NUFC summer transfer activity thread

Baggio

I think Kalou is a no go to be honest. Free agent and will want big wages, He seems to of had a big offer from Shalke anyway.

36 goals in 156 apps..Rather keep Shola with stats like that.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Kalou is a no go to be honest. Free agent and will want big wages, He seems to of had a big offer from Shalke anyway.

the number of those appearances that were as a sub is staggering though

the number of those appearances that were as a sub is staggering though

Yeah I did think that when I posted it but still..He hasn't become the world beater that was banded around when Jose Mourinho signed him. He will want upwards of 70k a week and I don't think we will sign him.

If he's up for the challenge of becoming a first team player then NUFC would be the perfect club for him. He's a good player, but there's a sense that a few years on the Chelski sub's bench on a massive wage could have destroyed his appetite for the game.

For that reason I don't think we'll be after him, unless Tiote has something good to say about him.

Some quotes:

"Would you agree with the consensus that you're better than a Nissan Micra?"

"BEEP"

"You've been a car now for several years, what are your general feelings about the state of the motor industry?"

"BEEP BEEP"

Ok ok, Carr :lol:

I know, like I said it was talksport.

Think he's a pretty decent player, those stats are a bit misleading. For reasons others have already stated we're probably not interested though.

Kalou's not an out an out striker either so those goalscoring stats are a bit irrelevant. I think he's a decent player who on a free could be a good bit of business but I really think the days of us going for players like him are over. We've took players like him from clubs playing at the top end of european football in the past and they just don't seem to have the appetite to come in and do well for us. We seem much more set on getting hungry players on the way up now which is definitely a good thing. Of course it does make it likely that if they do well for us, someone with more money and a trophy challenge will come in for them and we'll sell but without megabucks that's just par for the course.

Sick to death of every pundit talking up Cabaye. Please god let him have a shitter against us, score an own goal and get sent off.

That has been annoying me lately, every journo and pundit seem to be trying to sell our squad.

Kalou's not an out an out striker either so those goalscoring stats are a bit irrelevant. I think he's a decent player who on a free could be a good bit of business but I really think the days of us going for players like him are over. We've took players like him from clubs playing at the top end of european football in the past and they just don't seem to have the appetite to come in and do well for us. We seem much more set on getting hungry players on the way up now which is definitely a good thing. Of course it does make it likely that if they do well for us, someone with more money and a trophy challenge will come in for them and we'll sell but without megabucks that's just par for the course.

Aye, agree with this. He's a very good player, good technique + work rate as well as lightening pace sometimes his decision making is a bit poor but overall would be a good player for us. The big if is what you've said though, would he have the appetite to perform for us after winning everything at Chelsea. The 70k a week wages are a stumbling block but as he's on a free the extra 20k a week over our cap would work out at just over £5m over a 5 year deal so I suppose if they rated Kalou as a £5m-£5.5m player it'd be a canny enough deal, not sure it'd be worth it unless we could somehow be assured he'd give it a go with us.

Like mentioned in all the poor goals to games rate is due to the high amount of sub appearances as well as being played down the wings most the time, again if he had the desire he'd be a good option down the wing in 4-4-2 or even as back up to Ba or Ben Arfa in the 4-3-3.

That has been annoying me lately, every journo and pundit seem to be trying to sell our squad.

:lol: It's ridiculous isn't it, basically every player in our squad has been linked away even Best etc. I even saw a mackem listing players we'd 'definitely' be selling and proceeded to list 9 of the starting 11, when does that ever happen? short of some administration situation.

If we have one player on 70k--a guy who wouldn't even be the best performer in the squad--what are we to expect the rest of the squad to do? They'll be banging on the door with their agents for a payrise.

Aye that is another problem that would arise, it could be explained to them that he was on a free but I'm sure that would fall on deaf ears. Cabaye, Tiote, Colo, Ba, Cisse, Ben Arfa etc would all be a bit miffed. Unless we could work out some sort of 50k a week with added bonus deal that wouldn't upset others it's a non starter.

I thought colo was on about 80k

I think he was but I thought I heard something about him taking a wage cut down to 50k with his new contract, not sure of that mind.

To he fair to Kalou the fact he's prepared to walk out on the European champions for more first team football tells me he's got drive about him to do well somewhere else.

You could get over the wage difference by giving him a decent signing on fee too.

Talksport and the Mail seem to think we're going to sign Anita from Ajax.

The Mail say the club had a meeting today and have picked him as one of our top targets.

Anita not long signed contract extension so will cost a lot

Unless there's a release clause for English clubs?