Bands you didn't like at the time but now sort of appreciate

jonasjuice

Back in the 90's I was, let's say, way too cool for school, and was a fan of neither Blur nor Oasis. Now, due to boredom, I recently (30 seconds/now ago) listened to a YouTube artist playlist of each and have to say I found quite a lot of songs, I'd either never heard before or ignored due to my semi-hipster bias and very much enjoyed a lot of the material now all of the subtext had been stripped away by the ravages of my own aging.

So, any bands/acts you initially mocked then eventually grew to begrudgingly/non-grudgingly enjoy purely for the music?

I would, despite my loathing of the Mamma Mia phenomenon, have to throw my beautifully Arien ABBA hat into the ring as well.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't enjoy Dire Straits as a kid, nor The Who... Wasn't a massive fan of Radiohead (Pablo Honey era) and yet now you won't find me without them on my iPhone.

But then, I used to really love Ocean Colour scene, I've recently listened to them again... fuck me :lol:

Hands up those who expected CT to say Wham/George Michael.

:D

:hiya:

The Jam, hated them at the time, solely because I shared a bedroom with my older brother, and they were all he played.

I was bang into Accy Daccy at the time.

Last 3 cds purchased....Simple Minds,Chris Rea, Dire Straights.....my totally cool teenage self now fuckin hates me :(

Dire Straights especially....remove the one with Sting on it and the fuckin walk of life from "Brothers in Arms" and its a magical piece of work. The title track alone is stunning. Think I hid my sister's copy of it at the the time to stop her playing "the fuckin walk of life" over and over again.

A couple of good shouts on here that I'm the same with:

Radiohead - didn't like until about 2005 and then couldn't get enough

Pearl Jam - wasn't a fan, started listening to Eddie Vedders solo album for the film 'In to the wild', loved it, had no idea he was the guy from Pearl Jam, but once I did I listened to Ten by Pearl Jam and realised I fucking love it! Haven't listened to any other albums yet as this was only last week

Nirvana - Didn't like them in the mid 90's... mate got me in to Bush around 1998 and then from there I started to develop a love for Nirvana... now my favourite band of all time

Always liked Blur.

Railed against Oasis though. On here quite a bit too in the early days I think. It wasn't the Blur vs Oasis thing though, it was the Beatles vs Oasis thing. Never liked the hype. They did some great songs though and never deserved the frothing backlash I gave them. Got most of their albums and enjoy them now, if not on regular rotation.

There was also a lad i grew up with who got well into his dance music in the 90s (no better time to do so I guess) and i would rip the piss. I was a total guitar head in my teens. If it wasn't strummed i wasn't having it, and refused to accept there was any skill involved in producing a beat on a computer. Funnily enough, we've swapped viewpoints now, I love a bit of minimal techno, without being particularly clued up on the scene, while he'll listen to nowt but rock radio with Alice Cooper.

All Hip Hop would raise my hackles too. I blush when i think how easily I'd dismiss an entire genre out of hand, without delving into it at any depth. Think it was listening to a mates Public Enemy CDs getting lifts to and from work that totally turned me around. One of the all time great bands.

It's rare that I'll ever slag off any music now. open minded and keen to listen to anything and everything. If it's not for me, it's bound to be for someone else.

Last 3 cds purchased....Simple Minds,Chris Rea, Dire Straights.....my totally cool teenage self now fuckin hates me :(

Dire Straights especially....remove the one with Sting on it and the fuckin walk of life from "Brothers in Arms" and its a magical piece of work. The title track alone is stunning. Think I hid my sister's copy of it at the the time to stop her playing "the fuckin walk of life" over and over again.

The Walk of Life is just horrendous like. :lol: My abiding memory of that song is working student night at Bliss in the town, stood behind the bar watching rah students singing that shit song to one another.

The Style Council, didn't like them as a kid but grew to love some of their tracks over the last few years.

I always liked the Eurythmics but appreciate some of their songs far more now as well as Annie's solo stuff.

Nirvana, I used to think scruffy yank twats, but I have become quite fond of the stuff they produced in the 90's. These doilums who worship Cobain though fuckin pipe down. Imagine travelling round the world to see his grave. Soundgarden are another yank band I've grown to like, Black Hole Sun is a mint song, the video is wierd though.

My Mrs said she only knew one Nirvana song, so I hoyed all their albums on random. She was singing along to half of them nae bother.

That horrific version of Led Zeps Heartbreaker on the rarities box set came on though **shudder**

I started taking music seriously in about 76 or 77 and soon settled on HM. I thought that was the only music that could satisfy my taste for good guitar driven stuff so I pretty much ignored punk. At the start of the 80s I started to expand my taste into indie and other guitar based stuff and in punk learned to love The Clash and SLF.

Also as I became a big fan of U2 I bought into their rivalry with the Bunnymen and actively disliked them. I've since become a huge fan of theirs.

Nirvana, I used to think scruffy yank twats, but I have become quite fond of the stuff they produced in the 90's. These doilums who worship Cobain though fuckin pipe down. Imagine travelling round the world to see his grave. Soundgarden are another yank band I've grown to like, Black Hole Sun is a mint song, the video is wierd though.

Tried Sound Garden a few times and just can't get in to them.. also hate Black Hole Sun with a passion as it sounds like Aerosmith to me lol! Mind you that's probably just me, but it's too airy fairy for my liking.

Saying that I'll probs be on here in a couple of months saying how it's changed my life lol. I can be quite fickle like that :D

Took a while for OK Computer to click with me but now it has, it's essential listening. Simon and Garfunkel were a band I always appreciated for their talent and songwriting but never loved them until about 3 weeks ago where it fell into place.

Same here with Ok Computer but once I got it I realised it's an absolute masterpiece.

Other than In Rainbows I'm not keen on much that followed other than the odd song like 2+2 = 5, Knives out, There There & Optimistic to name a few

Same here with Ok Computer but once I got it I realised it's an absolute masterpiece.

Other than In Rainbows I'm not keen on much that followed other than the odd song like 2+2 = 5, Knives out, There There & Optimistic to name a few

The Bends is class if you've not heard that.

Took me a while to like Lodger by Bowie actually. I remember hating the Arcade Fire's latest album for a while but it's clicked with me eventually.

I never ever disliked James Brown. I loved his greatest hits, but I was restricted to those 20 popular tracks for about 10 years and just viewed him as another 60's pop star and Rocky cameo man. The more i got into Hip Hop, the more I realised his legacy and delved into his massive back catalogue.

Wee Wee, an instrumental from Fine Old Foxy Self came on the shuffle in the car last night and I had to go back and play it from start to finish 3 times. I was bopping all over. Fucking champion.

I thought I was quite clear that I never didn't like him :D

I said i loved him....but he deserved much more respect than the level I gave him early on, as much as I liked his chart hits. Like my mam's favourite band is Queen because she has greatest hits 1 AND 2.

JB's greatest hits are the tip off the iceberg...and quite often cheesy populist versions of his best work.

EDIT: I only saw him live once unfiortunately...he was supporting RHCP and put on a show immeasurably better than they.