Newcastle United v Stoke City

Christmas Tree

One of Pardew's main tenets seems to be "settling" for a lead and trying to see it out - I think at our current "level" (even if we finish third) it's not a bad approach.

I think if we do continue to progress, then we can think about being more ruthless when the opportunity arises.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost 90 mins of complete controlling football, lovely to watch and combined with hard work and graft from all 11 players. At 3-0 up near the end Ben Arfa was still chasing back and winning balls in the fullback position despite the fact he was roaming around the pitch in attack, summed up the team ethic for me, and summed up how Ben Arfa is doing now.

Krul needen't have turned up which is nice, Cabaye was outstanding, Ben Arfa unplayable and Ba despite being desperate for a goal continues to put the team first and looks for the pass even though a shot is on which speaks volumes.

And when Pardew made a sub, Perch comes on and fist touch is to save a goal, it was one of those days, and Perch followed that with another accomplished display, i'm sure Pardew has swapped him for a different player as in this recent run of games he's played you have to say he's been impressive and has earned a crack at staying here next season to see what he does.

Going to get stick for this -

Stick it up yer arse.

Stick it in yer ear.

Stick it in yer gob.

Stick it wherever.

Opportunities should always be hysterically taken. :rolleyes:

Almost 90 mins of complete controlling football, lovely to watch and combined with hard work and graft from all 11 players. At 3-0 up near the end Ben Arfa was still chasing back and winning balls in the fullback position despite the fact he was roaming around the pitch in attack, summed up the team ethic for me, and summed up how Ben Arfa is doing now.

Krul needen't have turned up which is nice, Cabaye was outstanding, Ben Arfa unplayable and Ba despite being desperate for a goal continues to put the team first and looks for the pass even though a shot is on which speaks volumes.

And when Pardew made a sub, Perch comes on and fist touch is to save a goal, it was one of those days, and Perch followed that with another accomplished display, i'm sure Pardew has swapped him for a different player as in this recent run of games he's played you have to say he's been impressive and has earned a crack at staying here next season to see what he does.

Regards Perch, he has been brilliant recently, a great ball winner & when he has excelled in that role he's also looked decent passing it about and even got the odd shot away!

If he can keep up his performance doing the simple things I wouldn't want to lose him!

One other thing struck me about yesterdays performance, over and above it's completeness was that the team at times played with a real swagger, I haven't seen that in a Newcastle team in ages.

Something I noticed while watching is that for every one of his goals he's scored this season (bar the one against Blackburn in the cup) Cabaye has sprinted over to the support right after. I get the feeling Yohan genuinely loves the city and the club, and will be here for quite some time. Really refreshing to see.

One of Pardew's main tenets seems to be "settling" for a lead and trying to see it out - I think at our current "level" (even if we finish third) it's not a bad approach.

I think if we do continue to progress, then we can think about being more ruthless when the opportunity arises.

Aye, we seem to be getting better at it as well. Get a could lead and then move to almost a more counter attack game.

Even after 3-0 up we had chances to double it.

The way in which we can swarm forward is fantastic and tbf the sort of team and style of play Pardew promised us at the end of last season.

I don't particularly like the comparison with "the entertainers" because it is both unfair to that team and this one. But who would have thought Pardew would put together a team playing like this.

Quality, quality stuff.

Aye, we seem to be getting better at it as well. Get a could lead and then move to almost a more counter attack game.

Even after 3-0 up we had chances to double it.

The way in which we can swarm forward is fantastic and tbf the sort of team and style of play Pardew promised us at the end of last season.

I don't particularly like the comparison with "the entertainers" because it is both unfair to that team and this one. But who would have thought Pardew would put together a team playing like this.

Quality, quality stuff.

For all the quality going forward I LOVE the way the back four (or six if you prefer, with 2 interchangeable DM covering) are playing. Always maintained a back four is greater than the sum of it's parts, we've got one bit class and three parts so-so ( although on yesterdays performance Santon gets elavated towards class), the system he's got them playing is excellent.

Saw the game on Football First in the end as it happens and we certainly tried for another goal or two, no settling yesterday. No setlling for a lead against West Ham last season either, or Wolves.

My problem with settling for a lead can be summed up by one game - Wolves (h).

For all the quality going forward I LOVE the way the back four (or six if you prefer, with 2 interchangeable DM covering) are playing. Always maintained a back four is greater than the sum of it's parts, we've got one bit class and three parts so-so ( although on yesterdays performance Santon gets elavated towards class), the system he's got them playing is excellent.

I know Colo is well thought of here but in general I dont think many people realize just how good he is. By far the most comfortable defender on the ball in this league and one of those players who makes everyone else around him seem better than they are.

Santon was something else yesterday as well.

in fairness none of us thought this at the time and agreed with enrique,

Speak for yourself ;)

Admittedly never thought top four mind, but was more than happy with the "direction"

in fairness none of us thought this at the time and agreed with enrique,

Don't disagree, but if you come out with the stuff he did it's only natural that it will get chucked back at you.

Sounds very good at the match anyway.

I know Colo is well thought of here but in general I dont think many people realize just how good he is. By far the most comfortable defender on the ball in this league and one of those players who makes everyone else around him seem better than they are.

Just like the "great" Arsenal back fours, Adams was "the rock" the rest were mainly avaerage (but played above themselves) but Adams was the standout/glue/class.

Aye it's the little tricks Coloccini can do as well such as when he's in a tight corner he can move his feet very quickly, not panic and play the ball out.

His back heel tackle on the right of the box had everyone cheering.

Can't fault anyone yesterday, we just purred.