If we finish in the top 4.....

Dr Gloom

I already explained that the app I'm using doesn't allow me to ignore you. Anyone would think you were trying to support my assertion.

so you are ignoring me but you aren't :lol:

clever lad.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When all's said and done it's gratifying to see Leazes looking to the future and the permutations of European football next season (whichever guise it may yet take), instead of tearing himself apart over his numerous flawed predictions for this year. As a mature poster, he's been able to admit he's been wrong and therefore that internal conflict at least should now be at an end for him, meaning we can all look forward to some more sensible output as a result.

Good man.

When all's said and done it's gratifying to see Leazes looking to the future and the permutations of European football next season (whichever guise it may yet take), instead of tearing himself apart over his numerous flawed predictions for this year. As a mature poster, he's been able to admit he's been wrong and therefore that internal conflict at least should now be at an end for him, meaning we can all look forward to some more sensible output as a result.

Good man.

tumblr_m1ceiunrPY1qlkly8.gif

Good man.

nice to see mancmag, like his chum Gemma, ignoring me like they say they are doing :lol:

Would be canny to see him [or his mate] actually reply to the numerous requests to be mature enough and say exactly what he thinks is "shit" from the post I made which summarised everything he has said is "shit" for the last 5 years.

Don't expect him to have the balls to do it though, never mind ignoring me like he says he is doing. Just like his mate.

Obsessed, totally and completely obsessed.

Poor lad.

Edited by LeazesMag

It's not difficult, thick fuck.

see my post just made to your mate, shitforbrains.

Please tell us who is holding a gun to your head and forcing to read and reply to me.

Thick, stupid arsehole.

Edited by LeazesMag

Have you seen the title odds for next year?

Liverpool 18/1

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I had the money, I'd happily lay that for tens of thousands at Betfair.

it was only a matter of time before someone mentioned the Halls and Shepherd, although mancmag doesn't refer to them by name when he makes his stupid insinuations that anybody but the players and manager are responsible for losing 2 FA Cup Finals against the Champions, and missing penalties in a Champions League decider, etc etc, and any other big games that they actually qualified for in the first place. Any old stick to beat them with.

They also appointed Keegan and Bobby Robson , who gave the club everything in terms of effort, committment and results for the vast majority of the time they owned the club, but obviously they don't count.

That manager you spoke about, with his previous club, won the FA Cup and they were in the quarter final of the Champions League and were 3rd in the premiership. He respected the club so much he waived his pay off too when he walked out/resigned/sacked [whatever really happened], and the vast majority were very happy with this appointment at the time, a lot more than Joe Kinnear in fact.

Let’s put this in context though Leazes. I’m paraphrasing here but the jist of what you said yesterday was that it was up to the manager to command respect for the club from the players (something I’d certainly agree with). And clearly it is the board who chooses the manager. However, in the case of Gullit, they employed someone who for whatever reason refused to live in even the same country as the team he managed. How then is he supposed to get the players to respect the club? Were you happy with his living arrangements at the time and would you condone that now? Were you remotely surprised he lost the players after what happened at Chelsea?

I don’t care if people thought he was a good appointment at the time. If they had checked their facts maybe they would have realized he had lost the Chelsea boot room which is what my fears were at the time. However, it’s not up to me, you, or any fan to pick the manager, it’s down to the board. It’s their principal function and one, especially in NUFC’s case in this period, they are paid a fortune to get right.

Now this is where we disagree and always have. I maintain that they were derelict in their primary duty. Yes, Keegan was inspired, but since then their managerial appointments were all poor, often without the benefit of hindsight. Robson was another exception but come on, that was an absolute no brainer. So we had Dalglish (rubbish in hindsight and sacked at a ludicrous time), Gullit (rubbish with foresight imo), Souness (utter shit with foresight and employed at a ludicrous time), Roeder (only fit as a caretaker, no hindsight needed), and Allardyce (rubbish with foresight). So out of 7 managers, only two were decent, and one of those was an obvious appointment who was treated shambolically. This why I don’t rate the board anywhere nearly as highly as you did - clearly you thought their managerial appointments were at least acceptable and their timings were ok as well. But as I said you know we're never going to agree on this.

And yes, I am discussing the old board as the discussion was about players from that era yesterday, and how the present group of players compare. JFK trumps the lot of those managers in shitness, I accept that. But at the same time, you should give credit where it’s due for Hughton and Pardew, and, by token, the person who appointed them. I still hate the twat because of the ground name change btw, but its hard not to get excited by this team which is miles better than anything the last board managed in their last few years.

