams would send them both running home with their tail between their legs, any day of the week.

Don't buy into all this Sky propaganda that you have "The Best League In The World" (after all, they do have a conflict of interest right there...). You have fallen giants like Leeds, Forest and Liverpool (to a lesser extent) who have been replaced by teams with no history (City and Chelsea, anyone?) who throw money (courtesy of Sky) at Johnny Foreigner to come prop up the team and earn a trophy or two along the way.

:lol::lol:

Forest 'Fallen giants'?

I've a lot of respect for what Forest achieved under Cloughie and wouldn't undermine those achievements at all, however it was a one off purple patch in that club's history, mate, they are hardly giants of the English game. Leeds too were nothing before Revie and their own purple patch which again I'm not undermining for what these sides did on the pitch. Newcastle Utd were a giant of the English game and are still a big club through this even though it's been far too long without a trophy for us. That we're still the eighth most successful club when our last domestic trophy was in 1955 and European success was in 1969 shows how successful we were. No offence as well, but our eleven titles/cups (not including a load of near misses), were harder won against other big city clubs with no sugar daddies than the the majority of your own I'd hazard a guess at, obviously your European Cup was the hardest thing you'll have won hands down. By the way, that Crack Italian side you beat in the final, Inter, were one of the sides that were beaten by ourselves in Europe not too long after and we also beat your mates, the most successful team in Scotland, ;) ;) ;) in the semi-final and the team that murdered a strong Leeds to win the cup.

I completely agree that SKY bullshit the Premier league. It's still the richest league in the world if not best it's in the top bracket despite the lack of respect you give to the 'likes of Stoke, Wigan' etc.

Also, while you're on about sky money, I did ask your fellow fans why they think they'd have such a huge advantage in the PL with the tv revenue when all your competitors would have the same money as yourselves? Your crowds would dwarve Wigan but they wouldn't dwarve at least half of the league and you couldn't compete against financially doped clubs like Chelsea and Man City nor could you touch Liverpool or Man Utd for revenue..........soooooooo...........how would you do so well?

Anyway, I'm off to petition the PL about there being a break-away North-East League, There'll be us, the Mackems, Boro, Darlo, Hartlepool, Gateshead, Blyth Spartans and we'll chuck in Carlisle and Scarborough for good measure. SKY will show anything, (Irish league anyone?) and will fund our league but obviously we wont get the same money as the PL so our recruitment might suffer but we'll still have our big crowds but only now we'll share our trophies with Sunderland as we dominate our league. UEFA might let us in the qualifying rounds of the CL and it'll be a struggle with our reduced talented pool of players but we'll still have the odd upset and play above ourselves. I think it's a great idea but we'd love a bit of advice from a club in a similar set up to my proposed 'North-East League'. Any ideas who I could ask?

Slagging the man's weight isn't what that chant was saying.

Yes it was, we sing the same for ex rangers goalie Andy Goram who is overweight.

Facts Magpie, Facts.

Edit: I must say though, the mass majority of us have no sympathy.

Edited by mls1-CelticFC