2011-2012

The Fish

I've been thinking a lot about last season and looking at our success in relation to the other clubs fortunes; Liverpool & Chelsea's poor league form, the impressive performances of the promoted sides and the higher than average points totals across the board (which indicates teams beating each other rather than draws).

Were we the beneficiaries of a perfect storm?

For example, only twice since 2000 have promoted sides accumulated more points. Norwich and Swansea took points off traditionally midtable sides.

The nonsense on and off the pitch that Liverpool (a side normally gunning for top 6 at least) endured saw them pick up their lowest points total since we switched to 3 points for a win.

Chelsea having, by their standards, a poor Premier League season.

Spurs incredible loss of form after the Capello/Redknapp thing

And ourselves? we benefited from our 3rd highest points haul in the Premier League (7th ever), 4th best position, etc. etc.

Makes me more nervous for next season.

Surely Liverpool and Chelsea will revert to type? Surely the promoted sides won't take as many points from the mid-table?

Yeah I agree to a point. I thought emulating last season would be a very tough task. A lot of things went in our favour. that said, there are other things for this season coming. Liverpool and spurs have new managers and we have no idea how they will work. Chelsea will have a full season now as well and we have no idea on them. Arsenal have new forwards and may yet lose vP. The new clubs like West Ham seem to be making an effort to make sure they stay up. But, we are not standing still either. 6-8 for us and a few cup runs would not surprise me but Id also accept (hopefully and get back in to europe).

i don't expect us to match last season's finish. we over-performed, other clubs didn't perform to their potential.

but if can keep this group of players together, and add to them, then there's no reason why we can't be finishing somewhere just below the top 5 or 6.

i can't see us challenging the top 4 again as we did last season.

I think we're genuine 6th place contenders as we are, especially with a CB and RB coming in.

Although I don't see Southampton staying up and Wet Sham won't fare so well either. Genuinely no idea what Reading will do but they won't get relegated (Pog and Guthrie are both real coups for the team). The mid table teams all seem capable of beating each other regardless of form/likelihood though, which should see an even spread of points. We've had players with pace for a change who can overcome a fair few defences so I see no reason why we can't string some wins together at various points throughout the season. Whether we can sustain it given a Euro run is another matter, which could see us just drop out of the top 5 in the final 3rd of the season.

I think Arsenal and Spurs will stay where they are, Chelski might be able to pip us to 5th this time around given some of the signings they've made. Still very dodgy at the back though...

I think you're right about Chelsea reverting to type, Liverpool I don't think will do, they don't seem that good a side at all on paper and with Rogers coming in and totally changing the football philosophy I'd be surprised to see them in the CL spots running.

Spurs are an unknown at this point, I think AVB is a superb manager and will be a good fit but who knows if they'll keep the big players or not.

I don't think we had any players having a season where they played particularly above themselves, Cabaye showed at the euros that he's more than capable of playing like he does for us (or better) in another side for instance so I don't think we'll see a sudden drop off in our players performance levels.

fuck it, who knows? owt could happen

Worry not Fish, we will once again storm the higher echelons with our improved defence, solid and cunning midfield, lightning wings and blistering attack.

A new dawn is upon us.

All of those traits rolled into one tiny package - Shane Ferguson.

All of those traits rolled into one tiny package - Shane Ferguson.

Aye, lets not forget the subs bench. Fucking awesomeness of every flavour.

Shane, Shola, Shammy, Carrol, Jonas, Perchini, and on and on.....

What a fucking squad. :surf:

I've been thinking a lot about last season and looking at our success in relation to the other clubs fortunes; Liverpool & Chelsea's poor league form, the impressive performances of the promoted sides and the higher than average points totals across the board (which indicates teams beating each other rather than draws).

Were we the beneficiaries of a perfect storm?

For example, only twice since 2000 have promoted sides accumulated more points. Norwich and Swansea took points off traditionally midtable sides.

The nonsense on and off the pitch that Liverpool (a side normally gunning for top 6 at least) endured saw them pick up their lowest points total since we switched to 3 points for a win.

Chelsea having, by their standards, a poor Premier League season.

Spurs incredible loss of form after the Capello/Redknapp thing

And ourselves? we benefited from our 3rd highest points haul in the Premier League (7th ever), 4th best position, etc. etc.

Makes me more nervous for next season.

Surely Liverpool and Chelsea will revert to type? Surely the promoted sides won't take as many points from the mid-table?

You say Liverpool may revert to type, their last three finishes have been rather Everton-esque 7th, 6th and 8th losing on average 14 games a season. Liverpool are shite. Their squad is shite, they rely on Gerrard for almost everything, still a quality player but his effectiveness is far surpassed now by the likes David Silva in my view. He can't do everything, Liverpool need a new team, not taking the piss they do, their so called second best player is worth £40m according to them yet Demba Ba scored more goals in 3 and a half months than he has in 18. What is Liverpool's level? Their actual revenue is significantly lower than Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd. Man City blow them away artificially, and Tottenham are ran better, with better players in almost every position. Liverpool is 6th to 9th in my view without serious investment. We won more games last season than they did in any of the last three, and in my view we didn't play as well as we can in my games. I think there's improvement to come from us, whereas with Liverpool it's a complete revamp which is needed.

