Looking at the past

LeazesMag

Some good posts in this one.

Years ago I would spend hours arguing/debating anything if I believed I was right but now I just don't really care enough about being right to get into many debates any more, I do find my interest in the various forums I've signed up to slowly disappearing and I can't imagine posting on them forever.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew you would say that, so right i am. And I just thought something else that's right so I'm right about that as well.

Howay man LM :lol:

The best thing about South Shields is that quaint little pub when you get off the Ferry, big layered beer garden too.

that pub, and another round the corner, is where we have had a few good hours after spending an afternoon or whatever before getting the ferry back over the river.

He's from South Shields though, 5 miles from Sunderland the way the crow flies, historically part of the County of Durham. I know it's only 600 yards from North Shields to South Shields, but it's a chasm. I didn't realise they class themselves as geordies.

Are geordies born or bred Stevie?

Having a curry on Ocean road whilst some pissed up heifer presses her balloon knot against the window ( and leaves a mark) must run a close second though Stevie, eh what?

My dad took me and my brother to South Shields more than anywhere when we were kids. The first ever chinese I had was there, and I had never even seen an Indian [you are looking at the 60's here], and the mosque was so, unreal for want of a better word, because there were no indians etc in Newcastle at all hardly.

And to this day, I STILL haven't had an Indian in Ocean Road, but I will.

Love a riverside pub crawl in south shields. Dolly peel, rose & crown, riverside, steamboat, alum, lambton arms...I can taste the pickled eggs and smell the old nicotine stained carpet now.

Never knew the Alum house had a beer garden. Is it Riverside so you can sup a pint and watch the comings and goings on the river?

Quite into real ale at the moment so will have to check this place out.

Nar it's like sunk on decking round the side of the pub so you can't see the river, fucking magic on a sunny day though, I'd recommend it. Seems to have a variety of real ales too, and the last time I was in which was about 5 weeks ago, the manager was a toon fan, yes I did ask, you have to in them parts.

Are geordies born or bred Stevie?

It's a point of view. One of my best mates was born in Greenwich, his fatha from Leeds, but brought up in Newcastle. He doesn't think he's a geordie, but Steven Taylor who was also born in Greenwich probably does. That doesn't give you, your answer, but if you're born and bred in South Shields how you can say you're a proper geordie is any cunts guess. People from Washington and Durham who support the toon seem to have no problem conceding the fact they're not geordie.

It's a point of view. One of my best mates was born in Greenwich, his fatha from Leeds, but brought up in Newcastle. He doesn't think he's a geordie, but Steven Taylor who was also born in Greenwich probably does. That doesn't give you, your answer, but if you're born and bred in South Shields how you can say you're a proper geordie is any cunts guess. People from Washington and Durham who support the toon seem to have no problem conceding the fact they're not geordie.

I meant born to Geordie parents. Say your ma and da moved to South shields when she was 7 months gone would you have turned out a non-geordie cunt?

I meant born to Geordie parents. Say your ma and da moved to South shields when she was 7 months gone would you have turned out a non-geordie cunt?

Not necessarily a cunt, but definitely you've been unlucky there.

Nar it's like sunk on decking round the side of the pub so you can't see the river, fucking magic on a sunny day though, I'd recommend it. Seems to have a variety of real ales too, and the last time I was in which was about 5 weeks ago, the manager was a toon fan, yes I did ask, you have to in them parts.

Cheers Stevie, I'll have to give it a go.

In preparation for next season if anyone comes across a match day venue selling Tyneside Blonde, please let me know.

Heres one. My and my lass born and bred in newcastle. Our eldest was born in the QE while we lived off Whickham highway. So far so good. But now we live in Durham. So, do you think when he's older he could class himself as a Geordie? At the moment Im thinking not. I say that because he will have a Durham accent with very little Geordie. If you are bred in the area and move out you retain your accent, but he is too young. That said, I think a lot of it is to do with a sense of identity. Something I often wonder about Mackems? Do they have that sense of identity? I mean, everyone the world over knows what a Geordie is (well ok, maybe not but not far off. They know Shearer!), But there must be loads of places that have little of no identity. I think its that which makes us part of what we are.

