NUFC summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah well Senegal doing well in ACON and we are stuck with best and shola upfront for an eternity... we need a better backup strker too..

So you've said plenty of times already today.

I'd like to think that Taylor, Marveaux, Vuckic, Abeid, Ferguson, Sammy Ameobi and Gosling will come on next season with at least 4 of those regularly challenging the first 11. Couple of development players and 2 or 3 first teamers will be more than enough. All depends on where we end up really. You put Obertan, Perch, R Taylor, Guthrie, Shola, Best and a few others in there you've got players who can come in and do a job in the EL. I think our squad is deeper than we give it credit and is not that far away from being ready for a go at a lot of second tier European teams you might meet in the first stages of the competition. How many games would we have to play to get to the last 16?

The squad is fairly deep in the midfield but Best and (up until this year tbf) Shola spend a decent amount of time out injured. There's definite shortages at FB and we could do with some speciality cover rather than the likes of Perch and Ryan Taylor, who have performed admirably there but are more use in the midfield IMO.

i think we are best served going for some help in the back. 1 strong CB that can go straight into the lineup (or fight the spot with Taylor) but has to be miles ahead of Williamson.

I have been reading a lot of posts here in regards to Santon and i just cant stop shaking my head. I remember when Enrique joined and he was developing everyone made fun of him and wnated him out. Look how that turned out. I think he can develop into a very strong back, he may not be quite there but it would be foolish to get someone to block his progress, perhaps we should get someone that is at his current level or slightly better so that we can rotate the squad.

Simpson, another controversial player. Some feel he is good enough and some dont. I think he is very serviceable, should he be a lock into the starting 11? i dont think so, it hink we can and should do better if we want to challenge for europe again. However if we cant find proper players at the right price i wouldnt sweat it to much, Santon may chanllenge him at RB anyway so just 1 outside back should challenge both simpson and snaton; with Perchinho maybe also fighting for a spot. Its not incredible depth but more than we have now.

Like many here i feel the middle is pretty sorted; would definitely be interested in getting another HBA type player for development, not to go into the lineup but just in case we pick up injuries. I feel Obertan has some upside but not to the same extent and we would have to change how we play if we miss HBA for an extended period. SO iw ould go with 1 creative and 1 defensive midfielder, neither has to be better than what we have (tall order, really) but good enough to replace in a pinch. Guthrie could be it but he is not hard to replace, i think we can do better with a transfer.

Up front I think we need 1 more quality starter to come in during ACN or if we pick an injury to the dembas. Honestly Best and shola are not going to get us into europe next year. Also we have to keep in mind tht we will need to rotate the squad so we need to be able to mix in a 3rd striker and not lose much.

to summarize, my shopping list:

1 young GK to challenge Elliot (or replace if he is not ready). I would still keep Harper if he is up for it.

1 CB, must be quality (not overpaid though, i trust the scouting team to find us a young CB)

1 LB to challenge Santon, Santont to challenge Simpson at RB, Perch to challenge them all and offer coverage across the back.

2 midfielders. 1 creative, of the mold of HBA (not as good but must be able to take on defenders with pace and deliver a good pass), 1 defensive midfield to challenge Guthrie and Jonas.

1 striker, must be able to compete with the Dembas, or at least complement them so we can rotate the squad or fill in when injured.

Welcome to the board ZoomVT. Alot of sensible stuff, agree with most of it.

Some people on here feel like Best and Ba are perfectly adequate as backup, but as you say - they will never be more than mid-table strikers and I agree it might cost us europe. MIke is a gambler though so I can see him betting on 2-3 tight wins in the absence to keep head above water.

Edited by Lake Bells tits

I'm curious as to which strikers, who are better than Best & Shola, would be prepared to come and sit on our bench until the ACoN?

A young'un (or two) is what we need.

We'll buy a CB and in addition to being a challenge to Taylor/Williamson he should ideally have potential/be good enough to challenge Colo longer term.

No guarantee Taylor will be back anywhere near how he was playing, a fully ruptured achilles is a VERY bad thing.

A young'un (or two) is what we need.

We'll buy a CB and in addition to being a challenge to Taylor/Williamson he should ideally have potential/be good enough to challenge Colo longer term.

No guarantee Taylor will be back anywhere near how he was playing, a fully ruptured achilles is a VERY bad thing.

I agree, someone like Jordan Rhodes may well be worth a punt, but there is no guarantee with young'uns. He may well turn out to be absolute wank. Best & Shola really aren't that bad, especially as 3rd/4th/5th choice.

Getting in a CB and a LB is much more important I think.

I wonder how much Ashley would sanction being spent if we actually qualified for the CL. Biggest mystery in history like.

Don't forget Everton 'qualified' for the CL back in 2005..... and then lost the qualifier!

I'm curious as to which strikers, who are better than Best & Shola, would be prepared to come and sit on our bench until the ACoN?

Except they wouldnt. They would in addition to a few months during ACON, get plenty of cameos, cup games and if either Ba or Cisse gets injured?

If we learnt anything this year its that your backup quickly becomes your first option.

There is a million miles of difference between our first choice strikers and those behind them in the queue. Too large of a gap in my book.

At least get someone young and promising in at least.

Except they wouldnt. They would in addition to a few months during ACON, get plenty of cameos, cup games and if either Ba or Cisse gets injured?

If we learnt anything this year its that your backup quickly becomes your first option.

There is a million miles of difference between our first choice strikers and those behind them in the queue. Too large of a gap in my book.

At least get someone young and promising in at least.

shouldn't have needed to learn that mind, it's obvious to anyone, but your assessment is correct. We need a good striker, good enough to play in a top team, and let them battle for their places from there. That's what competition is all about, and its how we will progress.

If we sign a young striker it will be someone like Hoilett or Moses that can play up top or out wide in this 4-3-3 formation.

Like them, but not them, right?

We're much more likely to sign someone we've barely heard of from the Dutch league

I'm all for us signing young and promising strikers but they're unknown quantities, I'd be very worried going into the season with them as the only back-up. I cannot see how we're going to get proven quality to come here and play cameos/cover injuries. Shola and Best aren't that bad, in fact some of the former's sub apps have been excellent this season, as well the Man United match performance.

Our priorities must lie elsewhere this summer - CB and LB are necessities.

Like them, but not them, right?

We're much more likely to sign someone we've barely heard of from the Dutch league

It might be them, who knows? We did sign Ba and Obertan in the summer and attempted to buy Mariappa in January so we don't just sign unknown foreign players for the sake of making Graham Carr look good.

"Young cream". You make me sick.

Bit worried this is going to end up as a CT photo-montage. "Young cream" indeed! What next perky wingers? Stiff defenders? The mind boggles. All lovingly photographed with his © cucumbers I shouldn't wonder...

Edited by Park Life

Bit worried this is going to end up as a CT photo-montage. "Young cream" indeed! What next perky wingers? Stiff defenders? The mind boggles. All lovingly photographed with his © cucumbers I shouldn't wonder...

Gonzo goalies.

It might be them, who knows? We did sign Ba and Obertan in the summer and attempted to buy Mariappa in January so we don't just sign unknown foreign players for the sake of making Graham Carr look good.

I suppose, I just think that Obertan was a Pardew signing and the Mariappa bid was as a direct result of Taylor's injury. I mean that we'd not have entertained him if it weren't for our sudden crisis, our targets were always Douglas and Vertoghen (sp?) who were not available at that time for a myriad of reasons. I'll give you Ba though.

fwiw I don't think Moses and Hoillet fit the personality of the squad. They reek of the Billy Big Time wankers we've purged from the squad.