Disney buys Lucasfilms(/Star Wars)

ADP

Since seeing force awakens I've looked back on it and the more I think about it the less I think of the film. I completely agree it was better than the prequels, but tbh thus proves nothing. The move away from green screen CGI was certainly welcome. But let's be honest, the plot was awful as was the main nemesis. It was less a sequel and more just a reboot. Enjoyable enough but ultimately the emperor's new clothes may have been a more apt title. They might be able to get away with it once but there needs to be some serious investment in creativity if this is to hold most people's interest.

Way I see it Force Awakens has used to get old and new audiences back into the swing of the originals' reality. Gone are the huge CGI set pieces (pod race/Gungan v droid army/etc.) back come real effects, gone are the trade disputes and geo-politics, back comes the easy dialogue and wit of the originals, gone is the shiny and new, back comes the knackered and battered.

I'd hope that Episode VIII will take the storylines on a bit, now that it doesn't need to reestablish the reality in which Star Wars exists.

Would've been more believable if you'd done it before I picked up on it. Nice try

i'm serious, believe what you want.

it was going on your previous comments in this thread. i suspected my star wars fanboy side would only increase your general view of me: a hipster hoverboard/shoreditch twat/self-facilitating media node, in other words.

edit - i'm only some of those things, for the record. guilty as charged on the star wars dorkery though.

Edited by Dr Gloom

The DVD is out now isn't it? So anyone wanting to watch Force Awakens on something like Kodi will now be able to find HD versions.

Oh, be on the Kodi?

The DVD is out now isn't it? So anyone wanting to watch Force Awakens on something like Kodi will now be able to find HD versions.

:aye:

Checked it's availability last night. Seems to be plenty of options.

I know this should probably go in the Kodi thread, but I can't seem to get the screen size right. It initially loads in letter box which isn't ideal (too much space above and either side), all the zooms crop too much of the sides or distort it too much. Any suggestions?

I know this should probably go in the Kodi thread, but I can't seem to get the screen size right. It initially loads in letter box which isn't ideal (too much space above and either side), all the zooms crop too much of the sides or distort it too much. Any suggestions?

Depends what you are using to watch?

Since seeing force awakens I've looked back on it and the more I think about it the less I think of the film. I completely agree it was better than the prequels, but tbh thus proves nothing. The move away from green screen CGI was certainly welcome. But let's be honest, the plot was awful as was the main nemesis. It was less a sequel and more just a reboot. Enjoyable enough but ultimately the emperor's new clothes may have been a more apt title. They might be able to get away with it once but there needs to be some serious investment in creativity if this is to hold most people's interest.

it was a blatant re-boot of a new hope. they won't get away with another one like that. it has to develop some original plotlines. nostalgia alone won't carry it, but i thought it was a prefect return to the tone of the first films.

i liked kylo ren's tantrums and some of the new touches, like his ability to use the force to read minds.

he was a bit of a pussy though. for someone trained in the dark side, he struggled to see off a deserter storm trooper with a light sabre and a force sensitive bird with zero training.

I watched A New Hope for the first time in years with the bairn the other day... well the first 20 minutes until his attention span waned. He's not 3 yet though, so that's not a criticism of the film, he was loving the robots and spaceships for a while.

Couldn't believe how ropey it looked to my eye though, my memory was that the production value was top notch across the board, but some of the costumes with different colour buttons sewn on and that or the hangars where they only light the actors and ships and it's just complete darkness behind them looked cheap as owt.

Goes to show how much imagination filled in the gaps as a youngster.

Funny that. My daughter obviously hears about it at school and asks about it so we watched the first hour of New Hope last weekend. Did find a very HD version - didnt Lucas keep tweaking it and releasing new / better versions on DVD? I think the one we watched was one of these.

Thought it was interesting (but probably isnt at all) that she thought all the characters have numbers in their names (as the main ones do for most of the start of the film). She asked 'what number is Luke?'.

Funny that. My daughter obviously hears about it at school and asks about it so we watched the first hour of New Hope last weekend. Did find a very HD version - didnt Lucas keep tweaking it and releasing new / better versions on DVD? I think the one we watched was one of these.

Thought it was interesting (but probably isnt at all) that she thought all the characters have numbers in their names (as the main ones do for most of the start of the film). She asked 'what number is Luke?'.

Do they? Can only think of the robots and Obi ~One~ Kenobi.

Who am I missing?

i tell you what, i'll definitely flag the next time i post something i reckon will get on your tits - see if i can pre-empt your reply.

I don't think you've thought that one through

Yeah, buy it on DVD or Blu Ray, seriously.

Yeah, buy it on DVD or Blu Ray, seriously.

Not released until 18th, and will cost me £15

I can watch it tonight for nothing.

You sir, are a maniac.

Not released until 18th, and will cost me £15

I can watch it tonight for nothing.

You sir, are a maniac.

Hardly, you're complaining about picture quality and faffing around with Kodi and your telly. Surely easier just to wait a week and buy it to ensure perfect quality without any hassle, with bonus material etc.

Hardly, you're complaining about picture quality and faffing around with Kodi and your telly. Surely easier just to wait a week and buy it to ensure perfect quality without any hassle, with bonus material etc.

I can take 5-10 minutes worth of faffing to save me £15.

Plus, when I'm stealing... why that's the only time I really feel alive.

Edited by The Fish

I've already paid to see it twice. I'm fucked if I'm going to pay to see it again.

Actually I'm not gonna watch it again, just wanted to say something that might annoy SAG/Equity member Renton.

I've already paid to see it twice. I'm fucked if I'm going to pay to see it again.

Actually I'm not gonna watch it again, just wanted to say something that might annoy SAG/Equity member Renton.

I'll probably end up buying the Blu Ray because I really enjoyed it, don't tell Rents though. But I want to watch the film this weekend while I've got an empty house :ok:

Edited by The Fish