NUFC summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

Last thing we want (which I know he wouldn't do) is invest heavily then not qualify next season and suddenly need to cut costs again.

If we got say £20M extra, you could safely get one £5M player extra and pay him 50K per week for 5 years and have change.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we need to massively improve the squad. One or two areas could do with some quality and a couple good squad players.

Agree with this. Approx 9 of our current best team I would be more than happy to start with next season.

Problem is not knowing which of those 9 might be poached.

I don't think we need to massively improve the squad. One or two areas could do with some quality and a couple good squad players.

For the most part, it's defenders too, and they traditionally cost less than £35 million strikers, to pluck a figure completely at random.

Encouraging.

Agree with this. Approx 9 of our current best team I would be more than happy to start with next season.

Problem is not knowing which of those 9 might be poached.

No-one is going to get "poached" if a silly offer comes in a player will likely be sold, with CL cash that risk diminishes, otherwise they'll not flog anyone if they can help it.

Despite the "selling our best players" hysteria and bullshit in certain quarters, it is NOT a policy here any more than it is for any club.

No-one is going to get "poached" if a silly offer comes in a player will likely be sold, with CL cash that risk diminishes, otherwise they'll not flog anyone if they can help it.

Despite the "selling our best players" hysteria and bullshit in certain quarters, it is NOT a policy here any more than it is for any club.

I'll tell you what its more to do with like. We've got players other clubs want for a change rather than dickheads who nee 'top' club would touch with a barge pole.

Good.

That remains to be seen. I hope you are right but lets get through the summer first.

If silly money offers come in players will be sold, if we qualify for the CL that risk is somehwat mitigated. It's not rocket science, it's the same for any club.

If we do get in the CL, Spurs will be at risk more than us (Modric/Bale)

I wasn't talking about the clubs policy.

But playing in the CL and wages effect players. Even if we get into the CL players will move on if clubs offer a lot more money.

If we don't get into the CL then there's two reasons to move.

Just a fact of life unfortunately.

If silly money offers come in players will be sold, if we qualify for the CL that risk is somehwat mitigated. It's not rocket science, it's the same for any club.

If we do get in the CL, Spurs will be at risk more than us (Modric/Bale)

I'd take Bale (just to shut LBT up ffs) but not Modric.

Good.

;)

he's at madrid of course he is around 100k iirc, but then he's complaining about getting games so he'll take a cut to get his move (in saying that even with a cut he'd be matching our top earners at best)

Was it last summer he refused a transfer to Spurs because he didn't want to take a pay cut?

Also I can remember when we tried to sign him in the January before Allardyce was sacked and he priced himself out of a move to stay down south.

One thing is certain, we can look forward to the cries of "Where's the Champions League money?" from he who shall not be named next season.

:lol: :lol: or CL money and Europa League money if we come third in our group.

Going from Real Madrid to Newcastle is quite a step down and must be disappointing for a player.

Im very sceptical as to how that motivates as player such as Lass.

You're a total mug you like.

I think this summer will be similar to last year with who comes in, 2 or 3 that will walk into the first team and the same number again that will have the potential to be good squad players that can do a job when called upon. I think we will add a few more youngsters that they think they can develop like Abeid though.

With abeid hopefully developping either further, and Marveaux hovering around the first team as well, midfield depth will be very good.

Defense needs sorted but I really want another striker in just to offer something else from the sidelines when BA/Cisse are off to ACON or even get injured.

For a top-6 team, fielding Shola and Best as our striker pair for several months simply doesnt cut it.

It would be - like Mourinho so eloquently put it in regards to benzema - "Like hunting with a cat"

I'd like to think that Taylor, Marveaux, Vuckic, Abeid, Ferguson, Sammy Ameobi and Gosling will come on next season with at least 4 of those regularly challenging the first 11. Couple of development players and 2 or 3 first teamers will be more than enough. All depends on where we end up really. You put Obertan, Perch, R Taylor, Guthrie, Shola, Best and a few others in there you've got players who can come in and do a job in the EL. I think our squad is deeper than we give it credit and is not that far away from being ready for a go at a lot of second tier European teams you might meet in the first stages of the competition. How many games would we have to play to get to the last 16?

Its not quantity we are lacking, its quality. Alot of the players on that list are players I have limited belief in when it comes to firing us into the EL final stages. Most of them are cameos when we are 2-0 up ideally...