How good was (Paul Bracewell)?

Tooj

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mirandinha.jpg

Somebody my dad described to me as the greediest player he's ever seen!

He wasn't far wrong, your Dad.

Liked a shot, wasn't too bothered where from. Gazza told him to say 'hairy Mott' to females as it was a compliment in English. :lol:

Edited by Howmanheyman

Just before Keegan took the job as Newcastle manager, he made a video called "Keegan's Greatest Newcastle XI". In it he picked who he thought was the greatest eleven to play for Newcastle, obviously :lol:

At right back he chose David Craig (not the doilum who comes on your Sky News arselicking Ashley). He played for the toon for 16 years, I don't know anything about him, but I've read stuff suggesting he was the best right back in English football, for people who saw him is this right?

0,,10278~10487253,00.jpg

That's a lush photo. Proper kits.

Did a lovely kung Fu kick on Dave Beasant as they walked off the field.

Not sure if it was the same game? but I was in the temp seats in the leazes, FA Cup I think, and could have sworn he spat at Beasant and then Beasant started to chase him out the box. :lol:

Edited by @yourservice

Was at OT when he scored two, great day.....not a classic manu side, Ralph Milne and Clayton Blackmore may well have played.....think Fergie had been there less than a year....

He woudlnt have passed you the salt over the table, and Mick Quinn was a better finisher....but what a signing to add a bit of colour and vibrancy to the club. Pedro leaving had been such a fuckin downer, for me anyway. Perked me up a treat. We were relegated the season after he signed, so not much changes....

Was at OT when he scored two, great day.....not a classic manu side, Ralph Milne and Clayton Blackmore may well have played.....think Fergie had been there less than a year....

He woudlnt have passed you the salt over the table, and Mick Quinn was a better finisher....but what a signing to add a bit of colour and vibrancy to the club. Pedro leaving had been such a fuckin downer, for me anyway. Perked me up a treat. We were relegated the season after he signed, so not much changes....

When he scored his two goals that day, he did an aeroplane celebration, he did as well. Bet Gazza put him up to it. The Man Utd fans might've thought he was taking the piss out of Munich.

He wouldn't pass, and he'd shoot from fucking anywhere 50 yards, 45 yards, he didn't care. People often exaggerate the distance a shot is from, but we played Liverpool at home in our relegation season, and honestly he shot from 45 yards, and hit the angle of post and cross bar, without doubt it would've been the best goal I've ever seen. He was a huffy twat though, him and Gascoigne rowed incessantly. I don't go along with the crack he was a flop because he did some good things here, but he wasn't top drawer, he could've been he just didn't have a football brain.

When he scored his two goals that day, he did an aeroplane celebration, he did as well. Bet Gazza put him up to it. The Man Utd fans might've thought he was taking the piss out of Munich.

He wouldn't pass, and he'd shoot from fucking anywhere 50 yards, 45 yards, he didn't care. People often exaggerate the distance a shot is from, but we played Liverpool at home in our relegation season, and honestly he shot from 45 yards, and hit the angle of post and cross bar, without doubt it would've been the best goal I've ever seen. He was a huffy twat though, him and Gascoigne rowed incessantly. I don't go along with the crack he was a flop because he did some good things here, but he wasn't top drawer, he could've been he just didn't have a football brain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOfVlGlFtaE

5:40.....he's at least twice the size of the penalty box out....dfficult to tell exactly how far....looking at that game now seems a bit unreal...some of our defending was like this season mind so thats not unusual looking at out league posistion.

Edited by PaddockLad

Jim Smith's autobiography has some cracking stuff about Mira in it. Used to come into his office regularly and ask that money be sent home immediately to the pig farm back in Brazil his family ran. Also used to sub himself when he was tired. :lol:

I'd forgotten that Roeder was still there in the relegation season (a season that started similar to this season with optimism although we'd actually spent money that summer it's just the players we spent it on generally were shit or played that way for us!).

Mira was exactly what everyone else has said, able to do some exceptional things but more often than not very ordinary or downright shite. And by far the most selfish player I've ever seen.

He's worthy of being looked at as a cult player for his moments of brilliance combined with sheer lunacy (like Ketsbia) but shouldn't be mistaken for a top player.

Quality player Bracewell. Slightly past his best by the time he arrived with us but still a majestic passer of the ball. He was a bit like a Glen Hoddle that could tackle.

Played his best football at Everton where he won two league championships in a midfield four alongside Sheedy, Reid and Steven. Would have gone to the Mexico World Cup if it wasn't for injury.

He was NOTHING like Glenn Hoddle at all so completely disregard what Dr Gloom said. He scored 20 goals in 600 games ffs, Hoddle was almost a one in four man. One was a majestic creator, the other was a sit in continuity man. In terms of a midfielder I can't think of a worse comparison, he was far more like Ronnie Whelan or Stefen Freund. Bracewell was finished when he signed for Newcastle. He was a top player for Everton in the mid 80s without a doubt, and tactically even with us he was good, but he couldn't run. That said he was still good enough to play in the second tier, and his highlight came 8 minutes in to his Newcastle career with an absolute screamer against Southend with his wrong foot too.

Edited by McFaul

Gloom is right about his passing ability being comparable to Hoddle, but its also right to say he was nowhere near as offensive, probably played 10 yards further back on the park than Hoddle which changes your passing options in general, but you've still got to find a player and that was something Bracewell almost always did, quite often seeking out Scott Sellars on the left. Lack of pace left him short of true top quality even at his peak for Everton and he had horrendous luck with injuries.

Its a sign of the times that with a bit of pace he'd be marked down by the media as a future England captain if he was 21 in 2013. Look at his peer group and compare it to the paucity of talent nowadays among young English midfileders...obviously Hoddle,Bryan Robson, his teamates Kevin Richardson and Peter Reid, Paul Davis at Arsenal was another criminally underrated player, Ray Wilkins was still around and probably got his gig in Mexico in 86 as Gloom mentioned,Steve McMahon, Gazza and David Platt were beginning to come through. Not a lot of those types around nowadays.

He was NOTHING like Glenn Hoddle at all so completely disregard what Dr Gloom said. He scored 20 goals in 600 games ffs, Hoddle was almost a one in four man. One was a majestic creator, the other was a sit in continuity man. In terms of a midfielder I can't think of a worse comparison, he was far more like Ronnie Whelan or Stefen Freund. Bracewell was finished when he signed for Newcastle. He was a top player for Everton in the mid 80s without a doubt, and tactically even with us he was good, but he couldn't run. That said he was still good enough to play in the second tier, and his highlight came 8 minutes in to his Newcastle career with an absolute screamer against Southend with his wrong foot too.

I was talking about his passing range dipshit.

I was talking about his passing range dipshit.

You didn't say that though you said he was a bit like a Glenn Hoddle who could tackle. That's a sweeping statement. Glenn Hoddle made goals and scored goals, Bracewell very rarely made goals, he gave the ball to people who could and as his record shows scored 1 in every 30 games throughout his career.