Let’s put this in context though Leazes. I’m paraphrasing here but the jist of what you said yesterday was that it was up to the manager to command respect for the club from the players (something I’d certainly agree with). And clearly it is the board who chooses the manager. However, in the case of Gullit, they employed someone who for whatever reason refused to live in even the same country as the team he managed. How then is he supposed to get the players to respect the club? Were you happy with his living arrangements at the time and would you condone that now? Were you remotely surprised he lost the players after what happened at Chelsea?

I don’t care if people thought he was a good appointment at the time. If they had checked their facts maybe they would have realized he had lost the Chelsea boot room which is what my fears were at the time. However, it’s not up to me, you, or any fan to pick the manager, it’s down to the board. It’s their principal function and one, especially in NUFC’s case in this period, they are paid a fortune to get right.

Now this is where we disagree and always have. I maintain that they were derelict in their primary duty. Yes, Keegan was inspired, but since then their managerial appointments were all poor, often without the benefit of hindsight. Robson was another exception but come on, that was an absolute no brainer. So we had Dalglish (rubbish in hindsight and sacked at a ludicrous time), Gullit (rubbish with foresight imo), Souness (utter shit with foresight and employed at a ludicrous time), Roeder (only fit as a caretaker, no hindsight needed), and Allardyce (rubbish with foresight). So out of 7 managers, only two were decent, and one of those was an obvious appointment who was treated shambolically. This why I don’t rate the board anywhere nearly as highly as you did - clearly you thought their managerial appointments were at least acceptable and their timings were ok as well. But as I said you know we're never going to agree on this.

And yes, I am discussing the old board as the discussion was about players from that era yesterday, and how the present group of players compare. JFK trumps the lot of those managers in shitness, I accept that. But at the same time, you should give credit where it’s due for Hughton and Pardew, and, by token, the person who appointed them. I still hate the twat because of the ground name change btw, but its hard not to get excited by this team which is miles better than anything the last board managed in their last few years.

Fair and well balanced comment.

agree with every word of that.

Yeah good post, Rention.

For me the thing Leazes consistently gets wrong is this notion that if the fans thought (an appointment) was a good idea at the time, the board were therefore automatically right to have made it. It's a complete nonsense of course. For one, fans are complete idiots. Leazes himself is a superb individual example of this, but the collective one I always cite is Man U fans wanting rid of Ferguson on two separate occasions. Just before the Cup Winners Cup and just after losing the title to Leeds) There was a complete groundswell for him to go, but the board showed foresight, told the fans to go and fuck themselves, they were backing their man. The rest is history as we know. Man U's fans have benefited from being ignored by their board ever since. This epitomises the importance of a strong board.

Just as Keegan was a superb appointment by S&H the first time around, they take the entire credit for this. Conversely, the fans take none of the credit whatever, even if it's fair to say pretty much every Newcastle fan on the face of the earth approved of the appointment. It's an irrelevance to the appointment itself.

That's why when Shepherd appointed Roeder on the basis that he was "giving in to fan pressure" you knew that by that stage we had the exact opposite of a strong board and all that it needs to be. That's quite apart from the fact he was just being a big fat liar and making it up as he went along by that stage anyway.

I'm encouraged by Leazes' recent about turn and I'm glad he's finally thrown his hands up and admitted to his innumerable flawed predictions, it shows maturity that's sadly been lacking these last five years or more, but I'd like to see him deal with this final stage of his rehabilitation.

A board needs to have foresight. It needs to set standards. It needs to be more insightful than it's fans. It needs to demand absolute commitment from it's servants.

Renton's post is the right balance for me. A large number of S&H's appointments were a shambles. They were getting increasingly rancid. Ashley probably takes the prize for most horrendous individual appointment of all, but now they're showing better thinking and a progression that you can chart. That seems to have occurred against a backdrop of proactive rather than reactive player recruitment, and a unified policy in the marketplace, meaning we don't get landed with dickheads looking for a gravy train to line their retirement nest while having nothing but contempt for the club. In a single sentence, it's about learning from your mistakes rather than repeating your mistakes.

And that is something Leazes would benefit from more than most.

I'm pleased you refer to the term "relative", because that is exactly how I present most of my replies to posts like this. I'm not saying I disagree with what you say about Gullit, I had reservations myself and said so at the time, concerning his "sexy football" bollocks - although I can quote his record at Chelsea which was very good by any standards, I think he was greeted by supporters for all the wrong reasons, the only thing that matter in football is winning, and although this "sexy football" is irrelevant in my eyes, he had still been a winner and was appointed for that reason too, the same reason as Dalglish in fact.

Hindsight is easy, but at the time, that is why both those people were given the job and it is difficult to argue with the fact that they were both at the time top drawer appointments.

