Everton v Newcastle United ---- 17/9/2012

JonTheMag

I think Jonas will be used for his work rate and his ability to run with the ball while Marveaux will get chances to provide and create with his vision and technical ability. Its nice to have two different options on the left.

I would still like to see Ben Arfa on the left and Jonas on the right though. Im suprised we havent used a tactic more of switching sides through out the game.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting question although I don't think it's pertinent to a discussion about tomorrows game given that he wouldn't be playing anyway.

Well it's the sort of game given our injuries he could at least make the bench for. Not heard anything to suggest he wil.

Truth be told I've been wondering for a while now but it's hardly worth its own thread.

Well it's the sort of game given our injuries he could at least make the bench for. Not heard anything to suggest he wil.

Truth be told I've been wondering for a while now but it's hardly worth its own thread.

I would say Biggi, Amalfitano and even Perch are all ahead of him for a centre mid role so I wouldn't even expect to see him on the bench tomorrow (especially given the return to fitness of wor Shane, Vukic and the Ameobi's).

I would certainly have expected him to be about the European squad though so I was surprising he wasn't on the bench in the last game and even more so that we've hear jack shit about him since.

I think it's a fairly accurate assessment that Jonas doesn't deliver enough quality from the left. But it also disregards the fact that we don't get enough quality from the right either in a 4-4-2. Ben Arfa (while clearly being class and our most effective attacking player so far) rarely delivers quality crosses in from the right.

This is why I don't think 4-4-2 in any way suits us any more. We need to go back to playing 4-3-3 or whatever you want to call what we finished last season with. That gets round the problem of wingers who can't put in quality crosses, makes the best use of Cabaye by pushing him further forward and gives an answer to the problem of Ba and Cisse seemingly being unable to play as a front two together.

Whether or not you then try playing Marveaux or Fergusson as the wide left player is another question.

Good post

You are right. That won't happen. Although Tav looks to be a good prospect and could start in the PL this season, Monday is too soon.

Secondly, I would like to see that attacking three behind a striker, balance on the wings and Barfa in the number ten but if your to drop one of Cisse and Ba it would have to be the former imo.

Yes, perhaps but I would really like to see Ben Arfa given a central free role. Also, the reason I put in Tav was because I'd like Anita to go back to midfield. Little scared about Bigi coping against a good Everton midfield who are miles better than Villa.

Winning the Premier League and LMA manager of the year doesn't suggest he already is a top English manager?

I really don't know why I bother.

Agree with you mate. Think people are getting paranoid a little too soon. Yes, we haven't played the best football yet, but we managed to graft a lot of results last year without playing good football.

The only spell where we played good football last season was towards the end when we regularly played the fluid 4-3-3. Think Pards is trying to make the 4-4-2 work with the personnel we have. If it doesn't work soon, I have no doubt that he'll switch to the 4-3-3 again. In the meantime, let's hope the system works. :)

Not sure if these quotes have been posted, but at least Cabaye's acknowledging his below par performances this season. Hopefully the minutes he got for France can only help him get up to speed quicker for us.

Cabaye said regarding his future with Newcastle, “I'm very happy here, I've never thought any different, and I'm very happy to play for Newcastle. It has been difficult for me so far this season, I don’t want to make excuses, but I’m getting back to full fitness.”

Can see our performance in this game being quite similar to the QPR away one early doors last season in all honesty.

Or we play the 442 crap because Jonas doesn't play as a winger and doesn't attack.

If you don't like reading differing opinions btw, best not visiting forums.

Nah, we don't play 4-4-2 well because we cant hold onto the ball in the middle of the park when playing against teams playing 3 there. Jonas gives us an outlet and is always there for to play the ball out of defence. Seen a stat also saying that before this weekends games he'd won the ball back the 4th most times in the Premiership, so far this season.

True, but we'll take the TV money anyway.

Absolutely horrible scheduling for us, made worse by already stretching to cover defense. At least after this run of games we'll know what some of our younger players are capable of. It should be further highlighting the areas in which strengethening is required so that we can look to do that in January. Unfortunately getting a 'deal' across the line is more the motivation for our owner than actually improving the team.

A lot of onus on Cabaye for this match. He's had a very poor start to the season.

Yes, obviously Jonas is our issue, not shit performances from central midfield, additional midweek fixtures, several disruptive injuries, two strikers who're playing like they've never seen each other before (no knock on either Ba or Cisse, they're still working out their partnership), and a shift back to a much more restrictive formation than the one we succeeded with at the end of last season.

I'm just going to put this out there now: Ferguson is a nothing player. He is never going to make it at PL level. He has nothing at all to recommend him over our Argentine international vice-captain who has been once of our most consistent performers over the last 5 years. In a year or two he'll be turning out for Preston or Oldham.

An argument can at least be made for Marveaux, who looks talented, but blows a bit hot and cold. Against the Greek team in the second leg he was really nowhere to be found and put in a pretty lacklustre shift. I'd keep him as an option off the bench for now as he certainly has the skills to come on and change games, but I have some doubts over his fitness still.

We're facing a very tough match tomorrow and we will need to win the midfield battle to have any chance, considering our weakened defence. Jonas is the man you want in your midfield when you're looking for ball retention.

NEWCASTLE are next up at Goodison in a tasty looking night fixture against a side that feature in the ‘mini league’ of sides competing against us for fourth spot in the table.

Pardew’s outfit showed last season the benefit of getting points on the board early; only missing out on ECL qualification on the last day of a campaign in which they racked up 65 points to secure 5th spot, a figure nine more than our final total.

In the three meetings since Pardew occupied the St James hot seat we’ve won two out of three with the key differential being set pieces. We have scored from one in each of the three games so expect Pienaar and Jelavic to be looking to buy cheap fouls in and around the Newcastle 18 yard area that we can exploit.

The final game of last season showcased the minimal difference in quality between the sides and that at full strength we are arguably better equipped than the Geordies to put pressure on Arsenal who remain favourites for the final ECL slot.

Our dominance of last season’s fixture when Pienaar ran riot was such that both Newcastle full backs were given the hook at half time. Pardew is sweating on the fitness of key defensive personnel for this fixture with Danny Simpson’s injury making it likely that James Perch will again be tasked with policing the marauding Baines/Pienaar axis from right back.

Edited by PaddockLad

Well thats depressing PL :lol:

They wont have to worry too much about cheap free kicks (or penalties) if Mike "hands on" Williamson gets the nod.

Still feeling good about this. Looks like Cabaye and co have had their arses kicked behind the scenes and should be looking to put in a good performance tonight. Plus its on the telly so some will be playing for a move ;)

The right team could sneak us a win.

Monday night at the Pub. Get the fuckity fuck in. :)

Would love to see us have a real go at them, unfortunately Pardew seems to conservative in his nature to do this.

Hopefully he can prove us all wrong like he did away at West Brom last season.