When is it acceptable for a bloke to cry?

BigWalrus

We were having an alcohol-fuelled debate a couple of weeks ago about when it's acceptable for a bloke to cry.

The top three were:

a ) at a funeral

b ) at a football match

c ) after a life-changing wank

Thoughts?

Edited by BigWalrus

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....though I cry at loads of films, which is shameful.

Also when I watch films with other people and anything remotely sad happens I get panicky that I might cry even if I don't feel like crying...so I go bright red get short of breath my heart pounds and I sweat like a fat bitch.

It's crippling.

It's acceptable to cry whenever you feel the need to cry, no matter what it is. The reason why a lot of men are pent up and angry is because they are afraid to cry for fear of looking like right pussy, so they hold it all in which just bottles up until an explosion of rage happens, normally fuelled by drink or some drug or an argument with whoever.

Crying will become a lot more common among men in the near future as they become more and more feminine as they are now becoming.

Never cried at football like, always think "get a grip man".

Funerals or dogs are a given.

I have had a lump I'm my throat at the news before. Death of someone's child typically and they're talking to the parent or something. Seeing the plight of mistreated kids in a documentary etc.

....though I cry at loads of films, which is shameful.

Also when I watch films with other people and anything remotely sad happens I get panicky that I might cry even if I don't feel like crying...so I go bright red get short of breath my heart pounds and I sweat like a fat bitch.

It's crippling.

Plus 1

I've never had a dog, but surely there are worse things to cry about? It's a dog, for Christ's sake. People talk about the death of a dog (and cats, and horses...) like it's the most horrible thing imaginable.

You've never had a dog.

Stepping on an upturned plug

Add to that:

Lego

A million and one toys that serve no purpose than to draw blood and make you try not to swear in front of your kids

I've never had a dog, but surely there are worse things to cry about? It's a dog, for Christ's sake. People talk about the death of a dog (and cats, and horses...) like it's the most horrible thing imaginable.

I've never had any pets and can't empathise grief for animals at all - I don't think I'm naturally un-empathic as despite not having kids, I can't imagine anything worse than losing one.

Guest CabayeAye

Never had a dog, can't stand dogs. Had to fast forward through the video. Got bored.

I expect it would be different for a dog owner though and someone who actually liked animals.

And yes, standing on an upturned plug knacks. When I was 12 I jumped down the stairs onto a plug in socks. Made a fair cut that did.

Seems a bit hypocritical to me to mourn the passing of a dog and eat meat. I just can't get upset over pets (no, haven't got one). Human tragedy hits me a million times more; unfortunately recently I've had a lot of experience with this.

I cry during films and also I found out recently Olympic opening ceremonies. I try to stay strong for the real personal tragedies, usually successfully. The worst thing about crying as a man is the feel of shame it brings. That's society for you.

As for football, fuck off. Anyone, including lasses and bairns, should be publicly humiliated for shedding a tear.

I dunno, i didnt cry but definitely felt a bit chesty and sick when we were relegated. Think it's fine to get emotional over it! just not to openly bawl!!

How is that possibly hypocritical? From a man who cried at the Olympics Opening ceremony no less.

To love some animals and eat others? Is it not obvious?

The Olympics ceremony comment was meant as a joke, though it was moving.