Lineker apologises for 'eating grass' comment aimed at Muslim players' prayer celebration

Tooj

The former England star was fronting Al Jazeera's coverage of the 2-2 draw between Montpellier and Schalke when he made the comment about Karim Ait-Fana and Younes Belhanda

Gary Lineker has apologised after describing a prayer celebration by two Muslim Montpellier players on Wednesday night as "eating grass" on Al Jazeera TV.

The Match of the Day presenter was leading the Middle East coverage of Wednesday night’s Uefa Champions League games for sports channel Al Jazeera +3, when he described the opening goal in the 2-2 draw between Schalke and Montpellier from Karim Ait-Fana.

“A terrific effort from Karim Ait-Fana, who scored from just outside the area and then ate grass…as you do,” said Lineker, as the pictures showed the 23-year-old French winger and his Moroccan colleague Younes Belhanda, 25, bending down on their haunches and bowing their heads to the ground.

The Islamic prayer posture has become a popular celebration in recent times for players who follow the Muslim faith, including Newcastle United strike duo Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse.

Lineker’s comment immediately drew criticism on his own personal Twitter account, while Goal.com received complaints from readers accusing the former England and Tottenham striker of cultural and religious insensitivity.

The 51-year-old apologised in the early hours of this morning to his 1.1million Twitter followers minutes after he posted a picture of himself at his son George’s 21st birthday party.

“I’m sorry but I’m not aware of every player’s religion,” tweeted Lineker.

The BBC distanced themselves from the sports presenter’s quip when they were contacted by Goal.com on Thursday, saying the matter only concerned Al Jazeera, the channel he was working for at the time.

"It's a stupid remark and sheer ignorance," said Ajmal Masroor, a London based imam. "This is very unprofessional from a football legend who is supposed to be a role model.

"The fact it was on Al Jazeera makes it even more unacceptable. The players are not asking anyone else to join in their worship they are making a gesture in thanks to God - saying they are 'eating grass' is outrageous.

"I am stunned - seeing this makes me sick.

"He should apologise or be sacked by Al Jazeera. If someone makes the gesture of the cross and a commentator mocked them I would deem that equally offensive. Its not an outsider's right to belittle or mock players for making a religious gesture."

Al Jazeera were unavailable for comment.

Lineker's BBC contract allows him to anchor the English language football coverage for Al Jazeera Sports, which broadcasts predominantly to a Middle East audience.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/14/asia/2012/10/04/3425047/lineker-apologises-for-eating-grass-comment-aimed-at-muslim?source=breakingnews

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It's a stupid remark and sheer ignorance," said Ajmal Masroor, a London based imam. "This is very unprofessional from a football legend who is supposed to be a role model.

"The fact it was on Al Jazeera makes it even more unacceptable. The players are not asking anyone else to join in their worship they are making a gesture in thanks to God - saying they are 'eating grass' is outrageous.

"I am stunned - seeing this makes me sick.

"He should apologise or be sacked by Al Jazeera. If someone makes the gesture of the cross and a commentator mocked them I would deem that equally offensive. Its not an outsider's right to belittle or mock players for making a religious gesture."

I'm all for saying he should apologise, he obviously should

but the "makes me sick" and "should be sacked" comments are ridiculous

I'm all for saying he should apologise, he obviously should

but the "makes me sick" and "should be sacked" comments are ridiculous

Well thats where it all starts...if theres youtube footage of this it'll kick off after prayers today in Leicster...see trophyshy's post :lol:

:lol: Angrier than the Imam!

He doesn't smoke or drink to be fair, he needs to let it out somehow. :unsure2:

(Linekar is a bit of a cock it has to said, though).

Edited by Howmanheyman

The standard of punditry on MOTD used to be appalling when I watched it years ago - Lineker, Shearer, Lawro, Hansen - complacent, lazy, cliched, uninformative and boring. Hope it's improved.

Off the cuff surely? He gets excited and still likes to get a bit childish with the jokes. But on Al-Jazz? Tricky. He's fully aware of what the celebrations are about imo, he saw Cisse and Ba doing it all last season ffs!

Off the cuff surely? He gets excited and still likes to get a bit childish with the jokes. But on Al-Jazz? Tricky. He's fully aware of what the celebrations are about imo, he saw Cisse and Ba doing it all last season ffs!

aye, I agree with J69 as well about the shitness of the apology.

It's a joke ffs, a not particularly funny or offensive one. Agree that the tip toing around the Muslims is becoming ridiculous. If they want to live in a multi cultural society they need to stop taking themselves so bloody seriously.

If someone had a joke at a player crossing his chest, there'd be a bit of a grumble from some fuddy duddies, but I'm pretty sure no one would have huge riots.

The islamic world needs to get a fucking grip.

You reckon it was a joke? I don't. He didn't even know what they were doing, that's why he said "I'm not aware of every player's religion."

I don't think this is anything "offensive" (extremely overused word), I just find myself dismayed at the ignorance of people who get paid to talk and haven't the faintest what they're talking about.

P.S. There haven't been "huge riots" or any riots at all over this as far as I know.

To be fair, he's not paid to talk about celebrations/prayers, he's paid to talk about football.

People calling for him to be fired need to get a grip, and grow up.

To be fair, he's not paid to talk about celebrations/prayers, he's paid to talk about football.

People calling for him to be fired need to get a grip, and grow up.

they do, on the other hand he could do with growing a pair and apologising properly, I don't think for a minute he didn't know what they were doing and that sorry excuse for an apology hes put out is worse than him holding his hands up imo