Terry to be prosecuted

Gemmill

No, I can't think of many more serious things than proving to Britain that racial prejudice is no longer tolerated in the 21st century. That doesn't sound like a waste of taxpayer money to me at all.

As for 'acting like men', I know I wouldn't shake the hand of, or be seen at a press conference with, someone who had abused me because of my skin colour. I doubt you would either, if racial abuse of white people were something common enough for you to have ever faced it in your life.

@PL: Not even worth discussing the topic with someone who thinks Terry might not be guilty.

What you are I think about his guilt is irrelevent as we're not trying him. Once you've got a law you've got to stick to it, good or bad. This is PC predjudice of the worth kind iyam, the law was introduced for and by the likes of you who see the world in a purely black and white way, if you see what I mean.

Perhaps you think you can legislate away problems like this. OK then, what legislation largly removed widespread racial chanting in English football grounds in the early 90s? Its not perfect even now, but its massively, hugely improved on the 70s and 80s situation. So what act of Parliament caused the massive sea change in behaviour? Dont worry, I wont hold my breath for an answer thats actually reflects something on the statutue book.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm amazed Chelsea have got away with this as lightly as they have compared to Liverpool.

Why? One set of fans (and club for that matter) put on the most undignified deluded show you will ever see, digging bigger holes for themselves by the week, where as another have maintained a relatively dignified silence on the matter.

Why? One set of fans (and club for that matter) put on the most undignified deluded show you will ever see, digging bigger holes for themselves by the week, where as another have maintained a relatively dignified silence on the matter.

Chelsea's hands were tied by the potential court case. I'm not sure if they could make any public comment about it even if they wanted to. The difference between the two cases is that there was no complaint to the police about what Suarez is alleged to have said. Alex Ferguson knew it was a matter for the ref and then the FA to investigate, not the police. Fergie took Evra to the refs changing room after the game where the ref took a statement. Correct decision by Fergie iyam. Ferdinand and/or his girlfriend went to the police.

Perhaps you think you can legislate away problems like this. OK then, what legislation largly removed widespread racial chanting in English football grounds in the early 90s? Its not perfect even now, but its massively, hugely improved on the 70s and 80s situation. So what act of Parliament caused the massive sea change in behaviour? Dont worry, I wont hold my breath for an answer thats actually reflects something on the statutue book.

More to do with the gentrification of football via all-seaters than any society wide anti-racist zeitgest. I think the latter has happened but if you go to an away game where the fanset is more "concentrated" old school fans than that racism is nearer the surface than at home games.

Edited by NJS

If you're a naughty boy you have 2 options. You go to bed without any supper or you apologise. Not a fake apology either, a genuine one with handshakes and cuddles. The fact Terry refuses to apologise in any way says everything about the cunt. He's kicking and screaming as Supernanny drags him up the merry dancers.

Like Suarez the cunt. I'm amazed Chelsea have got away with this as lightly as they have compared to Liverpool.

As already pointed out, once the case was going to court it came under sub-judiciary rules. From a football point of view bringing the police in to it was the best thing for Chelsea and Terry. It kept the press from making comments, it prevented any bad press for Chelsea, and all of those 'crawl out the woodwork 'I'm black and very offended' people from seeking the limelight.

It also meant that the evidence had to be proven, and not, as in the case of Suarez, a verdict of probability. The CPS would have thrown the Suarez case out as it was one mans word against another, with no video evidence or witnesses. The chief constable of Merseyside was on local radio a few months ago answering questions of a local nature, and in the course of the phone in racism came up and he said that Evra had been asked quite pointedly, twice, if he'd allow the police to investigate it. He refused both times.

In retrospect, I'm sorry some member of the public didn't make an official complaint in our case, it couldn't possibly have been worse than it turned out. But then, nobody actually heard Evra being 'racially' abused.

I personally don't believe Terry is racist, and cases like this have become farcical, although Terry is a cunt of the highest order. I think there are far worse things happen on the pitch with relatively little consequence.

Edited by Pacinofan

As already pointed out, once the case was going to court it came under sub-judiciary rules. From a football point of view bringing the police in to it was the best thing for Chelsea and Terry. It kept the press from making comments, it prevented any bad press for Chelsea, and all of those 'crawl out the woodwork 'I'm black and very offended' people from seeking the limelight.

It also meant that the evidence had to be proven, and not, as in the case of Suarez, a verdict of probability. The CPS would have thrown the Suarez case out as it was one mans word against another, with no video evidence or witnesses. The chief constable of Merseyside was on local radio a few months ago answering questions of a local nature, and in the course of the phone in racism came up and he said that Evra had been asked quite pointedly, twice, if he'd allow the police to investigate it. He refused both times.

In retrospect, I'm sorry some member of the public didn't make an official complaint in our case, it couldn't possibly have been worse than it turned out. But then, nobody actually heard Evra being 'racially' abused.

I personally don't believe Terry is racist, and cases like this have become farcical, although Terry is a cunt of the highest order. I think there are far worse things happen on the pitch with relatively little consequence.

I don't think he is any more "racist" than lots of players, and people, he plays alongside players from all over the world - but I totally agree that he's a cunt and there is no doubt at all that far worse things happen on a football pitch too.

I'm amazed it's taken this long for the Scousers to try and make this about them.

