Yohan Cabaye

Anorthernsoul

Ok. Marginally profitable rather than unprofitable.

Generating a big chunk of revenue but pennies in profit is not worth the effort.

It's still not a pretty picture, as there is no way the catering revenue was enough to explain the level of decline.

Catering and bar work was outsourced during that period, which explains a large chunk of the decline.

It's still not a pretty picture, as there is no way the catering revenue was enough to explain the level of decline.

:scratchhead:

I disagree with Happy Face's assertion that because Sunderland's commercial income has risen, there was no regional economic impact explaining the fall.

This may be wrong for a number of reasons. At the height of the commercial income performance for us around 2005 to 2007, Sunderland's was non existant. During that time out corporate boxes were occupied by companies like Northern Rock and Sanofi Synthelabo (now Sanofi). I pick these two out because both have gone through huge changes since 2007, NR we all know about. Companies like Sanofi have drastically reduced their workforce in the north east since that period. Both examples show companies with massive global reach and resources who were once spending millions on corporate entertainment at SJP who now spend nothing on these things in the north east if at all. Sunderland never had that and their income which has grown has done so modestly from a smaller base that was not exposed to the downturn in the global economy. Ours was.

I have put all the analysis on here before, we are £10m short in income after adjusting for the catering. The make up of that shortfall was the corporate expenditure and budgets which are the first to go in cost cutting exercises which were carried out en masse in 07, 08 and 09. There were none or much fewer global companies with massive corporate budgets at Sunderland (I doubt there any but I can't be arsed to check).

The fact that the club's commercial income suffered due to the financial crisis and recession should be obvious if you understand how that income was structured. None of the smaller clubs had the sort of corporate business we did back in the early 00s, they never had it to lose.

Overall the performance is bad but it accounts for a number of factors, one of which being the fact that an arsehole took over the club and people don't like giving money to arseholes.

I disagree with Happy Face's assertion that because Sunderland's commercial income has risen, there was no regional economic impact explaining the fall.

This may be wrong for a number of reasons. At the height of the commercial income performance for us around 2005 to 2007, Sunderland's was non existant. During that time out corporate boxes were occupied by companies like Northern Rock and Sanofi Synthelabo (now Sanofi). I pick these two out because both have gone through huge changes since 2007, NR we all know about. Companies like Sanofi have drastically reduced their workforce in the north east since that period. Both examples show companies with massive global reach and resources who were once spending millions on corporate entertainment at SJP who now spend nothing on these things in the north east if at all. Sunderland never had that and their income which has grown has done so modestly from a smaller base that was not exposed to the downturn in the global economy. Ours was.

I have put all the analysis on here before, we are £10m short in income after adjusting for the catering. The make up of that shortfall was the corporate expenditure and budgets which are the first to go in cost cutting exercises which were carried out en masse in 07, 08 and 09. There were none or much fewer global companies with massive corporate budgets at Sunderland (I doubt there any but I can't be arsed to check).

The fact that the club's commercial income suffered due to the financial crisis and recession should be obvious if you understand how that income was structured. None of the smaller clubs had the sort of corporate business we did back in the early 00s, they never had it to lose.

Overall the performance is bad but it accounts for a number of factors, one of which being the fact that an arsehole took over the club and people don't like giving money to arseholes.

Which accounts for the bribe of cheap tickets to entice/retain supporters to turn up who are sick of the biggest arsehole seen on Tyneside since Giant Haystacks split his crackas in a charity bout at Newcastle City Hall.*

*Last bit may not be true.

I wouldn't disagree with corporate money dropping. Its only one area though. The entire top tier is now a cut price family enclosure. I pay £hundreds less for my ticket in the gallowgate than whoever sat there before I moved in. Clearly there's a lot less advertising being sold as well.

I would also dispute how much of it was to do with the global downturn. After 2007 the reduction was a couple of million, which could well be explained by your argument. We were still pulling in £33m from match days in 2009 though. Then we were relegated. It only dropped the £10m you mention, where it remains, in our championship season.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Blanc said: "Cabaye and Pjanic are actually two our targets, they are two players we want."

Blanc continued: "They are similar, they have the same profile of a very technical midfielder.

"There are two alternatives, there is no choice of number one or number two.

"There are negotiations ongoing, but it's hard to complete them in January.

"I would be very happy to have a midfielder."