Living in London

Kevin S. Assilleekunt

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't be put off by some of the comments KSA. if you're up for grafting and partying hard then moving to the capital will be a quality experience.

the streets really are paved with gold. jobs paying £30-100k+ grow on trees down here if you're bright, which you obviously are, and work hard.

they're not being handed out in quite the way they were a few years back, granted, but if you're going to get good work anywhere in the country, then this is the town to be.

on the social side, it's got it all. you won't know where to start if you're a culture vulture. you mentioned you're not a raver, which is a shame as there are clubs here to cater for all tastes, but on the gig side, you're spoiled for choice too. superb bars too. so many free houses.

plus there's some of the best eateries i've ever been to, from cheapo local cuisine from all over the world, way beyond the usual chinese, indian, italin staples in most cities, to some of the finest fine dining restaurants in the world.

public transport - the tube particularly - is moody, the touristy parts of the west end are grim but there is so much more to the town than the parts that form most visitors' impressions.

the way to think about london really is a sprawling collection of small villages and towns. living in zone 2 is good for getting to work in the city or west end but in reality, you probably won't go out in the centre that much once you've settled in to whichever 'village' you want to live in.

embrace the move and it'll be the best thing you ever did.

don't be put off by some of the comments KSA. if you're up for grafting and partying hard then moving to the capital will be a quality experience.

the streets really are paved with gold. jobs paying £30-100k+ grow on trees down here if you're bright, which you obviously are, and work hard.

they're not being handed out in quite the way they were a few years back, granted, but if you're going to get good work anywhere in the country, then this is the town to be.

on the social side, it's got it all. you won't know where to start if you're a culture vulture. you mentioned you're not a raver, which is a shame as there are clubs here to cater for all tastes, but on the gig side, you're spoiled for choice too. superb bars

too. so many free houses.

plus there's some of the best eateries i've ever been to, from cheapo local cuisine from all over the world, way beyond the usual chinese, indian, italin staples in most cities, to some of the finest fine dining restaurants in the world.

public transport - the tube particularly - is moody, the touristy parts of the west end are grim but there is so much more to the town than the parts that form most visitors' impressions.

the way to think about london really is a sprawling collection of small villages and towns. living in zone 2 is good for getting to work in the city or west end but in reality, you

probably won't go out in the centre that much once you've settled in to whichever 'village' you want to live in.

embrace the move and it'll be the best thing you ever did.

Agree with most of this.

The tube is fairly grim but it is very comprehensive and absolutely fine outside

of rush hour. There are loads of public transport options.

Also, the people aren't as bad as people make out, probably more guarded more tgan anything.

It is more expensive than the rest of the UK but wages are much higher.

If you want to live in a truly multicultural city that has something to offer everyone then get yourself down here.

Spent last weekend on a stag do in Liverpool which I found depressing as fuck. The main attraction of the city being (an admittedly nice) dock or a square with the sort of boozers and punters you'd expect to find in Malia. It made me very grateful to live in London.

I'm with Stevie on this one in that I think it can pretty much depend on your perosnality. I know two friends who moved down there at the same time, both into excellent jobs they wanted and trained for. One loved the job, but hated London - the commute, how busy it was, the pace of it - and after six months finally jacked it to come back up north. The other didn't like the job as much as she thought but loved London and is still there 10 years later, loves the place. Horses for courses.

Student in Uxbridge so I dont know if I even count but the locals are either interesting people with good crack (10%) or arrogant arseholes who think their Southern-ness makes them better than you.

I'm with Stevie on this one in that I think it can pretty much depend on your perosnality. I know two friends who moved down there at the same time, both into excellent jobs they wanted and trained for. One loved the job, but hated London - the commute, how busy it was, the pace of it - and after six months finally jacked it to come back up north. The other didn't like the job as much as she thought but loved London and is still there 10 years later, loves the place. Horses for courses.

i think for some reason, people from newcastle tend to dislike the capital more than most. i know so many geordies that moved down and gave up after a year or so and when i return home so many old mates always bang on about how they can't imagine living down here. each to their own like but i find it weird. this place has so much to offer once you look past the touristy bits that form most peoples' opinion.

i'm definitely in the minority. i love going back to newcastle but i never got so homesick like a lot of people i know who moved to london that i'd want to return after a short while of living here. i still call it home and i love going back to visit but i can't imagine ever living there again, unless i go home to retire. i honestly have no clue what i'd do for a living - or the wife for that matter - if i were to move back home right now.

I lived there for 6 years or so in the 90s. It was fucking brilliant, it's a great city. If you're not out having fun though there's not much point to living there imo. The key is to hook up with like minded people.

Don't bother with the hostel, just try to get a househare off Gumtree, there are a few live-in landlords on there and you can get an absolute steal.

London is definitely worth a pop. But then I'd spent so much of my life in Cramlington that putting my balls in a blender would have been a welcome change.

I've been here for 5 years, must admit I don't go out that much at weekends now, mainly just post-work beers- but the choice open to you is brilliant. How old are you?

I tell you what though. I don't care how much of a generalisation this is, people are farrrrrrrrrrrrrr more racially prejudiced in London than they are here. On my first day working in London I was told there was a "monkey" working on our team but he was off sick. Sure enough the next day big bloke walks in looking the spit of Gary Mason. I was like ffs. The old MD of my company, a total cunt, but of Indian origin was routinely called "a paki caant" when he wasn't there. People can say what the fuck they like, London has a massive racism problem, from all angles. I can't remember the last time I heard a genuinely racist comment in Newcastle outside of old timers in clubs.

Don't bother with the hostel, just try to get a househare off Gumtree, there are a few live-in landlords on there and you can get an absolute steal.

London is definitely worth a pop. But then I'd spent so much of my life in Cramlington that putting my balls in a blender would have been a welcome change.

I've been here for 5 years, must admit I don't go out that much at weekends now, mainly just post-work beers- but the choice open to you is brilliant. How old are you?

24 today.

I tell you what though. I don't care how much of a generalisation this is, people are farrrrrrrrrrrrrr more racially prejudiced in London than they are here. On my first day working in London I was told there was a "monkey" working on our team but he was off sick. Sure enough the next day big bloke walks in looking the spit of Gary Mason. I was like ffs. The old MD of my company, a total cunt, but of Indian origin was routinely called "a paki caant" when he wasn't there. People can say what the fuck they like, London has a massive racism problem, from all angles. I can't remember the last time I heard a genuinely racist comment in Newcastle outside of old timers in clubs.

Is that not due to there being a much higher number of ethnic minorities in London?

24 today.

Echo what Matt says, a hostel is a bad idea, there are plenty of house shares on Gum tree. Also, as has been said in the thread about White Chapel, you can live anywhere and it's not too bad a commute.

Fwiw I love it down here. Got a great group of mates, live in a decent house in a nice area, and for all people say it's dead expensive, you can still go out for a meal and a couple of drinks and have change from £20. There's so many restaurants they've got to offer deals just to compete.

Also, as long as you find a decent pub (of which there are hundreds) you'll find there's as many people from outside of London as there are from within.