Heres one. My and my lass born and bred in newcastle. Our eldest was born in the QE while we lived off Whickham highway. So far so good. But now we live in Durham. So, do you think when he's older he could class himself as a Geordie? At the moment Im thinking not. I say that because he will have a Durham accent with very little Geordie. If you are bred in the area and move out you retain your accent, but he is too young. That said, I think a lot of it is to do with a sense of identity. Something I often wonder about Mackems? Do they have that sense of identity? I mean, everyone the world over knows what a Geordie is (well ok, maybe not but not far off. They know Shearer!), But there must be loads of places that have little of no identity. I think its that which makes us part of what we are.

It's only in the last 30 years or so that an atempt to narrow the definition has been made on both sides/in all areas. Maybe Me, Stevie and a shit load of Mackems can only acknowledge through gritted teeth that until the late 70s nearly everyone in Northumberland and Durham were happy to call themselves Geordies - witness SAFC fans singing it at Wembley in 73.

I think the narrowing down, whether it was because of the derogatory use of Mackem and their seizing of that phrase and turning it into one of pride or not was a good thing in many ways as it adds a layer to the rivalry. Of course in places like South Shields, Durham and the SAFC enclaves around Ashington its going to cause more bother as people who have only ever defined themselves as Geordies are now asked to realign their idenity. I certainly know lads from Shields who are SAFC fans who downright refuse to ever associate themselves with the concept of being Mackems.

I think I've said before its about layers - just as a lot of people have pride in calling themselves Geordies and Englishmen, I can take pride in calling myself a Sanddancer and a Geordie - I honestly see it as a subset rather than something mutually exclusive. Because of the number of people I've met from all over the North East who support NUFC I just can't bring myself to accept Stevie's ultra-narrow definition as I think its disrespectful to too many - I don't mind a bit pisstaking here and there but being categorically told that I can't be defined as a Geordie is something I will never accept.

Cheers Stevie, I'll have to give it a go.

In preparation for next season if anyone comes across a match day venue selling Tyneside Blonde, please let me know.

Used to be a cracking brothel at the top of Westgate Rd.

My Dad was born and bred in Washington, Mother born in Blackhall Mill, moved to Longbenton aged about 8.

I was born in Dryburn , Durham , but we moved back to Longbenton when I was 6 months old.

Grew up there and Killy.

I have never thought of myself as anything other than a Geordie.

* Stevie loading up the Mackem gun as I type ;)

I think I've said before its about layers - just as a lot of people have pride in calling themselves Geordies and Englishmen, I can take pride in calling myself a Sanddancer and a Geordie - I honestly see it as a subset rather than something mutually exclusive.

This in a nutshell for me. Its the football identity that draws me to the Geordie alignment, nothing else.

Do people genuinely sit and get angry about whether other people call themselves a Geordie when they were born 10cms outside of the prescribed boundary? Come on man. Stevie - grow the fuck up.

Born in South Shields, brought up in Washington and now live in Saham via Manchester and Gateshead. Yes, I'm a Geordie too, so go and shove your snobbiness up your arse.

It's contextual for me. If someone asks if I'm a Geordie and the conversation has, thus far, been about football. I'll say I'm a Geordie.

If the conversation is going to be too brief or shallow to get into it, it's easier to say I'm from Newcastle than to explain I'm from a small village in Northumberland that's really close to Newcastle, because if I say Northumberland, they think I mean Berwick... If I say I'm from Newcastle people call me a Geordie and that's a lot more appealing than being a Scot.

If a Geordie asks me, I'd say no. If it's worth the bother I'll explain where I'm from but honestly, it's usually easier just to say yes.

It's contextual for me. If someone asks if I'm a Geordie and the conversation has, thus far, been about football. I'll say I'm a Geordie.

If the conversation is going to be too brief or shallow to get into it, it's easier to say I'm from Newcastle than to explain I'm from a small village in Northumberland that's really close to Newcastle, because if I say Northumberland, they think I mean Berwick... If I say I'm from Newcastle people call me a Geordie and that's a lot more appealing than being a Scot.

If a Geordie asks me, I'd say no. If it's worth the bother I'll explain where I'm from but honestly, it's usually easier just to say yes.

Yup