Newcastle sign four year shirt deal with ''Wonga''

Holden McGroin

From Guardian

"According to official figures, the north east has the highest personal insolvency rate of anywhere in the country, at 35.2 per 10,000 adults. This is compared to a rate of 29.6 in the North West and 17.5 in London.

"Wonga has chosen to target a region that has comparatively high numbers of people experiencing financial difficulty. Our experience tells us that many of those seeking high cost credit need professional advice for their financial problems, rather than accruing further debt."

I'm not surprised. The North East puts its shoulder to the wheel and gets to be debt slaves in return. I totally understand the mind set of the American revolutionaries who wanted to break free of the usury ponces in London.

Edited by Dr. Richard Kimble

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we'd been sponsored by Nestle would people have kicked up as much of a stink? Coca Cola? Nike?

The league we play in is sponsored by a bank who are culpable for the current financial crisis, nobody gives a shit about that because that institution is wrapped in a nice bow. Every advert we're bombarded by gurning idiots demanding we get to the computer and gamble on the sport, nobody complains about that.

Wonga is a company that preys upon the financially fucked and the naive. I know this is will be an unpopular opinion, but it's no secret that Wonga and all the other payday lenders are loan sharks, but it's open. It's not like nobody knows how dangerous it is to take out their loans. If you're in a situation where you have to take out that kind of loan, you've not got there overnight. Should there be a service provided by respectable banks (Hah!) or the government? Abso-fucking-lutely. But the way people are going on, it's like we've just announced a 4 year deal to be sponsored by the Tonton Macoute.

I'd much prefer to be sponsored by Ted Baker, but what're you gonna do?

If we'd been sponsored by Nestle would people have kicked up as much of a stink? Coca Cola? Nike?

The league we play in is sponsored by a bank who are culpable for the current financial crisis, nobody gives a shit about that because that institution is wrapped in a nice bow. Every advert we're bombarded by gurning idiots demanding we get to the computer and gamble on the sport, nobody complains about that.

Wonga is a company that preys upon the financially fucked and the naive. I know this is will be an unpopular opinion, but it's no secret that Wonga and all the other payday lenders are loan sharks, but it's open. It's not like nobody knows how dangerous it is to take out their loans. If you're in a situation where you have to take out that kind of loan, you've not got there overnight. Should there be a service provided by respectable banks (Hah!) or the government? Abso-fucking-lutely. But the way people are going on, it's like we've just announced a 4 year deal to be sponsored by the Tonton Macoute.

Very good point and I agree with that.

Decent blog.

http://ktd89.wordpre...ts-about-wonga/

Also, re: the return to St James'

I'm unmoved, I never called it SDA, most pundits and Journos continued to call it St James' Park, the biggest plus is going to be the removal of the Sports Direct logos.

Ashley is going to get his company's name mentioned in the national press for at least a week, as are Wonga. In their eyes it's a win win.

Edited by The Fish

So lets get this straight:

the club dump a sponsor run a guy that's planning to put people into space.

They then rplace him with wharf vermin that disease everyone they touch. I'm glad you're so cool as to not be pissed off by that.

If we're getting thing straight, lets do that, instead of getting things emotionally weighted.

Before people call Wonga loan sharks and moan about their sponsorship, have a think about what's around you. A car on finance maybe? a mortgage?

It's all a rip off and all it is , is percentages.

Vulnerable people go to loan sharks because they can't get it anywhere else. It's vicious but then again , for anyone in a bad situation financial wise, everything in life is vicious.

So lets get this straight:

the club dump a sponsor run a guy that's planning to put people into space.

They then rplace him with wharf vermin that disease everyone they touch. I'm glad you're so cool as to not be pissed off by that.

Doing it for free is he?

Absolutely spot on.

Btw In what sort of establishment, and where, does Mr Baker get his shit made ??

Guest Your Name Here

I suppose it's easy to dislike Wonga as they are immoral on the surface.

Other companies just hide it better.

Spot on. Though it doesn't change perceptions or the negative associations.

I'll happily put my form up against yours Rab C :lol: You and LBT need to decide whether I'm skinny or fat tbh

Away and fuck aff ya wee bawbag at ye are. I'd gladly put mine up against yours as well. I'm a skinny cunt nuw, well 15st, but that's skinny for my frame.

Care to expand on that absurd statement?

If you care about morality, why follow a sport where the stars are paid, by any measure, obscene amounts. surely £20k a week is more than enough, what's left could be given to the poor.

Morality and football not in the same hotel let alone in the same bed.

Stupid iPad !!! Re the pound nonsense

Edited by Toonpack

Away and fuck aff ya wee bawbag at ye are. I'd gladly put mine up against yours as well. I'm a skinny cunt nuw, well 15st, but that's skinny for my frame.

we've the makings of a J69 v Stevie swimsuit competition here

Guest Your Name Here

here's a general point; it seems popular these days to describe any point of view you disagree with as "immoral," when in many instances it has nothing to do with personal morality

Morals are about discerning right from wrong. Using your logic the holocaust wasn't immoral, just a difference of opinions.

we've the makings of a J69 v Stevie swimsuit competition here

:lol:

I'd challenge him to a light heavyweight contest if I didn't have a metal plate under my eye.

The owner of Wonga has just been on, South African, he said we've solved Newcastle's problem. Fuck knows what that means? We have a global fanbase of 6m allegedly, how is it a problem finding an adequate sponsor?

You can all stop comparing sizes and body frames, whether boasting or not.

The simple case is, nobody beats Gemmill and even though I saw him with his red rum legs on a pic he has grown up into a fine Giraffe. Beat that.

Wonga is a fine helpful company, it's little old ladies and Earl who sit there and lend out their pension money to hard up people, whilst they sip tea and stuff.

We should be glad, although there will be a bit of a stench of piss from them wafting about the stadium, should they turn up kitted out in their Toon tops.