Where "relative" comes in, is when people quote one incident, one player, a small period out of the 15 years, and paint it as representative of the whole of that time. The simple fact is NOBODY appoints a successful manager every time, the attitude to have is that when you realise it is not right, get rid and retain the ambitions and go again. For the vast majority of those 15 years, the club was "relatively" successful, certainly the most since the 1950's by a mile over that period as a whole - people who cherry pick because they are looking for something, or anything, however small or against the norm, to discredit them with, are just showing how ignorant and stupid they are, in my eyes.

It's similar to this season. Hand on heart, every single person on here and every single person I know, never expected this in a million years, which tells you something. Or ought to. You know, I know, everybody knows what needs to be done now to move "further forward". These threads on here are now full of people fantasising about who we are going to sign, just like they used to be. My point is, and always has been, that these sort of expectations and ambitions are not shared by the owner, who will be happy to survive and promote the Sports Company, and make a proftit - selling a player if one is not achieved operationally on its own merit. He is a retailer by instinct, every player has a price, and he will be happy to scout around looking for cheaper replacements, this has always been the mentality and it is still the mentality. Anybody with an ounce of common sense knows that this partcular approach cannot be sustained and result in longer term high league positions and "progress" as such. This has been my point for all these years, it is inferior to the approach of the old owners and as such can never match them on a longer term basis.

@ Leazes. On an iPhone so will be brief.

How is 5/7 managers cherry picking? Surely you are at least as guilty of this. The years of decline since Robson was disgracefully dismissed seriously seem to have passed you by.

Regarding your last paragraph, we'll see. But you certainly haven't been proved right yet, and fwiw you really should be less entrenched in yor views imo.

Yeah good post, Rention.

For me the thing Leazes consistently gets wrong is this notion that if the fans thought (an appointment) was a good idea at the time, the board were therefore automatically right to have made it. It's a complete nonsense of course. For one, fans are complete idiots. Leazes himself is a superb individual example of this, but the collective one I always cite is Man U fans wanting rid of Ferguson on two separate occasions. Just before the Cup Winners Cup and just after losing the title to Leeds) There was a complete groundswell for him to go, but the board showed foresight, told the fans to go and fuck themselves, they were backing their man. The rest is history as we know. Man U's fans have benefited from being ignored by their board ever since. This epitomises the importance of a strong board.

Just as Keegan was a superb appointment by S&H the first time around, they take the entire credit for this. Conversely, the fans take none of the credit whatever, even if it's fair to say pretty much every Newcastle fan on the face of the earth approved of the appointment. It's an irrelevance to the appointment itself.

That's why when Shepherd appointed Roeder on the basis that he was "giving in to fan pressure" you knew that by that stage we had the exact opposite of a strong board and all that it needs to be. That's quite apart from the fact he was just being a big fat liar and making it up as he went along by that stage anyway.

I'm encouraged by Leazes' recent about turn and I'm glad he's finally thrown his hands up and admitted to his innumerable flawed predictions, it shows maturity that's sadly been lacking these last five years or more, but I'd like to see him deal with this final stage of his rehabilitation.

A board needs to have foresight. It needs to set standards. It needs to be more insightful than it's fans. It needs to demand absolute commitment from it's servants.

Renton's post is the right balance for me. A large number of S&H's appointments were a shambles. They were getting increasingly rancid. Ashley probably takes the prize for most horrendous individual appointment of all, but now they're showing better thinking and a progression that you can chart. That seems to have occurred against a backdrop of proactive rather than reactive player recruitment, and a unified policy in the marketplace, meaning we don't get landed with dickheads looking for a gravy train to line their retirement nest while having nothing but contempt for the club. In a single sentence, it's about learning from your mistakes rather than repeating your mistakes.

And that is something Leazes would benefit from more than most.

why don't you comment on my reply to Renton, and tell us what you think is so rubbish about what I've said for years which I've summarised again ? As you have ignored the last time I did it on numerous occasions ? Go on, show some balls for a change and do it.

FWIW, I haven't done any u-turn, I've explained why, unlike you I'm not fooled by a period when we have got lucky, I've enjoyed it just like everyone else. Only a big tart can't admit when things don't go the way you say, you should take note of that.

I remember you saying in the past, harping on about "planning" etc, and that Villa were right to appoint O'Neill and give him that long contract because it was a "plan" which we never had, although in the end, this "plan" got nowhere near the regime you were castigating and now say they "commanded no respect from the players". So please tell us, who did the best there too ?

Bet you don't. You're an utter mong, and as Gene Clark said, a foolish coward with no balls. You say nothing, you have no views,all you do is summarise later and make out you're a smartarse, when in actual fact you are a waste of time with your head up your arse.

