Yohan Cabaye

Anorthernsoul

Thanks, that's useful info - so we're saying that we wouldn't lose him for £6m, but between him and PSG they'd have to stump up whatever his market value was determined to be by an external panel. This might explain why PSG think they can offer fuck all for him. (£17m seems about right on the market, not taking into consideration his importance to us).

Although Cabaye wouldn't have to pay for this himself according to the article..

Edited by Rayvin

We have no reason at all to sell at this point. There is no footballing logic behind selling your best midfielder and maybe best player at the end of the January transfer window when he has 2 years left on his contract, it's a World Cup year, and we're in eighth and still in with a chance at Europe, and we don't have a replacement ready.

We literally hold all the cards. Money isn't even a good enough reason. If he has a good end to the season and a good WC (and why wouldn't he, his class is plain for all to see) his value could easily top 25m.

Channelling Freddie Mercury: No, no, no, no, no, no, NO!

excellent post. most football clubs would operate this way. regrettably, we are not most football clubs.

Then maybe we should have a sit-down with him (without JFK at the table - there must be somebody else at the club who has the power to talk straight business with a player) and tell him we will not stand in his way in the summer, but he needs to honour his commitment to us until then and that's the end of it. If we promise him we'll sell in the summer, why would he pay the reported 6m out of his own pocket (does he even have that lump sum lying around?) and go for nothing?

Agree with this, entirely. Look at Everton, who held on to Baines despite knowing that they'd likely never get a higher fee for him. Selling him was just out of the question, no consideration given to the financial aspects of retaining him. He's now signed a new contract. Keeping Cabaye, and adding a striker, gives us our best possible chance of a top six finish. But, I doubt that has come into anyone's thinking, at the club.

Judging by the tweets from the presser, he's as good as gone. Norwich should be his swansong. I'll be fucking gutted to see him go. On his day, possibly one of the very best midfielders in the world. Certainly one of the best to watch.

Unfortunately, this is just what we are under our owner. Our model is to buy low, then sell at their peak. Retain Premier League status, and keep rebuilding to sell again. It's shit.

Agree with this, entirely. Look at Everton, who held on to Baines despite knowing that they'd likely never get a higher fee for him. Selling him was just out of the question, no consideration given to the financial aspects of retaining him. He's now signed a new contract. Keeping Cabaye, and adding a striker, gives us our best possible chance of a top six finish. But, I doubt that has come into anyone's thinking, at the club.

Judging by the tweets from the presser, he's as good as gone. Norwich should be his swansong. I'll be fucking gutted to see him go. On his day, possibly one of the very best midfielders in the world. Certainly one of the best to watch.

Unfortunately, this is just what we are under our owner. Our model is to buy low, then sell at their peak. Retain Premier League status, and keep rebuilding to sell again. It's shit.

Spurs have been doing similar for ages.

They've sold Modric, Bale, Berbatov and Keane in successive seasons. Pretty much their best player every season.

On top of that this season they've bought badly...Lamela, Chadli and the Danish bloke will take a while to make an impact for them..I don't rate Chadli at all btw..On the other two the jury is still out (That's 50m odd right there).

Edited by Park Life

It isn't, as evidenced in August.

I think were further on now he may have thought that after not being able to get away in August he'd be off first chance he got. Obviously it's all guess work on our behalf but unless we hear that he intends to see out the season I can see him being away this week.

:up:

Spurs have been doing similar for ages.

They've sold Modric, Bale, Berbatov and Keane in successive seasons. Pretty much their best player every season.

On top of that this season they've bought badly...Lamela, Chadli and the Danish bloke will take a while to make an impact for them..I don't rate Chadli at all btw..On the other two the jury is still out (That's 50m odd right there).

To be fair, they were all for absolutely ridiculous fees. Have any of the figures mentioned so far been well above what you would consider Cabaye's value to us? It's also the world's richest club that we're doing business with. From a position of relative strength, too.

To be fair, they were all for absolutely ridiculous fees. Have any of the figures mentioned so far been well above what you would consider Cabaye's value to us? It's also the world's richest club that we're doing business with. From a position of relative strength, too.

Oh I totally agree with your sentiments and I think he'll end up going for around 20m which is about right. I wouldn't sell him for less. The other thing with Cabaye is that he has made it known he wants to leave which severely hampers our bargaining position...Like RVP, even Arsenal couldn't keep him. When they make it clear they want out it's time to take the money before the value goes down or it starts to affect team morale. Don't think the Baines thing is a fair comparison as Everton had already banked the Felliani money which put a different light on things.

Edited by Park Life

I'm not sure £20m is 'about right', like. In a perfect world, where players only went for their 'true' value, and there were never mitigating factors, that'd probably be his price. However, we're now in a position of relative strength, midway through the season, with the player contracted for two and a half more years. Why aren't we demanding £35m to even enter negotiations? Because, we want to sell. That's what weakens us. Cabaye knows it, and PSG know it. That should never be the case for this club.

