Living in London

Kevin S. Assilleekunt

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many of you live, or have lived, in the capital? How do you rate it? I'm going to be moving there, probably within the next 3 months. Interested in your thoughts, London dwellers.

All depends where you live Ringo. If you're studying and get in halls it will be cushty.

My girlfriend has lived there a couple months now and is loving it. She's pretty near to Meenz down Stoke Newington Way which hasn't put her off. Lovely area and plenty of buzz. She's in halls and it's a pretty great social scene. Can't say I'd like to live in London for an extended period myself, but it's great for a visit.

Whereabouts are you going to be based?

My girlfriend has lived there a couple months now and is loving it. She's pretty near to Meenz down Stoke Newington Way which hasn't put her off. Lovely area and plenty of buzz. She's in halls and it's a pretty great social scene. Can't say I'd like to live in London for an extended period myself, but it's great for a visit.

Stoke Newington is a nightmare tho. :lol:

Going to be based in central London, got a shit job lined up in Enfield to get me started.

There's some stuff in here that might be of use:

http://www.toontasti...514-whitechapel

Broadly speaking I like living here, for all it's a total rip-off. There's always tons of stuff happening and lots of my friends are down here these days too. Never thought I'd warm to the place, but you get a massively different insight into it once you're a resident and not just a visitor. Can't imagine growing old here, but for now it's canny enough.

Edited by Meenzer

There's some stuff in here that might be of use:

http://www.toontasti...514-whitechapel

Broadly speaking I like living here, for all it's a total rip-off. There's always tons of stuff happening and lots of my friends are down here these days too. Never thought I'd warm to the place, but you get a massively different insight into it once you're a resident and not just a visitor. Can't imagine growing old here, but for now it's canny enough.

That's the thread to look at, but there's plenty of people on here who could give you some advice if you cross their palms with silver.

Lived there for a decade but I was a lah di dah primrose hill type. Lived in Belsize Park for most of it. A lot of people ask me to compare living in Paris and London as I've lived in both for long periods of time. I'd say London is where want to be in your 20s and early 30s, it's got the best nightlife in the world and I include NYC in that. You don't exactly strike me as the raving type though so not sure if that's a big plus for you. As for the working life question, then London is full of opportunities for eager young people keen to make their mark, better than some shithole in the arse end of the north west at any rate.

The key to settling is finding good cheap accommodation in a location that suits you. This is a big challenge so good luck with that.

Moved down here 12 years ago. Always thought I'd return home. Never did and can't see myself leaving now. This city has everything you could possibly want, bar sunshine. Honestly, if London had the climate of Barcelona I'd say it would be a contender for best city on the planet.

Stoke Newington is a nightmare tho. :lol:

Stokey , as it's known by the hipsters these days and Dalston are up and coming - think shoreditch 10 years ago before the rents sky rocketed. Pretty cool place to live in terms of bars, restaurants and easy access to ec1

Stokey , as it's known by the hipsters these days and Dalston are up and coming - think shoreditch 10 years ago before the rents sky rocketed. Pretty cool place to live in terms of bars, restaurants and easy access to ec1

Your jean tightness to plunging neckline ratio will either make or break you out east!

Edited by angrysteve

I lived there for 6 weeks when I was younger, but came home missed the toon too much. Since then I've probably spent over a year of my life in London in total with work and visiting me sister, and I can honestly say I can't imagine anything worse than living there full time. Depends what sort of person you are, the people in general, not all, just aren't as friendly, stress written over everyones face, travel is a nightmare, the tubes are dirty, you encounter many rude people, and whether people admit this or not, there's a MASSIVE superiority complex over Northerners. That said I have a number of people in London and the South East I would class as friends and many of them would agree with what I'm saying. Having said all of that if I lived in the North West I'd probably move to London.

