NUFC summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

He has a knee issue, saying he passed his medical with us means fuck all. Everyone knows about his knee.

How much would we get for him if we sold him now then? Why are we desperate to sign a new contract with him?

Because we get fuck all back for him on his current contract which we gave him coming on a free, which again proves my point. We werent that bothered with the resale value since he came cheap ( and we didnt think he would be THIS good either).

He has a clause around 7 million where half of it goes to him leaving us with 3,5 million or so minus fees etc etc.

What a nice resale value.

How many games has he missed this season with a knee problem like?

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why the need to suggest so many signings this summer? The nucleus of the squad is good, it needs enhancing, not replacing. Full backs and a Central Defender are the key positions. After than it's a case of padding out the squad with better choice.

This is it for me, we're 2 defenders short of having a whole starting 11 of what I would describe as top 7 players, keys concentrate on getting those in before we worry about replacing anyone else in the starting 11.

The team needs tweaking now, not massive changes.

Completely misreading the point. Doing it on purpose?

No, it was just a joke remark, but good is a wide-reaching term - he might not be magnificent but he is alot closer to that than most other midfielders in the PL.

25 goals in a season is insane for a CM in a mid-table team no matter how you look at it.

Completely missing my point again, man. I didn't say 29 was too old for a player, it's certainly too old to spunking £15 million on them though. Unless they're established top class. When was the last time Dempsey got 25 goals in a season? Players generally peak earlier these days too IMO, it's closer to 24-28.

Thats kind of my point, he is getting better with age. Or Peaking if you will.

He has been a deep midfielder in this 4-3-3, aye. Jonas and Tiote pressure win the ball back, get it to Cabaye/Ben Arfa to create. Craig is right in that if he was to come in, the only place he's going to fit is out wide or up front, positions where we have, quite frankly, better players tbh.

Not long ago Cabaye was the deep sitting midfielder, now he is more advanced. Point is, its not set in stone - Im sure we could fit him in.

My main view is that he is a better PLAYER than Jonas though, nitpicking aside. As with everything else, up for debate - but statistics this season is heavily proving my point.

How many games has he missed this season with a knee problem like?

None, the gamble paid off. My point is that Demba Ba on his current contract has no resale value, which we were happy with since we got him on a free.

We arent happy anymore obviously because he is too good and his knee is fine but at the time we were, since he came on a free.

Which supports my theory that we CAN be lenient with our "young players with a resale value only" policy if the right opportunity comes along.

I dont see how pointing this out is controversial.

Edited by Lake Bells tits

He has a knee issue, saying he passed his medical with us means fuck all. Everyone knows about his knee.

How much would we get for him if we sold him now then? Why are we desperate to sign a new contract with him?

Because we get fuck all back for him on his current contract which we gave him coming on a free, which again proves my point. We werent that bothered with the resale value since he came cheap ( and we didnt think he would be THIS good either).

He has a clause around 7 million where half of it goes to him leaving us with 3,5 million or so minus fees etc etc.

What a nice resale value.

No.

Firstly he's not 29 like Dempsey, he was 26 and one month when he signed for us.

Secondly you're completely overplaying the knee issue. It was an issue for Stoke City when they pulled out of signing him. It wasn't an issue for West Ham and it wasn't an issue for us further down the track, that's 2 premier league clubs where he passed medicals. He also played half a season in the PL for WHU wiht no problems iirc. You're basically just making it up.

Thirdly he didn't come "cheap"....iirc the club alluded that he wasn't a free transfer in the sense that we had to pay signing on fees, agents fees etc....however he did represent value as he was a proven goal scorer, had settled into the PL and could be prised away from WHU for no transfer fee.

I think you're confusing cheap with value. The club will pay for value, and that means the quality of the player, the cost of hiring him including fees and wages and what they'll get back for him. I don't see what you're getting at with your last paragraph but I'm not arsed really as it has nothing to do with what we're talking about ie the club won't sign players knocking on the door of 30 as they don't represent good value

None, the gamble paid off. My point is that Demba Ba on his current contract has no resale value, which we were happy with since we got him on a free. We arent happy anyone obviously because he is too good and his knee is fine but at the time we were, since he came on a free. Which supports my theory that we CAN be lenient with our "young players with a resale value only" policy if the right opportunity comes along. I dont see how pointing this out is controversial.

Because it's wrong, that's why. You're speculating his knee was an issue at the time he came to us and therefore it was a gamble. I don't think that's right, nobody gambles in that way, the club will have done their homework and a through medical, given the knee issue was known. Plus he was 26 years old at the time. We could sell him when he was 29, to some mug club run by a Norwegian who's happy to pay a fortune in transfer fees and wages to someone who's peaked :)

No.

