Bands you didn't like at the time but now sort of appreciate

jonasjuice

The Style Council, didn't like them as a kid but grew to love some of their tracks over the last few years.

I always liked the Eurythmics but appreciate some of their songs far more now as well as Annie's solo stuff.

For some reason it was cool to hate anything Paul Weller did for a decade...The Style Council and all his early solo stuff were slated to fuck by those "in the know"...till the mid nineties when he suddenly became cool again. The Style council were a great "singles" band, they all seemed good to me, dont think I got any of their albums though. Think Weller lost it when he hooked up with those cock ends Ocean Colour Scene :glare:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cold Play

Read Hot Chilli Peppers

Guns & Roses. Didnt like em at school when all the "cooler" kids did, but now enjoy them

Queen.

Cold Play

Read Hot Chilli Peppers

Guns & Roses. Didnt like em at school when all the "cooler" kids did, but now enjoy them

Queen.

Cold Play

Read Hot Chilli Peppers

Queen.

frognewgranada1765148c.jpg

The fuck are you talking about?!

Radiohead for me too.

I've come to like a lot of older stuff (e.g. Dire Straights also!) but seeing as I wasn't really there or only just born 'at the time' that's not really the same thing.

Do you reckon that as you fall more into the person you're going to be for the rest of your life, the "greats" (Beatles, Stones, The Who, James Brown, Marley, etc.) tap into something fairly universal?

Or is it just that popular music was better then?

Do you reckon that as you fall more into the person you're going to be for the rest of your life, the "greats" (Beatles, Stones, The Who, James Brown, Marley, etc.) tap into something fairly universal?

it was just better then. and fresher.

Love Gerry Rafferty's music now but wasn't that fussed years ago.

I used to hate pan pipe music but got listening to a group called APU , a Peruvian pan pipe band and love listening to it now.

I think popular music then was made mostly by people who were good musicians. All the artists you mention are from the pre "color tv in every home (or room)" era.

Since the early eighties it's been a lot more about image than music. Musicians used to made it big depending on whether they could perform...because they were only selling singles and albums. People don't buy singles with plain covers any more. People buy into a whole image presented on dozens of music channels, in full colour magazines and newspapers. Different groups buy into an image first and the music second and as a result there's very few universally acclaimed artists that bridge all age groups.

For example, David Gray and Ed sheeran are similar in style....totally different demographics though, I reckon, on image alone. One for the dads and one for their daughters.

Sideways cap, big rim glasses and big trainers...you can get to number one.

Same here with Ok Computer but once I got it I realised it's an absolute masterpiece.

Other than In Rainbows I'm not keen on much that followed other than the odd song like 2+2 = 5, Knives out, There There & Optimistic to name a few

Kid A is a masterpiece.

I think popular music then was made mostly by people who were good musicians. All the artists you mention are from the pre "color tv in every home (or room)" era.

Since the early eighties it's been a lot more about image than music. Musicians used to made it big depending on whether they could perform...because they were only selling singles and albums. People don't buy singles with plain covers any more. People buy into a whole image presented on dozens of music channels, in full colour magazines and newspapers. Different groups buy into an image first and the music second and as a result there's very few universally acclaimed artists that bridge all age groups.

For example, David Gray and Ed sheeran are similar in style....totally different demographics though, I reckon, on image alone. One for the dads and one for their daughters.

Sideways cap, big rim glasses and big trainers...you can get to number one.

This resurgence of vinyl sales; will it see a gradual return to music as a past-time, rather than simply a background accompaniment to your life? Vinyl requires action by the audience, you have to physically put the record on, swap it over and so on, whereas MP3s are just there. Like lift music. Programs like Spotify and LastFm remove even the minimum effort by streaming an incredible resource of music without the need to pick the albums you listen to. Just open the program, start a Radio and away you go.

I would prefer the charts to be re-categorised as "Shit that people are spoonfed"

Guest CabayeAye

Coldplay are fucking shite!! :lol:

And Kurt Cobain killing himself was the best thing to happen to music ever!

Foo Fighters >>>>> Nirvana.

I really like the Foo Fighters but not better than Nirvana. Bleach is a fantastic album. Try listening to stuff other than Nevermind.

Maybe the public have just got stupider. Most areas of society are nosediving, why should music be any different?

Hard to argue with that.

Morlocks and Elois

Guest CabayeAye

I've listened to all of Nirvana's stuff. If we do it by songs:

Good songs by Nirvana:

Smells like Teen Spirit

Come as you are

Lithium

Brilliant songs by Foo Fighters:

Monkey Wrench

Breakout

All my Life

Everlong

The Pretender

Brilliant songs by Foo Fighters:

Monkey Wrench

Breakout

All my Life

Everlong

The Pretender

A tally that it's taken them 37 identical and tedious albums to achieve. Congratulations! :first:

Nirvana, I used to think scruffy yank twats, but I have become quite fond of the stuff they produced in the 90's. These doilums who worship Cobain though fuckin pipe down. Imagine travelling round the world to see his grave. Soundgarden are another yank band I've grown to like, Black Hole Sun is a mint song, the video is wierd though.

I used to think I was Kurt Cobain in the 90s,had the shoulder length hair and everything! Had every album going, including all the rare Japanese bootlegs and shit :lol:

Haven't listened to any of them in years now, much prefer pearl Jam, which 13year old me would have been disgusted at!