Newcastle United V Reading

Christmas Tree

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4-5-1 with Pogrebnyak up front on his own. Le Fondre comes on in the second half and it's 4-4-2 if the team are trailing.

Given his previous performances, McCleary will feature. He's the player who creates chances. Pacey and puts dangerous balls in. If Reading go down I'd like to see him given a chance at a club like NUFC as I can't remember the last time I saw a winger like him.

Reading have scored the most goals in the final 15 minutes in the league I think, so it'll be nervy if there's only a goal in it. Honestly can't see NUFC not getting a win though. Reading are shambolic at the back (even with Stephen Kelly coming in) and McDermott insists on starting McAnuff and Kebe, who are both utter shite. It's only when McCleary comes on when Reading are actually decent going forward.

Cheers Brock, looks like we'll have no choice but to match them then, Cisse up top by himself. Should be a tight game.

Absolute must win. Anything but a victory is a disaster.

yup. these are the sorts of games you have to be winning if you want to stay up. worrying if we can't find enough to dispatch this lot at home.

On a scale of one to ten how annoyed would people be if Shola started up front in this?

I would probably be about an 8 I think.

Steven Taylor is apparently available, however don't see him being rushed back in by Pardew. I would welcome it, he at least offers a threat from set pieces and isn't afraid to take the ball forward if space opens. Other teams know they can hound Williamson and get the ball back through an aimless hoof.

If we are going to play passing football which we all prefer we'll need Tayor instead of Williamson - the latter looks like the ball is going to explode every time he gets it - whereas Taylor can do his Coloccini impression for a few seconds at least & move with the ball to find a pass.

Thinking about Taylor's threat from set pieces, I think the last time he actually scored was at the back end of the 2010/11 season, twice in quick succession. Although he's spent a fair amount of time since then injured again, he's still played in a decent number of games. Says something about the quality of set pieces in that time.

I doubt Taylor will be put straight back in. Pardew has praised Williamson on a few occasions. Fuck knows why!

Keegan used to do it all of the time with his players even if they weren't performing well.