Terry is a cunt and used a racial term because he's a moron. Suarez is a cunt and used a racial term because he's a nasty piece of work.

Now fuck off and keep to being a victim in your own cases.

I think the posts of Leazes and Stevie prove exactly why this case needs to happen. It is vital to demonstrate that media highlighted role models cannot use racist language and get away with it. As I think Gemmill said, if this gets chucked out of court then you'll have kids at school doing the same because they'll think this behaviour is acceptable.

Scousers still peddling the "one man's word" shit again, Suarez admitted it ffs. As Fish says, fuck off.

I really don't agree. I think mowing over kids while driving without a license, or deliberately blowing up innocent people in buses going to work, buildings, shopping centres, or beheading them simply because they happen to be living in their country, to be far worse.

I also think that we shouldn't have to put up with and live among scumbags such as Abu Hamza [of which there are many more than the brainwashed kids think], telling us what we can and can't do, can and can't SAY [read that word out to yourself], while sponging off a country that they hate while having no intention to work and put anything into it either, but we do.

Incidentally, what is your opinion of the Queen having to shake hands with that IRA scumbag the other week ?

Cba reading everything, but that IS dealt with more seriously than the Terry affair. Heard 'There's more important things they should be focusing on' from quite a few people, but what does that even mean?

The papers might have Terry all over the front pages, but that doesn't mean it's getting more police attention than serious crimes, it just means its getting more media coverage. So saying theres more important things they should be throwing the book at is a bit of a nonsense as it isn't the police that have chosen to make the Terry affair a huge case (larger than rapes, killings etc), it's that it happens to be what people are interested in reading. And i don't think you would find many people that would say its more important than those cases.

And while those cases are worse, it doesn't mean cases like this should be ignored. I don't think littering is as bad as car theft, but if some knob's fly tipping fridges I'd still like him to be charged AS WELL AS the local car thief.

I'm not saying Chelsea have been as bad as Liverpool at all. Just that they seem to have dodged a bullet completely when they could have leaned on their player to hold his hands up, apologise and move on from the whole sorry mess without a media circus lasting the best part of a year. The FA too.

Of course it's Terry's right to deny the charge, but there's nothing to say a club or the FA can't act until the mater is resolved, is there?

Of course it's Terry's right to deny the charge, but there's nothing to say a club or the FA can't act until the mater is resolved, is there?

Yes there is. Any action taken by the club or the FA before the trial that stated or even implied guilt on Terry would be seen as prejudicing the trial. It's the same reason that they decided not to wear Suarez-like tshirts.

The correct course of action from the FA should have been to suspend him from the national side pending the outcome of the trial. Instead they completely ballsed that up by essentially stating that they don't want a possible racist captaining their country but he was okay to play for them.

Chelsea's hands were tied by the potential court case. I'm not sure if they could make any public comment about it even if they wanted to. The difference between the two cases is that there was no complaint to the police about what Suarez is alleged to have said. Alex Ferguson knew it was a matter for the ref and then the FA to investigate, not the police. Fergie took Evra to the refs changing room after the game where the ref took a statement. Correct decision by Fergie iyam. Ferdinand and/or his girlfriend went to the police.

Neither Ferdinand nor his girlfriend went to the police. In fact Ferdinand was reluctant for the police to investigate it at all.

Yes there is. Any action taken by the club or the FA before the trial that stated or even implied guilt on Terry would be seen as prejudicing the trial. It's the same reason that they decided not to wear Suarez-like tshirts.

The correct course of action from the FA should have been to suspend him from the national side pending the outcome of the trial. Instead they completely ballsed that up by essentially stating that they don't want a possible racist captaining their country but he was okay to play for them.

Sorry, I need glove puppets here. Could the FA have suspended him or not?

A guilty verdict should end any chance the horrible cunt has of making a post playing career life in the media. Would be an ideal verdict to save us all.

Hasn't ended Ron Atkinson's, can't see why it'd end Terry's (not that I think he was going to go after one btw)

Could Chelsea could have done that too if they wished?

Absolutely. But he's too important to Chelsea.

As previously mentioned, when Mutu was caught doing drugs they couldn't get him out the door quick enough. If that had've been Terry then things would've been different. Mutu was an underperforming player on huge wages. Terry is Mr. Chelsea and still on of the best CBs in the league and that is why Chelsea will stand by him.

Hasn't ended Ron Atkinson's, can't see why it'd end Terry's (not that I think he was going to go after one btw)

is atkinson still around?

Im too young the remember him being good at what he did to me he's pretty much just a running joke

Absolutely. But he's too important to Chelsea.

As previously mentioned, when Mutu was caught doing drugs they couldn't get him out the door quick enough. If that had've been Terry then things would've been different. Mutu was an underperforming player on huge wages. Terry is Mr. Chelsea and still on of the best CBs in the league and that is why Chelsea will stand by him.

Aye, exactly my point then.

Zero tolerance to racism.....unless we can get away with tolerating it.

Kick racism out of football....unless the racist is geet good at kicking the ball.

Not a dignified silence but a self-serving ignorance of the blatant.

Not high profile stuff but he's been on William Hill's podcast and (although I can't find it) I'm sure he's done some colour commentary recently.

A guilty verdict should end any chance the horrible cunt has of making a post playing career life in the media. Would be an ideal verdict to save us all.

didn't stop Stan Collymore, or Alan Brazil. Collymore especially.