Firstly he's not 29 like Dempsey, he was 26 and one month when he signed for us.

Secondly you're completely overplaying the knee issue. It was an issue for Stoke City when they pulled out of signing him. It wasn't an issue for West Ham and it wasn't an issue for us further down the track, that's 2 premier league clubs where he passed medicals. He also played half a season in the PL for WHU wiht no problems iirc. You're basically just making it up.

Thirdly he didn't come "cheap"....iirc the club alluded that he wasn't a free transfer in the sense that we had to pay signing on fees, agents fees etc....however he did represent value as he was a proven goal scorer, had settled into the PL and could be prised away from WHU for no transfer fee.

I think you're confusing cheap with value. The club will pay for value, and that means the quality of the player, the cost of hiring him including fees and wages and what they'll get back for him. I don't see what you're getting at with your last paragraph but I'm not arsed really as it has nothing to do with what we're talking about ie the club won't sign players knocking on the door of 30 as they don't represent good value

Agent 2m

Demba 2m

No.

I am making up his knee issue? Ok, seems to have put a few clubs off - but I wont bother arguing about it. The medical condition is one that doesnt cause him to be more prone to knee injury, its just that when the knee goes - its gone. He wont be able to play fotball again, and if there is 3 years left on his contract thats paying for 3 years of golfing in argentina. Nevermind.

You are right, Demba Ba didnt come cheap. He cost us alot of money even on a free. And we were never going to get much back for him with that clause. We got him because we believed him to be a good fotballer.

Which is my point, not everything is RESALE value.

Where we disagree is that 26 is fine and 29 is not.

So the tipping point is somewhere in between? Its murky waters.

* Sigh *

Regarding the knee, I expect the club will have insurance. Regarding resale issue, I haven't seen the so-called clause confirmed anywhere except Harry Redknapp's gob. Even if he were to leave for 7 mill, we'd be getting back the signing on cost and that's the point....we're not pissing money down the drain by signing players on exorbitant fees and wages which we will never get back, so we have to write off their entire transfer fee.

It's quite a simple point but it's bed time for me so you can debate it with someone else. Since Dempsey wouldn't be a free transfer, it's a moot point anyway. Not that I don't think he's a decent player....but he's not the sort we go for these days.

I dont think we disagree really, its just semantics.

I do have one remark though:

that's the point....we're not pissing money down the drain by signing players on exorbitant fees and wages which we will never get back, so we have to write off their entire transfer fee.

What if he performs brilliantly, scores 15 goals and contributes to european fotball next season too. Thats surely a way of paying back also, albeit not in cash ( directly)

There are other ways of repaying us than with cash, on the pitch for instance. I do understand we are wary though, with the history of Owen, Luque etc..

(After a quick check on the website - paste updated)

I had heard that there were plans to redevelop that end (Gallowgate) as it's the only one they can now expand or update as the East stand can't be because of the houses behind.

Edited by south_cheshire_toon

Linked with Jerson Cabral, U21 Feyenoord Winger. Looks insane on the tube, (like most players, granted. so did Obertan :lol: )- but his technique is something else. Looks a right nightmare for any fullback to deal with.

Bit peculiar that Dempsey didnt even get a look-in for player of the year awards. a Fulham midfielder rifling in 23 goals + 7 assists in a season? Spectacular, it was what Lampard used to do except 10 of them was from penalties and 5 from deflected shots.

I guess Fulham isnt enough of a sweetheart team to get nominated from..

We're right justified and we're ancient.... :rap:

ClappingBear.gif

Obertan looked shit on youtube. Someone put together match videos which showed every touch he had in a few games for Man U, and he was thoroughly incompetent.

Fergie has bought a fair amount of shit over the years.

Why would anyone need to watch youtube to find out about Obertan? He was only playing for the biggest club in the world in the best league in the world before signing. It's going to be a long summer if LBT insists that we have 4 page discussions about players that are 'good' but are never going to be transfer targets for the club. Especially if the position they actually play and the position they could play once they're are signed is completely irrelevant to him.

We should sign Arshavin he's good, he could play left back.

We were linked with Jerson Cabral in todays press, supposedly we are leading the race to sign him along with tottenham. I dont see how a youtube video of him in that context is irrelevant. You dont have to watch it you know.

Fergie has bought a fair amount of shit over the years.

Who was the last bargain he bought? Chicarito wasn't too bad but aside from that he's spent big money and not had great returns on it.