Niall Quinn's Sunderland dream

McFaul

I presume it's either his drinking or his accounting.

If it's the former, O'Neill's probably issued Short with an ultimatum & there was only going to be one loser in that battle.

if it's the latter, then presumably the shitstorm caused by HMRC with the Huns may replicate itself on wearyside & Mr Charity has to get out sharpish before the bailiffs arrive.

Personally I despise the self confessed problem drinker & bad parent

He speaks highly of you like ;)

for the avoidance of doubt, i still despise Quinn despite his departure from the paraffins

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it this?

http://www.readytogo...ad.php?t=675422

Mag on twitter

Ali Grey @NotAliGrey

Congratulations to Niall Quinn for completing his National Service. 6 years in Sunderland, can't imagine the horrors he witnessed.

Noticed they've got threads up there calling for a stand to be named after Quinn and for a statue to be erected in his honour. Bit over the top if you ask me.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

Quinns always struck me as a decent bloke. He's just gone up in my estimation by leaving SAFC. For me the interesting question is why he's gone.

The club is plainly going in the right direction for now on the pitch. O'Neill is making a silk purse out of a sow's ear but it's a moot point how long some of these players will continue to punch above their weight when the honeymoon period's over. Why is Quinn jumping ship when they are, according to some of their more excitable fans, at the start of a new golden age?

I also wonder whether Short will bank roll the club as he has done up to now. Brewce pissed up the wall huge amounts of money on overpriced players imo who O'Neill will want to replace (and he has a chequered history in that dept too). Remains to be seen whether Short will support him in the summer, failure to do so may see another flounce from O'Neill.

Come what may, I reckon money will be tight (unless they make it to Wemberlee) and Short may find it very difficult to attract/sustain investment in a deeply unfashionable club. He has no affection for the club or the area (just like our own rotund owner) so he's only in it for the money. Wonder what goes through his mind when he looks at row upon row of empty seats despite O'Neill's recent success.

I get the feeling there is more turbulence ahead for the Mackems, and I wonder whether Quinn resigning as chairman and then jumping ship is an augur of storm clouds ahead. By contrast. we seem to have stumbled upon stability of some kind, although you never know what Fat Mike is up to next.

Is it this?

Mag on twitter

Ali Grey @NotAliGrey

Congratulations to Niall Quinn for completing his National Service. 6 years in Sunderland, can't imagine the horrors he witnessed.

Noticed they've got threads up there calling for a stand to be named after Quinn and for a statue to be erected in his honour. Bit over the top if you ask me.

In all honesty who else could they build a statue for? From 1973 to the present day, Sewpa Kev is probably their biggest success story, not even taking the piss. I made the point to a mackem the other week that Sessegnon (purely in my view) is their best player in living memory. If you go back 1980 to now, picking Sunderland's best team over the last 32 years, you'd end up with a fucking average side. Try it.

Is it this?

Mag on twitter

Ali Grey @NotAliGrey

In all honesty who else could they build a statue for? From 1973 to the present day, Sewpa Kev is probably their biggest success story, not even taking the piss. I made the point to a mackem the other week that Sessegnon (purely in my view) is their best player in living memory. If you go back 1980 to now, picking Sunderland's best team over the last 32 years, you'd end up with a fucking average side. Try it.

I get stuck after Given and Phillips. Kelly and waddle were good but just for other teams.

I'd love to think the crowd on Saturday was the final straw but its obviously this has been coming - probably even going back to when the Irish fuckers sold out to Short.

Decent bloke but he was fucking kidding himself about how biig they are.

I'll have a go right:

Sorensen - who was never that good

Venison - who was a kid, but a good kid

Gray - who was shit, but their best left back

Ball - fuckin snookered by anyone quick

Bennett - relegated twice with them say nee more

Hutchison - did well for Sunderland

Sessegnon - canny play imo

Armstrong - biggest scumbag of the lot, Cruddas Park born n bred

Downing - played aboot 12 games on loan

Gabbiadini - imo he was more prolific and better for Sunderland than Quinn - a flop when he left though

Sewpa Kev - brilliant fox in the box but would he be in our top 10 strikers of the last 30 years, possibly but he'd be 9th or 10th and he's their best

Absolutely shite isn't it? Where's their Beardsley? Paul Kitson would probably get a place on that bench.

Gerrin thats the next Gerld thread sorted...the Inherently Moral Quinnyshop thread

ATTN: Howay

Might want to read this:

http://www.readytogo...ad.php?t=675491

Cheesy Chips

How long have the mags used it as an 'insult' against us and why?

Genuinely haven't a clue.

:lol: Fucking class that, all asking why we do it while they're all quite obviously in a frenzy over it.

Edit: The post from one saying a lad asked if he drank Villa pop, cut him deep that.

Edited by Howay

Quinns always struck me as a decent bloke. He's just gone up in my estimation by leaving SAFC. For me the interesting question is why he's gone.

The club is plainly going in the right direction for now on the pitch. O'Neill is making a silk purse out of a sow's ear but it's a moot point how long some of these players will continue to punch above their weight when the honeymoon period's over. Why is Quinn jumping ship when they are, according to some of their more excitable fans, at the start of a new golden age?