One thing I will say about London though is by hook or by crook it's MUCH warmer than up here. In summer the temperatures in London can be like living in Spain, and it's mint for bars and what not. There's some absolutely beautiful places to live in London too, really gorgeous but living there and having a really good life is dependent on being really wealthy, it's a rat race if you're not. I loved it when I was younger more than I do now.

Dalston is an absolute wreck.

'Stokey' is a nice green area of london though (terrain-wise as the whole city is one massive smog belch), especially when the weather's decent. As you say, there's quite the bohemian hipster population creeping in. I'd imagine it's because it's become quite studenty given its proximity to the uni.

I have a soft spot for Green Lanes, some cracking restaurants there if you feel like delving in obesity once in awhile!

I had about 4 months there a few years ago. Thought it great at first but suddenly got bored of it very quickly and would've gotten bored even more quickly had I not been borrrrrsting this right saucy little minx arl owa.

I remember finding it very depressing having lots of expensive shops, restaurants & residences in walking distance but was unable to afford them. Also the locals' crack was shit.

Spent about 18 months all told working there, lived in Tottenham and Hackney, worked ironically just north of the now uber hip Hoxton/Shoreditch area. The thought of them being romotely desireable as places to live looking back at what they were like around 96/97 frankly makes me laugh. We used to go to a boozer sometimes (might have been called the eagle) in Shoreditch to watch a 40 something stripper with caesarian scars pass a tin around for pound coins after her err "act". This was undoubtedly the cultural highlight of the area. I hear its changed a bit now mind.

I fucking hate the place and never go back. Its enforced anonymity and engendered aggression alter your personality. It's psychologically corrosive, filthy and ridiculously expensive. People go there to get rich and feed their egos.

I had a fantastic time though, in between. Piling from one party to the next indoors, outdoors, legal, illegal, extralegal. Quality drugs on the whole.

I think everyone should go live in the capital city of their country for a few years, see what it's all about, but don't lose sight of what you're all about in the process.

Good luck KSA, I look forward to the televised siege of your fellatic compound.

Edited by trophyshy

I fucking hate the place and never go back. Its enforced anonymity and engendered aggression alter your personality. It's psychologically corrosive, filthy and ridiculously expensive. People go there to get rich and feed their egos.

I had a fantastic time though, in between. Piling from one part to the next indoors, outdoors, legal, illegal, extralegal. Quality drugs on the whole.

I think everyone should go live in the capital city of their country for a few years, see what it's all about, but don't lose sight of what you're all about in the process.

Good luck KSA, I look forward to the televised siege of your fellatic compound.

Best toot I've ever had was in London, am nee Mick Jagger on the front like, but it was belta. No come down.

Stop derailing the thread and answer my simple question, Gremmill.

I'm going to be living in a hostel when I first go down; my plan is to work for the hostel on top of my shit job in exchange for reduced/free rent. I'm not fussed about night life at all apart from live music. I think my accomodation will probably strike most as unlivable from the comments, but for me, living in privation is a good motivator and a good lesson. My intentions are just to experience life in the capital and to try and wrangle my way into a better job. I assume that I will get mugged, I tend to wear a shirt and trousers now, so that will make me a target. Unfortunately I have nothing to rob, so the situation will probably descend into some form of sexual assault or murder. Hopefully this doesn't happen too regularly. I wanted to start jiu jitsu classes, but there is no access in my area to lessons, no doubt there will be plenty in London.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

There are basically 3 groups that have a laugh in London...Those earning more than 100k, students with parental money and hot chicks under 30. For everyone else it is the most unimagineable savagery known to man. With your 'shit' job you'll be living in a bedsit if it's anywhere near the center or decent area, that will cost you a fair whack as well. The 'shared house' will be populated by various cunts who will eat all your food you naively left in the fridge and once they find out you like 'writing' they will take everything in your room when you go out.

Go to London! I guarantee you'll either be mugged or not appreciated. Catch the train to London, stopping at Rejection, Disappointment, Backstabbing Central and Shattered Dreams Parkway.