Chelsea vs Newcastle United Wed 2 May 2012 7.45pm

Andrew

All the makings of an absolute hiding.

Don't quite get this - we're still one of the most in form clubs, just had a (very) off day. Don't get me wrong, on paper I'd expect them to win (better players, at home etc).

People have expected "absolute hidings" from a few teams this season, Spurs have been the only ones who delivered on that. Hardly thought we'd be getting thrashed by the likes of Fulham and Wigan especially after beating them both at SJP.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has to do with the fact that we get found out, we really get found out and the back four dissolves into nano particles.

Basically it buckles under pressure, Simpson and Williamson the usual suspects.

It would be funny if it wasnt for the small matter of a certain continental competition who has decided on some silly rules regarding conceded goals over 2 legs..

Edited by Lake Bells tits

Has to do with the fact that we get found out, we really get found out and the back four dissolves into nano particles.

Basically it buckles under pressure, Simpson and Williamson the usual suspects.

It would be funny if it wasnt for the small matter of a certain continental competition who has decided on some silly rules regarding conceded goals over 2 legs..

At least we'll have improved the clear weakness in the team (the defence) by next season. It's pleasing to see that almost all of the transfer speculation links us to defenders. Must be something in it.

Hopefully, it should have been rectified in january though. I guess the "long lines" transfer policy that has yielded our success so far deserves a break from critizism though, but I really feel like our quantum leap from Championship to top-6 have made a few positions very weak all of a sudden.

This is a nailed on draw, Chelsea will be happy with a draw so will us.

Chelsea will win the rest of their games and we wont.

We'll finish 6th, and I'm over the moon with that.

We're in the Europa League regardless though. 6th gets in regardless of combinations of results. We might have a qualifying round, but if we can't get through that then we might as well pack it in.

We're in the Europa League regardless though. 6th gets in regardless of combinations of results. We might have a qualifying round, but if we can't get through that then we might as well pack it in.

if chelsea win the CL and finish 5th, 4th and 6th get EL yes?

Mark Halsey will referee Newcastle United's Premier League fixture away at Chelsea on Wednesday night (7.45pm kick-off).

It will be the third time this season that the Lancashire-based official has overseen a Magpies' match. Halsey has twice been in charge of 2-1 wins for Alan Pardew's side - at Wolves in October, and at home against Aston Villa in February.

In total this term, Halsey has refereed 30 games, issuing 70 yellow cards and not a single red cards.

The 50-year-old began officiating in 1989 and it wasn't long before he got appointed to the National List of referees. Halsey was promoted to the Premier League in 1999 and his first game in the top flight came in August of that year with a 1-1 draw between Wimbledon and Coventry.

In August 2009, Halsey was diagnosed with lymphoma of the glands and underwent surgery to remove a cancerous tumour in his throat. He made his refereeing comeback in April 2010 and has re-established himself as one of the best in the top flight.

At Stamford Bridge on Wednesday, Halsey will be assisted by Simon Beck and Andy Halliday, with Andre Marriner the game's fourth official.

That was a CL qualifier.

It was a qualifier nonetheless. The less games we have to play to get into the group stages the better. Not sure what the issue is? 5th gets us more league money and fewer qualifiers to play in Europe. It's better for the club all round.

I think we'll beat them. We'll be looking to bounce back, and this isn't their biggest game this week.

In a way, the Wigan loss could be a good result if it gives us a kick up the arse for the next 3 games.

They're canny shit this season Chelsea, Sturridge gave Ryan Taylor at left-back the run around at our place, I worry that if he plays that Santon might not be defensive-minded enough to deal with him. Anyone else thinking start Perchino at LB?

We usually do alright at Stamford Bridge. One of those games where Shola sees red and white.

I think we'll get something - Chelsea aren't all that special this season and they'll be knackered. Pards will have read the riot act so the team will put in a better performance.

We usually do alright at Stamford Bridge. One of those games where Shola sees red and white.

I think we'll get something - Chelsea aren't all that special this season and they'll be knackered. Pards will have read the riot act so the team will put in a better performance.

Sure looked knackered vs QPR..