Europe --- In or Out

Christmas Tree

Europe?  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, PaddockLad said:

One of Owen  Jones's "outriders".  They're sooooooo ANTI ESTABLISMENT! :glare:

Absolutely. A 'libertarian' who applies his right-wing agenda to literally everything

1 minute ago, SpaceCadet said:

Perhaps "offend" isn't the right word but the most prepostorous ammendments are the ones limiting minister's the power to slash red tape without approval of parliament and that legal challenges could be made if our laws don't match that of the EU. 

So the idea of parliamentary sovereignty is preposterous? I thought that's what Brexit was all about?

• Haha 1

Whether this vote has any consequences for the Tories, I'm not sure. I'm tempted to say it doesn't really since their position on this is actually clear. If Corbyn joins the government in opposing the single market however, Labour are dead. If he can make a compelling case for staying in by pointing the finger at the Tories and noting how poorly this has been handled (and I really think a narrative can be forged around that point given how woolly all the solutions put forward so far have been) then he will win the backing of the majority of his party, and unite the centrists and the leftists within Labour around a single cause.

The membership will back him comfortably, the local elections seem to show that the collapse of UKIP has sent people to the Tories anyway so it's hard to argue that he even has much to gain there.

The only thing I noticed when reading up on this is that a number of his policies would be difficult to achieve under EU rulings (state interference in the economy, etc). Maybe that's in his mind - but it isn't worth the collapse of everything else, party and country alike.

1 minute ago, SpaceCadet said:

Yes. Free of all outside interference, from lobbyists and other unelected officials.

:lol: It was the outside interests and unelected officials wot won Brexit.

9 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

The only thing I noticed when reading up on this is that a number of his policies would be difficult to achieve under EU rulings (state interference in the economy, etc). Maybe that's in his mind - but it isn't worth the collapse of everything else, party and country alike.

Which policies?

5 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

It’s fair to say the remainer revolt has really fucked the country :(

Well, that or Brexit itself.

Although tbh CT, how has the Remainer revolt fucked the country? What has happened because of Remainers that has made the situation worse?

Edited by Rayvin

Just now, ewerk said:

Which policies?

Yeah I don't know, but the Guardian made the claim - that's all I meant:

But the leadership will now have to face the tension between its strongly pro-remain rank and file membership, its largely pro-remain MPs and the policy consequences of remaining in any arrangement with Europe such as the EEA, which limits its plans for greater state involvement in the economy.

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Yeah I don't know, but the Guardian made the claim - that's all I meant:

But the leadership will now have to face the tension between its strongly pro-remain rank and file membership, its largely pro-remain MPs and the policy consequences of remaining in any arrangement with Europe such as the EEA, which limits its plans for greater state involvement in the economy.

This is worth a read that shows Corbyn's fears to largely be pointless.

http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2018/02/27/corbyn-on-state-aid-fact-checked

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Well, that or Brexit itself.

Although tbh CT, how has the Remainer revolt fucked the country? What has happened because of Remainers that has made the situation worse?

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say he's on the wind-up

15 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

It’s fair to say that Cameron's decision to hold a Brexit referendum has fucked the country :(

FYP

2 minutes ago, SpaceCadet said:

Not even Diane Abbott could argue with those figures :lol:

There you go with the Diane Abbot thing again.

What is it about that particular politician, compared to say Phillip Hammond who once missed his mark by  20 billion during a TV interview that you like to pick on so much? 

2 minutes ago, SpaceCadet said:

Mr Hammond is our very own Diane Abbott. If it were upto me I'd switch him with Steve Baker in a heartbeat.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, SpaceCadet said:

Mr Hammond is our very own Diane Abbott. If it were upto me I'd switch him with Steve Baker in a heartbeat.

You've answered a different question there fella.

47 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

It’s fair to say the remainer revolt has really fucked the country :(

Dont ever change CT :lol:

your so so much better than this fuckin yam yam bell end...