Spurs "incredible" loss of form, only made it a similar season to which they've been having for three years, and the only manager of Tottenham who has been able to do anything with them at all, was sacked, I expect a further downward trajectory from them. Their players are suited to high octane attacking football, that was rarely on view under AVB at Chelsea.

Norwich and Swansea also took points off Arsenal, you worry too much, we're due another fine season, look at our first team from a neutral view, we're the 6th best in the country, Tottenham have hurt themselves, and Liverpool remain shit.

Aye, lets not forget the subs bench. Fucking awesomeness of every flavour.

Shane, Shola, Shammy, Carrol, Jonas, Perchini, and on and on.....

What a fucking squad. :surf:

I know I'll regret this

fucking Jonas? are you kidding? started all but one PL game for us last season and you've stuck him on as subs bench player? who is playing instead of him exactly?

I know I'll regret this

fucking Jonas? are you kidding? started all but one PL game for us last season and you've stuck him on as subs bench player? who is playing instead of him exactly?

Krul

Debuchy STaylor Coloccini Santon

Ben-Arfa Tiote Cabaye Marveaux

Cisse Ba

That would be my starting 11

:)

For the most part I would prefer Marveaux's intelligence on the ball and think he would link up play down the left excellently. He could also interchange with Ben Arfa very well.

Of course I have no objection to bringing Jonas in for the tougher games when we want to play a three man midfield.

While Chelsea dropped 7 points and Liverpool 6 compared to the previous season Man Utd were up 9 points, Man City up 18, Arsenal up 2 and Spurs up 7 so they've just flip flopped about a bit.

Just h

Chelsea and Liverpool will be shite again this season.

Just had a Chelsea fan ring me up from Betfair not 5 mins ago, and while I agree with you, he said he expects a serious title bid. He was going on about Marin and Hazard being the best players in the league, I says you need to worry about losing Drogba, "oh Lukaku will prove to be twice the player Drogba was." aye a 19 year old. People say we're deluded. I still think they'll come above us, 5th will do I think if we get the two defenders in and a striker, Carroll will dee, we'll be sweet. I think last season shows that we should trust Pardew, he's not going to accept being inferior one year to the next, and he's commanded enough respect that we should trust him, like the Man Utd fans did after the opening day of 95/96 when Man Utd lost 3-1 at Villa, and everyone says you win fuck all with kids.

You say Liverpool may revert to type, their last three finishes have been rather Everton-esque 7th, 6th and 8th losing on average 14 games a season. Liverpool are shite. Their squad is shite, they rely on Gerrard for almost everything, still a quality player but his effectiveness is far surpassed now by the likes David Silva in my view. He can't do everything, Liverpool need a new team, not taking the piss they do, their so called second best player is worth £40m according to them yet Demba Ba scored more goals in 3 and a half months than he has in 18. What is Liverpool's level? Their actual revenue is significantly lower than Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd. Man City blow them away artificially, and Tottenham are ran better, with better players in almost every position. Liverpool is 6th to 9th in my view without serious investment. We won more games last season than they did in any of the last three, and in my view we didn't play as well as we can in my games. I think there's improvement to come from us, whereas with Liverpool it's a complete revamp which is needed.

Spurs "incredible" loss of form, only made it a similar season to which they've been having for three years, and the only manager of Tottenham who has been able to do anything with them at all, was sacked, I expect a further downward trajectory from them. Their players are suited to high octane attacking football, that was rarely on view under AVB at Chelsea.

Norwich and Swansea also took points off Arsenal, you worry too much, we're due another fine season, look at our first team from a neutral view, we're the 6th best in the country, Tottenham have hurt themselves, and Liverpool remain shit.

With Liverpool I mean that they'll not give up so many points to opposition down the league. Especially if Rodgers has them playing that fucking awful football he promotes. I don't think they're going to be gunning for Champions League, but I think they'll make the group fighting for the 5-7th positions bigger.

With Chelsea, I guess it's pessimism that's driving me, I've no idea how Marin, Hazard and Hulk (if e signs) will perform and I don't think they're done spending yet. I just fancy them to improve on what was an anomalous season last time round.

Spurs keeping Bale is massive, No idea how they're going to do without 'arry this term though. I don't buy that it' was just their normal blip, something happened in that dressing room. Now, if it was Redknapp causing the rift then AVB may very well get those players playing together... Or given his inability to corral the egos of Chelsea's old guard he might take them down the Ramos road. :pray:

You're probably right, it probably is just worry. I think I'll settle a little more after the window closes.

Debuchy, Douglas, a striker and keeping Ba & Tiote would have me looking at hotels in Amsterdam come the 15th of May

• 1 year later...

Indeed you were...looking at some people's posts on this thread mind :lol:

At least some people can call it fairly accurately :whistling: Take note CT...

Theyve all got you on ignore Leazes, they cant see your question :)

I think Ashleys praying we dont qualify for Europe. I never thought Id say this but so do I. If we qualify for the Europa League I wouldnt be surprised if we have a flirt with relegation next season. Certainly we wont finish in the top 7.