Newcastle sign four year shirt deal with ''Wonga''

Holden McGroin

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they really changing the name of the stadium to it's actual title? Blyme.

Whilst I don't approve of Wonga as a company, if they're investing money in the club and that money is subsequently reinvested accordingly then I have no trouble with them sponsoring the club.

We've had Northern Rock and Newcastle Brown Ale in recent times so can't really complain about advertising morally suspect brands...

As per Dekka's statement I'd still like to know what this commercial partnership with Sports Direct is. As I haven't seen anything mentioned about what financial benefits us as a club are receiving.

:lol: people that can't see past this ludicrous PR stunt.

That's the whole point man! It IS a PR stunt - that's all it obviously was ever intended to be when he renamed it last year. The majority of the fanbase will rejoice at them bringing the real name back.

Football fans are fickle - Ashley knows this and has played it a treat in that respect.

Thank fuck they've done the right thing and the stadium has its proper name again. I wonder if that means Wonga signage on the roof though in place of SD

depends if they want it, if they continue playing the PR they'll have the SD removed and leave it clear

Personally I'm not sure it's a PR stunt at all. More to do with Wonga wanting the removal of the name SDA from the stadium as it dilutes their position as main club sponsor which they're paying a lot of money for.

Either way I'm happy.

:lol: people that can't see past this ludicrous PR stunt.

The shirt plus stadium deal was banded about at £10m a year. They've probably said we'll pay £8m a year and no more, and come to an agreement that the stadium reverts to SJP. A PR triumph for Ashley, and a PR triumph for Wonga, straight away seen as the good guys, and won't face any outpouring of negativity towards renaming a 120 year old stadium. There are some gullible fuckers out there. Toonpack just fuck off pal. I'd love to meet you to see if you're this much of a cunt in person. Ashley could open concentration camps and you'd find some positive words for the fat cunt.

Not at all, please feel free to repudiate what I've stated, with facts, and I'll listen.

Fail to see what it is I've said that's inflamatory in any way tbh

Wonga are a set of horrible bastards and we only ever called it SJP anyway but I'm hoping we at least get those fucking signs down.

We may well have done but commercially people were starting to call it the Sports Direct Arena, its a good move by them to rename it back imo, dont quite see how anyone can complain on that front.

By everything that is holy I Parkenstein beseech any god or gods real or imagined to strike down Wonga. I will meet my obligations if said act is carried out in the holy places and by the moon of my ancestors.

Parky.

Its looking like we've all been played, draw the sting of the fans abuse with the whole "arena" thing, then slide in an even more odious sponsor, who changes the name back again.

Thing is about Ashley, theres always a sting in the tail.

Can Wonga tag their name on to the stadium after a couple of seasons?...the journos had better have asked them that.

He's usually incapable of making 2 good decisions in a row, he needs to spend some fuckin money in January or all this good PR will be wasted.

Its looking like we've all been played, draw the sting of the fans abuse with the whole "arena" thing, then slide in an even more odious sponsor, who changes the name back again.

Thing is about Ashley, theres always a sting in the tail.

Can Wonga tag their name on to the stadium after a couple of seasons?...the journos had better have asked them that.

He's usually incapable of making 2 good decisions in a row, he needs to spend some fuckin money in January or all this good PR will be wasted.

you're absolutely right, it needs to find its way to the pitch now.

Personally I'm not sure it's a PR stunt at all. More to do with Wonga wanting the removal of the name SDA from the stadium as it dilutes their position as main club sponsor which they're paying a lot of money for.

Either way I'm happy.

Well why not call it the Wonga Stadium if that's entirely the case?

I welcome the academy investment and fan participation in shirt design BTW.

Mind you all the latter will be is 6 designs being posted on NUFC.co.uk and a vote system being put in place - wide open for abuse from Mackems....

Stevie / Parky, can you post up links to these stories of people's lives being destroyed by pay day lenders? You both make strong cases but without backing it up with any actual anecdotes or examples of where this is actually happpening. I think they are morally dubious at best and i am sure there are example of people getting trapped i jut wonder hos prevalent it is. I think they are exploiting a niche in the market and its become and massive business for them. I will go off and get the evidence to show how gambling and drinking destroys lives and then we can compare notes later. To settle it, print off all the data, hoy it doon the stairs and whoever's dossier makes the biggest racket, wins.

Sound fair?

Lee Ryder ‏@lee_ryder

St James' Park signs will be put back in place on Barrack Road in the coming days #nufc

I bet there's a big fanfare about it all. All Hail King Mike.

Stevie / Parky, can you post up links to these stories of people's lives being destroyed by pay day lenders? You both make strong cases but without backing it up with any actual anecdotes or examples of where this is actually happpening. I think they are morally dubious at best and i am sure there are example of people getting trapped i jut wonder hos prevalent it is. I think they are exploiting a niche in the market and its become and massive business for them. I will go off and get the evidence to show how gambling and drinking destroys lives and then we can compare notes later. To settle it, print off all the data, hoy it doon the stairs and whoever's dossier makes the biggest racket, wins.

Sound fair?

I have two cousins who work for CCCS the debt counselling service and some of the stories I have heard from them about such companies is horrific.

Have a look on Money Saving Expert.