Unfortunately contracts mean nothing these days when players indicate they want to leave. It was only a short time ago he made some kind of stand cause we didn't take 10m from Arsenal. Now that would have been criminal but to our credit we turned it down flat. I do agree however that our attitude as a club is also partly to blame for this scenario..

The club have got to play this right. The mackem game couldn't have really come at a worst time. Sell our best player this week then we go into a derby game lacking a bit of belief..whilst giving our opposition more belief. Obviously the hope is we hold out and don't sell him...but then we might have someone going into a derby not focused as he wants to be away. Or not play at all, which would take us back to my first point.

I expect there to be hell on if he leaves late Friday window with no replacement, especially if the unwashed then score. It could get nasty. Of course, if we sell him and then stuff the mackems it will have been some sort of genius master stroke or something.

Who says that we have entered negotiations. PSG have submitted a bid, there's nothing to say that we've had any sort of discussion with them.

Yeah, fair enough, it is all speculation at this point. Really though, I think the writing was on the wall with this from the first rejected bid.

Thats just it. this is nothing like selling AC for £35M. That was a fucking steal. Most were pissed off selling AC because of the timing and we didnt have a replacement (still fucking dont...) but as far as being a good deal goes, it was one of the best we've done.

This is different. AC was replaceable for much much less. While YC may be replaceable it will be hard to get someone of his ability for circa £10M. Which is what I could imagine us doing.

I'll be gutted him leaving like, in fact Id go as far as to say it will be the worst sale fat fuck has made as far as being detrimental to the playing fortune of the club. Demba Ba aside who forced our hand.

He's a very good player who is tied to the club until he's 30, so the cards are all in our hands!

In my opinion 25m will let us push on to the next level.

Sissoko can play centrally and HBA out wide. We wouldnt be that worse off!

With players like Ince floating around on the cheap, we'd be mad not to take the money.

We'd be a lot worse off without a replacement, which is what's about to happen. 7 goals this season from midfield, our second top scorer. Where on earth do you think those goals are going to come from without him? Tiote, Anita, or Sissoko? Ben Arfa who barely plays? Our non-scoring duo of Ameobi and Cisse - when was the last time either of them scored from open play?

He almost beat West Ham on his own. We simply don't have players of that quality lining up to play for us. We need time to scout a proper replacement (which obviously should've been done from the summer but wasn't) and that means we cannot have another Carroll situation on our hands if we are to produce anything whatsoever this season except another uninspiring mid-table finish.

We simply must tell PSG to fuck off. At this point, so late in the window, there is no other legitimate option that makes sense from a footballing perspective. You say take the money, but spend it on who? Is there some list of transfer targets all ready to sign for NUFC if we sell Cabaye? Compare it to the equally obvious and protracted sale of Bale this summer - Tottenham brought in players that they never would have signed without Bale's departure. Some of those players have not worked out so far, but the logic behind their transfer policy was undeniable. We are not ready to do the same. If we sell Cabaye, we'll not replace him, the money will be promised to "improve the squad" later on, and will disappear into Fat Mike's pocket never to be seen again, just like the Carroll money.

He's a very good player who is tied to the club until he's 30, so the cards are all in our hands!

In my opinion 25m will let us push on to the next level.

Sissoko can play centrally and HBA out wide. We wouldnt be that worse off!

With players like Ince floating around on the cheap, we'd be mad not to take the money.

You're making the massive mistake of believing that the £25m will be reinvested into the squad. I wouldn't be so sure.

We simply must tell PSG to fuck off.

Agree with a lot of what you have said mate, some good posts and points made. Particularly pertinent, and perhaps what it all amounts to, is the above.

Edited by ADP

We'd be a lot worse off without a replacement, which is what's about to happen. 7 goals this season from midfield, our second top scorer. Where on earth do you think those goals are going to come from without him? Tiote, Anita, or Sissoko? Ben Arfa who barely plays? Our non-scoring duo of Ameobi and Cisse - when was the last time either of them scored from open play?

He almost beat West Ham on his own. We simply don't have players of that quality lining up to play for us. We need time to scout a proper replacement (which obviously should've been done from the summer but wasn't) and that means we cannot have another Carroll situation on our hands if we are to produce anything whatsoever this season except another uninspiring mid-table finish.

We simply must tell PSG to fuck off. At this point, so late in the window, there is no other legitimate option that makes sense from a footballing perspective. You say take the money, but spend it on who? Is there some list of transfer targets all ready to sign for NUFC if we sell Cabaye? Compare it to the equally obvious and protracted sale of Bale this summer - Tottenham brought in players that they never would have signed without Bale's departure. Some of those players have not worked out so far, but the logic behind their transfer policy was undeniable. We are not ready to do the same. If we sell Cabaye, we'll not replace him, the money will be promised to "improve the squad" later on, and will disappear into Fat Mike's pocket never to be seen again, just like the Carroll money.

Did you see HBA vs Fulham?

if selling Cabaye would allow Sissoko to go centrally and HBA to play, I really dont see us being that much weaker.

I've seen HBA win us as many games as Cabaye this season with half the amount of starts.

With players like Cabrella and Afellay available this window it "could" work out in our favour.