The Day The Promises Had To Stop

LeazesMag

newcastle-united-denis-cassidy-large.jpg

I said I'd review this, fairly and without any pre-judgements, and I will. I've just read the first 2 chapters, and thought it may be a good idea to post as I go.

First impressions, is that you can't doubt the credentials of Mr Cassidy as a NUFC supporter, he's seen quite a lot it would seem, although how often he actually attended games is not yet clear.

He went to the Leicester game that we won to stay up from the 3rd division, he knows Sir John Hall, Douglas, Freddie Shepherd, Freddie Fletcher well, and all the previous directors as he was in on the power struggle and was Sales Director of BHS when John Hall initially floated his idea to build the Metro Centre. And he opposed it, he didn't recommend BHS take a site in the Metro Centre until John Hall said if Marks and Spencer take a site, will BHS take one, and he agreed, so John Hall got M and S to take a site. He thought it had no chance of succeeding, and John Hall at the time was just a little known businessman. He gives him credit for proving him and a lot of people wrong.

So that is the first misjudgement.

Anyway, he is describing the backround to the acquisition of shares by Cameron Hall, he correctly

paints the idea that these were desperate times, with the onset of the premiership, sky TV, and the importance of Newcastle United not to be left behind and the fact that all the backround politics was not helping matters.

He correctly states that Gazza, Beardsley and Waddle left because there was no future for them at the club at the time, culiminating in even more erratic performances, falling attendances, frequent changes of manager, a decaying stadium, mounting debts, and finally an attempted takeover.

He then states "The form of the new centre forward, Micky Quinn", and the attractive attacking football he played".....this is the first downer so far, anybody who saw Quinn knows he was nothing more than a goal poacher [but a very good one who with a bit more pace would have been as good as the top drawer strikers] and it's a strange comment which seems out of place and suggests he is not so knowledgeable of this era as he says. I also get the feeling he is going to glorify promotion from the 2nd division, which to me, is a horror story everytime I see stories of NUFC and "glorious promotion" because it suggests that it is utopia, where in fact the whole scenario of NUFC even playing in the old 2nd division is a no-go area for me and should be seen as the total embarrassment that it really is. I suppose its about expectations.

Anyway........I read on.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got this when it was first released, i really enjoyed it and he paints a shocking picture of the board as he goes on, I'm really looking forward to how you view these later chapters

I said I wouldn't pre-judge, and I won't. But I'll tell you now, all that business about "dogs", the brothel etc, doesn't bother me in the slightest, I didn't give a toss at the time and never will if it happened again, the only thing that concerns me is how the run the playing side of the club and back their managers. I supported this club when "gentlemen" ran it ie McKeag and all that crowd, give me football men anytime.

Is Toonpack going to enter this, or does he - as I suspect - only cherry pick that sig of his, like macbeth [on NO] who does nothing other than peddle a personality hatred based agenda.

Anyway, I hope people can view this openly, I'll do as I say.

Needless to say, I think this book will be beyond the comprehension of some people that thought football began in 1992 and the evil Halls and Shepherd put an end to decades of glorious trophy collecting.

Edited by LeazesMag

" Needless to say, I think this book will be beyond the comprehension of some people that thought football began in 1992 and the evil Halls and Shepherd put an end to decades of glorious trophy collecting. "

" Needless to say, I think this book will be beyond the comprehension of some people that thought football began in 1992 and the evil Halls and Shepherd put an end to decades of glorious trophy collecting. "

I said I'd review this, fairly and without any pre-judgements, and I will. I've just read the first 2 chapters, and thought it may be a good idea to post as I go.

First impressions, is that you can't doubt the credentials of Mr Cassidy as a NUFC supporter, he's seen quite a lot it would seem, although how often he actually attended games is not yet clear.

He went to the Leicester game that we won to stay up from the 3rd division, he knows Sir John Hall, Douglas, Freddie Shepherd, Freddie Fletcher well, and all the previous directors as he was in on the power struggle and was Sales Director of BHS when John Hall initially floated his idea to build the Metro Centre. And he opposed it, he didn't recommend BHS take a site in the Metro Centre until John Hall said if Marks and Spencer take a site, will BHS take one, and he agreed, so John Hall got M and S to take a site. He thought it had no chance of succeeding, and John Hall at the time was just a little known businessman. He gives him credit for proving him and a lot of people wrong.

