Proper shit your pants scary films

ajax_andy

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

only things that ever scared me were Alien when I was 9 and that Ghostwatch program that was on at Halloween circa 1990. Alien is now one of my fav films but it no longer scares me and I've never seen Ghostwatch since but I reckon it will have lost it's edge by todays standards.

I remember it well, it actually scared me and I remember thinking at the time, wtf??!! But was it really 1990?? :o Surely not as I watched it with my son and he would have been to young then for me to let him watch it! If so, then I'm a bad bad mother :blush2:

Edited by Toonraider

no such thing as a scary film as i havent found one yet that i have been truly scared jumpy moments ect but thats it. I was scared of a cartoon called bananas in pyjamas as a kid the song at the beginning made me think they were coming up/down the stairs to get me lol

only things that ever scared me were Alien when I was 9 and that Ghostwatch program that was on at Halloween circa 1990. Alien is now one of my fav films but it no longer scares me and I've never seen Ghostwatch since but I reckon it will have lost it's edge by todays standards.

I remember it well, it actually scared me and I remember thinking at the time, wtf??!! But was it really 1990?? :o Surely not as I watched it with my son and he would have been to young then for me to let him watch it! If so, then I'm a bad bad mother :blush2:

Just checked, it was 1992 so I wasn't that far off! Someone call social services! ;)

I can remember when i was a bairn i was sh*t scared of Starship troopers ffs :lol:

Thats nothing! When I was young (ok very young) Scooby Do scared the pants off me! I used to sit watching it scared out of my mind lol!

That's the baddies in it that I found scary btw not the dog

The Exorcist scared the shit out of me when I was ickle.

One film I've always steered well clear of.

Edit: although I watched the Leslie Nielsen spoof

Edited by Kitman

It's an excellent film in my opinion, not too scary but it's atmospheric and very well crafted.

It's an excellent film in my opinion, not too scary but it's atmospheric and very well crafted.

I think it's its reputation more than anything. I prefer my horror more slapstick, like The Evil Dead or Shaun of the Dead......

I found 'The Shining' scarey on first watch too. And some of Alfred Hitchcocks films :scare:

Good shout.

Saw the Shining when I was a teenager, alone late at night and it sticks out as the most scared I've been. Our dodgy neighbour had all the 18's and our mam used to go mad that we watched them over there when we were 10 or summat, but even the likes of elm street and Eraserhead then paled in comparison...might have been the crowd viewing compared to the loner viewing though.

Also watched Psycho a couple of years back. After midnight in the house on my own. I'd seen the first half hour a few times when i was younger but never got through it. It's proper scary like. At the end, on the stairs, I shit.

I reckon that has a massive effect on how scary something is. Watching the Shining through the day with 3 other people and it's good but a bit 'meh'. On your own late at night though - proper fucking 'scared to go for a piss' terrifying :lol: Great movie.

I remember it well, it actually scared me and I remember thinking at the time, wtf??!! But was it really 1990?? :o Surely not as I watched it with my son and he would have been too young then for me to let him watch it! If so, then I'm a bad bad mother :blush2:

Just checked, it was 1992 so I wasn't that far off! Someone call social services! ;)

Oooops! :outahere:

A lad (with mental problems) watched that, thought it was real and killed himself afterwards iirc. Was in the days before much reality tv / fly on the wall stuff.

A lad (with mental problems) watched that, thought it was real and killed himself afterwards iirc. Was in the days before much reality tv / fly on the wall stuff.

Really? :blink: Perhaps that why its rarely mentioned or shown. It was certainly quite shocking at the time, now we'd probably laugh at it!

Really? :blink: Perhaps that why its rarely mentioned or shown. It was certainly quite shocking at the time, now we'd probably laugh at it!

Aye.

And I don't think it's ever been repeated in the UK but I seem to remember clips of it being shown on a different programme.

Aye.

And I don't think it's ever been repeated in the UK but I seem to remember clips of it being shown on a different programme.

I remember that, I'd not heard of it until whatever that other show was but my lad had so we ended up watching it. Cool story, I know.

Yeah I've seen clips of it on one of those 'Top 100' ......shows.

Just read the Wiki entry all about it, very interesting. Didnt realise there was a Blog and a YouTube channel about it! Also a 'behind the scenes' show in the making. This is what it says about the lad who took his own life.

Psychological effects

A number of psychological effects were reported in Ghostwatch's wake:

18-year-old factory worker Martin Denham, who suffered from learning difficulties and had a mental age of 13, committed suicide five days after the programme aired. The family home had suffered with a faulty central heating system which had caused the pipes to knock; Denham linked this to the activity in the show causing great worry. He left a suicide note reading "if there are ghosts I will be ... with you always as a ghost". His mother and stepfather, April and Percy Denham, blamed the BBC. They claimed that Martin was "hypnotised and obsessed" by the programme.[5] The Broadcasting Standards Commission refused their complaint, along with 34 others, as being outside their remit, but the High Court granted the Denhams permission for a judicial review requiring the BSC to hear their complaint.[6][7]

In its ruling, the BSC stated that "The BBC had a duty to do more than simply hint at the deception it was practising on the audience. In Ghostwatch there was a deliberate attempt to cultivate a sense of menace." They ruled that the programme was excessively distressing and graphic - referring to the scratches on the children and the mutilated animals - and that it had aired too soon after the 9pm watershed. They further stated that "the presence in the programme of presenters familiar from children's programmes ... took some parents off-guard in deciding whether their children could continue to view."[8][9]

The film's producers argued that Ghostwatch had aired during a drama slot, that it was recognisable as fiction to a vast majority, and that running disclaimers or other announcements during the programme would have ruined its effectiveness. They also stated that, had they anticipated the audience reaction, they would have made its fictional nature clearer. However, after the BSC ruling they issued an apology.

How unfortunate that the family had suffered with central heating problems at that time.

It does say that because the program featured current children's TV presenters of the time that many parents allowed their children to watch it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I remember the bit where the camera panned along the wall and there was a ghost by the window, only for the camera to go back and the ghost to be gone. That was canny scary. Parky hamming it up in the studio at the end less so.

You know, The Shining doesn't un-nerve me at all. I'm probably one of a few people who just sees it as weird arty shit that is quite interesting, but not scary. Seen a bit of the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and that is fucked up. The whole film would probably be one of those ones that dwells on my mind for a few days. I've got to get round to watching the Jap version of The Ring.

Another one for Ghostwatch. It seemed to go on all night. i remember we were at a family friends house and watched the early bits which wasn't that bad. Mildly spooky. Ended up watching it a bit later after some channel surfing and it had taken a turn for the darker. Seeing bits on the clips shows since and it doesn't hold up well. But at the time it was freaky. I'm struggling to think of anything that gave me "can't turn off the lights" scares. The first weekend Blair Witch was out at a few of us piled down to the Metro Centre to watch it on the Friday night. That seemed to put the shits up a few of us. Especially when were were going home and had to walk through a slightly wooded area. It gets shit all over now but at the time it was pretty different to most things getting main stream releases. If it wasn't the first film to use it, it was certainly one of the pioneers of viral marketing online.