I also wonder whether Short will bank roll the club as he has done up to now. Brewce pissed up the wall huge amounts of money on overpriced players imo who O'Neill will want to replace (and he has a chequered history in that dept too). Remains to be seen whether Short will support him in the summer, failure to do so may see another flounce from O'Neill.

Come what may, I reckon money will be tight (unless they make it to Wemberlee) and Short may find it very difficult to attract/sustain investment in a deeply unfashionable club. He has no affection for the club or the area (just like our own rotund owner) so he's only in it for the money. Wonder what goes through his mind when he looks at row upon row of empty seats despite O'Neill's recent success.

I get the feeling there is more turbulence ahead for the Mackems, and I wonder whether Quinn resigning as chairman and then jumping ship is an augur of storm clouds ahead. By contrast. we seem to have stumbled upon stability of some kind, although you never know what Fat Mike is up to next.

Purely gut feeling, I think he jumped rather than be pushed.

And in the words of an old song ''There may be trouble ahead''

Purely gut feeling, I think he jumped rather than be pushed.

And in the words of an old song ''There may be trouble ahead''

Yes, same here.

Pure speculation of course, but it could be a case of Quinn, as a football man who loves the club, locking horns with Yank owner who's fucked off with pouring cash into bottomless pit and has closed his wallet. This leads to Quinn being sidelined to fringe role and then deciding to leg it before it all goes to shit.

Or as Chez says it could be that he's been sidelined because Short thinks he's a mug. Time will tell I suppose.

Agree it must be soul-destroying for Short seeing 22k v Arsenal in the 5th round of the cup given the run Sunderland are on. Especially when Arsenal took about 4 thousand.

:lol:So they finish above us for 3 years and that's it we're suddenly very similar in size. That thread proves what many of us know of the majority of their fanbase

That's how they define themselves as a club tbf ;)

I think, and this is honest having worked there, actual mackems, not people with mackem accents from Peaterlee, Washington, County Derrum etc... peapul from Sunderland town, are brought up to HATE Newcastle and everything about it. Whereas I don't think it was a concious effort from my dad and uncles but with us it's more like we're brought up to laugh at Sunderland and mackems rather than hate. That's why they're happy as long as they're above us imo.

My lass and I used to stay over at this pal of hers who lived in Seaham and the hatred was palpable when they heard your accent in the offy. This lass's sister came round with her bairn (who was about 5) one Saturday morning and the first thing she said to her laddie was 'He's a Mag'. :lol: My lass' mate was alreet like and didn't give a fuck about football (and was trying her best to move out of Seaham tbf to her) but fuck me, what a place :lol:

My lass and I used to stay over at this pal of hers who lived in Seaham and the hatred was palpable when they heard your accent in the offy. This lass's sister came round with her bairn (who was about 5) one Saturday morning and the first thing she said to her laddie was 'He's a Mag'. :lol: My lass' mate was alreet like and didn't give a fuck about football (and was trying her best to move out of Seaham tbf to her) but fuck me, what a place :lol:

I had to go to Seaburn recently and the toon were playing Liverpool, and there's a bookies next to the social club. I went to buy a new bike off this bloke saved £300. Anyway being a mug I went in the bookies and in big letters NEWCASTLE TO WIN 11/2. The bloke behind the counter was talking to his mate, didn't even look at me "I hate puttin thease on, it mayuks mea speet! Orrible maggy coonts. Ewur area managers a mag e's a coont too I 'ate them" I'm stood there and he's completely ignored me. Apart from a "Chea-urz". Absolute smallsville that place.

Had a couple of pints in the Harbour View once. It's the only time I've ever been to the place iirc. I'd been to a one-day international with a lad I worked with and his Dad v. Australia at Durham but it was rained off. They were both mackems and they were basically canny so long as you avoided the subject of football because they were just so bitter. This was just after Keegan's first reign as manager (KD might've been boss). Funnily enough it emerged a few months later that my uncle had, some years before, literally knocked this kid's Dad's teeth out many years before (and the lad was there to see it). It came out a day or two after me and the lad had a conversation about local football. He'd mentioned my Dad and Uncle to his Dad and he remembered the name. Anyway, this mackem I worked with was saying what a disgrace it was, as my uncle had chinned his fatha for nowt. I double-checked with my uncle and apparently this bloke was secretary of a rival club and had been goading him for 90 mins. At full-time he tried to be all pally so my uncle punched him and knocked half his teeth out. Funny hearing both sides of the story like :D

Guest CabayeAye

I had to go to Seaburn recently and the toon were playing Liverpool, and there's a bookies next to the social club. I went to buy a new bike off this bloke saved £300. Anyway being a mug I went in the bookies and in big letters NEWCASTLE TO WIN 11/2. The bloke behind the counter was talking to his mate, didn't even look at me "I hate puttin thease on, it mayuks mea speet! Orrible maggy coonts. Ewur area managers a mag e's a coont too I 'ate them" I'm stood there and he's completely ignored me. Apart from a "Chea-urz". Absolute smallsville that place.

It is pretty mutant heavy there! Have you ever been to Murton?

It is pretty mutant heavy there! Have you ever been to Murton?

Been to Horden, proper Billy Elliot land. Seaburn which is only 2 mile from where CT lives to be fair, has the most mackem of mackem accents though.