Anyway, he is describing the backround to the acquisition of shares by Cameron Hall, he correctly

paints the idea that these were desperate times, with the onset of the premiership, sky TV, and the importance of Newcastle United not to be left behind and the fact that all the backround politics was not helping matters.

He correctly states that Gazza, Beardsley and Waddle left because there was no future for them at the club at the time, culiminating in even more erratic performances, falling attendances, frequent changes of manager, a decaying stadium, mounting debts, and finally an attempted takeover.

He then states "The form of the new centre forward, Micky Quinn", and the attractive attacking football he played".....this is the first downer so far, anybody who saw Quinn knows he was nothing more than a goal poacher [but a very good one who with a bit more pace would have been as good as the top drawer strikers] and it's a strange comment which seems out of place and suggests he is not so knowledgeable of this era as he says. I also get the feeling he is going to glorify promotion from the 2nd division, which to me, is a horror story everytime I see stories of NUFC and "glorious promotion" because it suggests that it is utopia, where in fact the whole scenario of NUFC even playing in the old 2nd division is a no-go area for me and should be seen as the total embarrassment that it really is. I suppose its about expectations.

Anyway........I read on.

Fascinated to see your review/analysis of this book. Keep it coming. :)

Anyway........I read on.

Me too, have never read it (nor any other football book for that matter)

Chapter 4

He correctly describes how the share flotation failed, and the club couldn’t raise anywhere near the 2.5m quid required, in fact it only raised less than half, which left John Hall as the largest shareholder with over 3 million shares, and held a majority shareholding. Gordon McKeag resigned, but was succeeded by George Forbes so Hall resigned and took up the role of Vice President.

However, Douglas was appointed to the board to represent the Magpie Group, but quit soon after.

Then he lets himself down again, he says “Ardiles introduced a blend of local talent and some shrewdly purchased younger players”. In fact, he did nothing of the sort, he bought David Kelly and youngsters such as Lee Clark, Steve Watson and Alan Thompson were already there, and his reign was an absolute disaster, if he had not been replaced, I personally have no doubt that we would have been relegated.

In November, we were bottom of the league.

At this time, the coup happened, McKeag, Seymour were out, and Douglas Hall, Freddie Shepherd, David McVickers were in. At the time, everybody was very pleased and optimistic, most of the fans wanted the new regime to work and John Hall had sold himself to the vast majority of fans, who had had enough of decades of apathy.

Freddie Fletcher was appointed and he immediately chose Kevin Keegan as the man to revive the club, whether that was astute or inspired we will never know, but he took over from the sacked Ardiles after a 5-2 defeat at Oxford in February 1992.

He then goes on to describe the initial months, Keegans walkout, the escape from relegation, and the resultant statement on 6th July “Newcastle United is now a subsidiary undertaking of Cameron Hall Developments Ltd”, holding 87.64% of the shares.

Anyway........I read on.

Me too, have never read it (nor any other football book for that matter)

so you have no idea of the context of that phrase you use in your sig ?

What a joke.

Chapter 5

======

He lets himself down again here, he describes the start to the season and how the team raced away at the top of the 2nd division. Then he said they had “jitters” following the defeat by Grimsby, Leicester and a draw at Swindon. He said that “concerns were increasing, not only because of the erratic results, but also of the quality of the opposition when compared to that which they would face in the Premiership”.

He also says they dropped points in December, but recovered and in January and February in the 6 weeks between beating Peterborough on 16 January and a 3-0 win over Tranmere on 28 February. This may be true, but the majority of matches were away from home, and this was nothing more than a short blip that everybody has, no team has ever stayed on top form for an entire season.

In fact, we were the best team in the league that season by a mile right from the very first game, we beat the teams that were in front of us in the way that you would expect a team going places to do it, I never personally had the slightest doubt once the season got underway that we were going to win that league. I don’t know a single person who didn’t enjoy every single minute of that season, we were so superior from start to finish.

Incorrect perceptions of the facts such as this, are giving me big doubts as to the accuracy and neutrality, if I don’t think the truth is being portrayed correctly regarding incidents and facts that I know of myself, how am I to believe what I’m going to read when I get to the juicy confidential stuff later ?

Another thing, as he describes the first season back and the build up to challenging for the title after a few years, the 1-0 defeat, and the title run-in, he refers to Man Utd as “Manchester”. On EVERY occasion. I have NEVER met a real football supporter anywhere who calls Man U “Manchester” [apart from a foreigner who didn’t realise there was a Manchester City too].