***Official Mike Ashley Euro express thread***

Baggio

LM, genuine question, do you think the global recession and current economic climate has an impact on football?

has it impacted us more than the likes of Stoke, Bolton, Blackburn etc ie forced us to lower our ambitions to such levels ? Last I looked, we were still at least twice the club that these are, wouldn't you agree ?

Was it the reason Spurs told Chelsea to fuck off when they asked about Modric ?

With at least thrice the debt (to the banks) at the time

BTW we've spent £20Mill more than each the first two, over the last 5 years, thick end of £50 Mill more than Blackburn.

are you saying we shouldn't have expanded the stadium, and sat in no mans land in mid table with a [rapidly emptying] 36,000 stadium then, rather than take on "debt" ?

Is there no end to the people who peddle this rubbish ?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you saying we shouldn't have expanded the stadium, and sat in no mans land in mid table with a [rapidly emptying] 36,000 stadium then, rather than take on "debt" ?

Where have I EVER said, intimated, or even conveyed I may have thought that, seriously :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

The stadium debt (as mentioned as nauseum) was less than half of our total debt, it's the ONLY element of the total debt that was sensible.

I don't think he was referring to the stadium, my guess it what's been spent on players.

The difference quoted between Bolton etc. is how much MORE we have spent than them in the last 5 years.

If only our stadium debt was the only debt we had. The other £52 Million was the kicker.

Bottom line for me Jay, is YES the previous regime backed the manager. But only when that level of backing didn't effect their take. See the Bowyer summer, portrayed as a summer of taking stock and consolidating, i.e. being prudent. Shame the prudence didn't stretch to the £9 million taken in Divi and salary that year aint it. That £9 Mill might just have bought a player (or two) to have kept us challenging in/around the CL when the money really exploded.

I don't think he was referring to the stadium, my guess it what's been spent on players.

The difference quoted between Bolton etc. is how much MORE we have spent than them in the last 5 years.

If only our stadium debt was the only debt we had. The other £52 Million was the kicker.

Bottom line for me Jay, is YES the previous regime backed the manager. But only when that level of backing didn't effect their take. See the Bowyer summer, portrayed as a summer of taking stock and consolidating, i.e. being prudent. Shame the prudence didn't stretch to the £9 million taken in Divi and salary that year aint it. That £9 Mill might just have bought a player (or two) to have kept us challenging in/around the CL when the money really exploded.

What he also fails to mention are the decidedly average players signed in the last few years before Ashley bought the club, players that now would be scoffed at.

Where have I EVER said, intimated, or even conveyed I may have thought that, seriously :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

The stadium debt (as mentioned as nauseum) was less than half of our total debt, it's the ONLY element of the total debt that was sensible.

not backing your manager is sensible ?

You're completely losing the plot, in your desperation to avoid answering the questions I've been asking you for ages.

What he also fails to mention are the decidedly average players signed in the last few years before Ashley bought the club, players that now would be scoffed at.

5th most qualified team for europe in 15 years, 5th highest average league position in 15 years, turning a club that couldn't sell for 1.25m quid into the 14th biggest turnover in football, expanding the stadium from a half full cow shed into one of the biggest and best in europe, attracting world class footballers including a world transfer record and title winning managers and managers of international standing to the club - I think justifies the transfer policy and covers any mistakes, and any manageable debts accrued [which all clubs have who want to do anything or get anywhere in football] unless you are cherry picking. Please tell me when your man with his sell and replace "selling club" policy will EVER finish 5th in the premiership ONCE.

Until then, listen to what I tell you and shut up.

Edited by LeazesMag

Tbf LM, I think most would struggle, or should struggle to criticise what H&Ss done for the club. Rescuing it from the mire and propelling us into a top 6 side. Much what you say is correct. However at the end of the tenure things were not so rosey. For managers we attracted Souness and Big Sam. We dropped down to 14th, got back up to 7th and then dropped back to 13th. We looked a very different side to the one regularly qualifying for Europe.

We all know that FFS and the board done very well personally out of the club. Many raised eyebrows over what they took out, what Douglas and his wife took out and the dodgy car loaning between the different companies. but, did anyone really give a shit? No, not when we were playing in europe. It's easy to gloss over these bit when we are doing well, and rightly so. FFS shouldnt be immune to criticism but equally should be applauded for what he achieved.

For large parts of the period we had the second highest income so you could say being fifth was a "failure".

Now we have the seventh highest so are at the "correct" level on that basis.

Thing is with Leazes is that he's like me dad. Long since passed caring whether he's right or wrong anymore; he's just continuing the argument to piss the other person off for his own amusement.

I can see him chuckling to himself as someone foolishly tries to argue the point. He'll then throw in the same tired argument, type usual 'your man' shite and he's done for another day.

Dull as fuck and pointless even trying to engage him.

Anyone got a spare hour to take the last 20 or so posts Leazes' responded to in the football forum and create a flowchart that never ends?

Can't be bothered to do the full thing but would suggest a start along the lines of:

Did They win

Yes – Allow minimum 48 hours before posting (you’ve been away, remember!)

No – Post within 24 hours (Flash in the pan/I was right/going backwards)

Thing is with Leazes is that he's like me dad. Long since passed caring whether he's right or wrong anymore; he's just continuing the argument to piss the other person off for his own amusement.

I can see him chuckling to himself as someone foolishly tries to argue the point. He'll then throw in the same tired argument, type usual 'your man' shite and he's done for another day.

Dunno about that like, I'd go as far as to say it keeps him awake at night. :lol:

Dunno about that like, I'd go as far as to say it keeps him awake at night. :lol:

Nah man. He toddles off to bed about 10 with horlicks in hand, has a quick one off the wrist to a picture of SJH and FS with their arms around each other. Chuckles at the thought of all the people annoyed at him and then drifts off to sweet dreams and recollections of almost winning something.

I expect the usual idiots to make excuses when Tiote leaves in January.

ashley wont be spending anything in january he will be selling more players i reckon

well done dedders, you see it correctly more than the self proclaimed geniuses on here.

What happened here then?

Dissapointed we didn't get defensive cover so let's hope Colo and Williamson stay fit or at least they are never both injured at the same time.

On the positive side none of our top players have been sold and we have added a quality £9m striker, so its been a pretty good window which still leaves us with a decent chance of a top 7 finish and maybe Europa league

*I don't give a fuck the team were booed for finishing 5th years ago so don't bother saying it