Edited by LeazesMag

How is 5/7 managers cherry picking? Surely you are at least as guilty of this. The years of decline since Robson was disgracefully dismissed seriously seem to have passed you by.

Regarding your last paragraph, we'll see. But you certainly haven't been proved right yet, and fwiw you really should be less entrenched in yor views imo.

I think one good season in 5 years certainly doesn't prove I'm wrong just yet. I've made a judgement on the mentality inside the club based on their actions, and I'm sticking to it. I said replacing the last regime with better would be more difficult than people thought, and so far after 5 years, that is bang on, they need to do a lot more yet to better those 15 years. They might do it if they continue what they did in January ie keeping their best players and bringing in quality to add to it, but they certainly won't if they start selling top players again and witholding the cash from the manager and not backing him.

Edited by LeazesMag

most people accepted Bobby Robson needed to be replaced at the time. I've said the facts behind the appointment of 2 of those managers, they were both winners and considered to be top drawer appointments at the time. Roeder and Allardyce both had people for and against them, Roeder finished 7th. Souness too was backed by lots of people, including Gemmill right to the very end.

The point is, as I said, these managers didn't meet the expectations and demands, which were european football at a minumum, so were replaced. Even so called supporters booed the team for only finishing 5th....Mike Ashley won't have those sort of demands, they have gone downwards. Their lower expectations stand out and are obvious to a blind man.

Edited by LeazesMag

I would like to join manc-mag in congratulating Leazes on his recent u-turn. It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong and I think its encouraging that he's stood up and made this admission.

I'm pleased you refer to the term "relative", because that is exactly how I present most of my replies to posts like this. I'm not saying I disagree with what you say about Gullit, I had reservations myself and said so at the time, concerning his "sexy football" bollocks - although I can quote his record at Chelsea which was very good by any standards, I think he was greeted by supporters for all the wrong reasons, the only thing that matter in football is winning, and although this "sexy football" is irrelevant in my eyes, he had still been a winner and was appointed for that reason too, the same reason as Dalglish in fact.

Hindsight is easy, but at the time, that is why both those people were given the job and it is difficult to argue with the fact that they were both at the time top drawer appointments.

Where "relative" comes in, is when people quote one incident, one player, a small period out of the 15 years, and paint it as representative of the whole of that time. The simple fact is NOBODY appoints a successful manager every time, the attitude to have is that when you realise it is not right, get rid and retain the ambitions and go again. For the vast majority of those 15 years, the club was "relatively" successful, certainly the most since the 1950's by a mile over that period as a whole - people who cherry pick because they are looking for something, or anything, however small or against the norm, to discredit them with, are just showing how ignorant and stupid they are, in my eyes.

It's similar to this season. Hand on heart, every single person on here and every single person I know, never expected this in a million years, which tells you something. Or ought to. You know, I know, everybody knows what needs to be done now to move "further forward". These threads on here are now full of people fantasising about who we are going to sign, just like they used to be. My point is, and always has been, that these sort of expectations and ambitions are not shared by the owner, who will be happy to survive and promote the Sports Company, and make a proftit - selling a player if one is not achieved operationally on its own merit. He is a retailer by instinct, every player has a price, and he will be happy to scout around looking for cheaper replacements, this has always been the mentality and it is still the mentality. Anybody with an ounce of common sense knows that this partcular approach cannot be sustained and result in longer term high league positions and "progress" as such. This has been my point for all these years, it is inferior to the approach of the old owners and as such can never match them on a longer term basis.

It is fundamentaly superior approach, simply because of its absolute sustainability.

You are, as ever, fundamentaly wrong.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I had the money, I'd happily lay that for tens of thousands at Betfair.

Goes to show how many daft scousers will keep betting on Liverpool if the bookies are keeping their odds that low. No basis in reality whatsoever.

Mind, I had a cheeky £1 on Newcastle :lol: cheeky not to at that price.

It is fundamentaly superior approach, simply because of its absolute sustainability. You are, as ever, fundamentaly wrong.

Don't see why you're arguing.

Leazes is fundamentally right in that we won't challenge for the title like this. That's all he's interested in.

You're fundamentally right that we won't get debt free by chasing titles.

If someone had said at the start of the season would you take 4th from bottom, I would of said yes!

I could not see where the goals were coming from, Ba had just joined us from a relegated West Ham, Ameobi is hit & miss, Lovenkrands is there to fill the gaps same could be said of Best, with the fine form of Ba, Tiote, Cabaye, Colocinni Ben Arfa (of late) and the arrival of Cisse this has been a season to really enjoy not only are we playing as a team but at times like last week against Stoke the football has been a joy to watch.

Having said all that next season we will be expecting to qualify for Europe and thats when it can get very difficult to repeat the relative success of this season.