"Ooo leftovers?"

wykikitoon

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not lunch, it's luncheon.

Pork Luncheon Meat was a mainstay on our plates as kids. Pek Chopped Pork was used in a variety of ways, ranging from but not limited to; Pizzas, Sandwiches, Pasta.

I still like it personally, though she wont entertain it in the house as she says it smells like catfood.

I'm a creation of all that I've done in my past and what I've seen. Lived in Exeter/Torquay for a couple of years in the early 00s. Most people would tone the accent down and be more respectful of others 'way of life'. Unfortunately, I found myself, and still do to this day, comparing everything to my upbringing. I had a normal Geordie upbringing. Dad owned pubs (The Central, Half Moon, Station, Queens Head) so lived above one until I was about 10. LCL, Corned Beef and Beetroot Sandwiches and KP crisps were a delicacy in my mind until I was about 16.

You's are right though, if we were all the same it'd be a boring existance. Don't mean to come across as a cock when bigging up our area or thinking I'm Uber Geordio. Places like TupTup and them bars at the bottom of the Bigg Market sicken me though. They're not inkeeping with our heritage or way of life in Newcastle. This is why there are soo many muscle laden mongs in v-neck tshirts out on the drink everynight in Town.

Anyway, anyone fancy doing a come dine with me TT special? I can come to yours and feast on beautiful wines and scallops then you can come to mine and I'll dish up a jacket taity and cheese with a slab of Kestrel Super Strength?

:wub:

People are changing, musics changing, and accents are changing. The above in bold sums it up, I'm going to write a song about how geordies have changed from people like Oz to wanks off geordie shore and people who say lunch in just one generation.

Thinking of stuff I used to eat. My gran used to take dripping from the chip pan, fry some bacon and then soak the bread in the melted dripping fat rather than butter it. Proper bacon sarnie :wub:

People are changing, musics changing, and accents are changing. The above in bold sums it up, I'm going to write a song about how geordies have changed from people like Oz to wanks off geordie shore and people who say lunch in just one generation.

Tend to avoid drinking in Town (minus the odd bar here and there) for that very reason. Places like Florita's with VIP sections ffs. :wub:

Tend to avoid drinking in Town (minus the odd bar here and there) for that very reason. Places like Florita's with VIP sections ffs. :wub:

As I said to Mac geordies have changed from Oz's to Neville's in 25 years. I suppose Thatcher and globalisation are the key players in that though.

As I said to Mac geordies have changed from Oz's to Neville's in 25 years. I suppose Thatcher and globalisation are the key players in that though.

Its funny though, I'm immensely proud of where I'm from. I've always said I'm a Geordie first and English second. I'd happily have us as our own little state. I've got a fantastic book at home called Northern roots that talks about our local history going back to around 55AD mainly. Talks about our dialect and what we are made up of. Def worth a read. But, while I was brought up in benwell and didnt have much on the money front, its natural to want better for your kids. But, though we moved to durham, I'm determined to make sure they pick up some of my accent. though thats tricky I know. It's sad that some of the local accent is being watered down. When bathing the kids I'll sit and teach them phrases like "gan canny" much to the wifes distaste :blush:

That said, I'd certainly not be looking at the big market for a generalisation on what we have become or becoming. :blush:

Its funny though, I'm immensely proud of where I'm from. I've always said I'm a Geordie first and English second. I'd happily have us as our own little state. I've got a fantastic book at home called Northern roots that talks about our local history going back to around 55AD mainly. Talks about our dialect and what we are made up of. Def worth a read. But, while I was brought up in benwell and didnt have much on the money front, its natural to want better for your kids. But, though we moved to durham, I'm determined to make sure they pick up some of my accent. though thats tricky I know. It's sad that some of the local accent is being watered down. When bathing the kids I'll sit and teach them phrases like "gan canny" much to the wifes distaste :blush:

That said, I'd certainly not be looking at the big market for a generalisation on what we have become or becoming. :blush:

I've said the bit in bold for years. Boundaries up to the Scottish border and a border from the angel of the north up over and the border East ending at Heworth Metro.

So Neville wasn't a proper Geordie then? Was Dennis, or is being a big nosed slob and mackem sympathiser mandatory?

He played the role of a proper geordie, and ye can narf hear that Birtley twang with Dennis sometimes. The two proper geordies were Oz from NE12 and Vicky from NE16.

Big River for the new millennium.

Pretty sure the Geordie accent and dialect isn't dying out either.

It's not dying out but it's certainly being eroded.

More to charver talk than posh though I reckon. And personally I prefer the latter.

Not sure. If you move out of the area your accent can soften and worse case you can pick up a new accent of where you live. Some people seem immune to that. With that in mind, you would expect that people moving in to this area would pick up the accent over time. Or at least the odd word and phrase.

But any language evolves over time. Thats why I can't understand these people who are up in arms when people dont use grammar correctly "Dogs Dog's Dogs'" and so on. The rules are generally confusing and can be debated by doctors in English language (not that particular example :blush: ). But it evolves as it always has. Words come and go. Hence now what things like "woot" and "retweet" are now in the English Oxford.

I was pulled up on something the other day which I never gave a second thought to. All I said was "Am ganna get wrang when I get hyem". Lass I was talking to asked me to break down what I'd said so I repeated it as "I'm going to get wrong when I get home" and she still said that was a northern saying. It was actually the "getting wrong" part that she has such issue with :wub:

Neville and his overbearing wife Brenda were great characters. I used to fancy Vicky as well.

Didn't everyone, if she had blonde hair she tick most boxes. From Wideopen you know. Forgetting that early Brenda was a total moany cow she was canny in her day too, not sure about Aveline though or whatever Barry's lass was called.

More to charver talk than posh though I reckon. And personally I prefer the latter.

As I said earlier, charver talk does my head in. It's just awful and in no way should be associated with the area as a whole. I want my kids to pick up some Geordie but also I want them to be polite with it, if they started speaking charver (scotchie :wub: ) I'd start snapping their pencils/crayons and stick a knife in their ball :blush:

As I said earlier, charver talk does my head in. It's just awful and in no way should be associated with the area as a whole. I want my kids to pick up some Geordie but also I want them to be polite with it, if they started speaking charver (scotchie :wub: ) I'd start snapping their pencils/crayons and stick a knife in their ball :blush:

Big River for the new millennium.

Du du du du The Garter was the last gooooooo I heard it on me ipod, then they played Lady Gaga's song....

Neville and his overbearing wife Brenda were great characters. I used to fancy Vicky as well.

Didn't everyone, if she had blonde hair she tick most boxes. From Wideopen you know. Forgetting that early Brenda was a total moany cow she was canny in her day too, not sure about Aveline though or whatever Barry's lass was called.

:wub: I'd probably give Brenda one too tbf.

Whiney bint but a marvellous set of tits, basically.

Aye canny all round. Definitely wanted to give Wayne a portion I reckon. Dennis' bird though in Spain she had teeth like Borussia Dortmund's top, oh dear.

You'd probably give Marjorie a go too tbf. :blush:

Thinking of stuff I used to eat. My gran used to take dripping from the chip pan, fry some bacon and then soak the bread in the melted dripping fat rather than butter it. Proper bacon sarnie :wub:

Mine does that. Proper lush. :blush: