Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt

Christmas Tree

This from the Mag more lies from Charnley & Ashley 

Back in 2013 when it was announced we were told (see below):

This is a hugely exciting development for Newcastle United. We have one of football’s great stadiums and we are delighted to now be announcing plans for a training complex which will rival any in Europe.

“Top players and top teams need top training and medical facilities. Our current training ground has served the Club very well but the new complex will give us all of the ingredients that we need to continue maintaining and enhancing the performance of elite footballers.

“It will also be an added attraction when we are looking to recruit players.”

Now this from Charnley 

Lee Charnley 18 April 2019 – as reported by Martin Hardy (one of a number of selected journalists invited to speak to Lee Charnley):

“We are looking at a training ground building project that is potentially going to be between £15 m and £20million.

“If you were to ask me now, do I think we are best served spending that on a new training facility or spending it on improving the team, now, today in the short-term, I think that money is best spent on the team.

“We have revisited the plans that came out and we now have a different design. We have also got a different build structure.

“In my experience, has a player turned round and said I’m not signing for Newcastle United because of your training facilities? No. Did it stop us getting promoted out of the Championship, did it stop us finishing tenth, did it stop us having a good season this season? No.

“Is it something at some point in the future, if we could and it was the right time to spend the money, we would look at improving? Yes.”

Rafa's never going to get what he wants & needs off these idiots 

Here's the link to the full article

https://www.themag.co.uk/2019/04/must-read-mike-ashley-and-lee-charnley-shameless-with-training-ground-comments-newcastle-united/

Edited by trooper

17 minutes ago, trooper said:

did it stop us finishing tenth, did it stop us having a good season this season? No.

Well that speaks volumes. We're 15th and he's calling that a good season.

• Like 1

On 18/04/2019 at 22:30, PaddockLad said:

Not that it’s anything anyone with a football pulse didn’t know but talk about literally giving the game away. Barely surviving is a good season and the cunt running the whole shebang told local journalists he’s happy with that. Probably would’ve sad the same had  his wages not been recently doubled too. 

He’s only saying in public what Ashley has been saying off the record to anyone who will listen 

• Like 1

Charnley's statement just reinforces my decision not to go back till that cancer fucks off from our club. I'd love to see the day he's gone and would happily see the likes of Charnley marched around the town in a pillory getting rotten fruit pelted at them. 

• Like 1

it’s not like Rafa is making ridiculous demands. He just wants to compete with and try to beat those teams above like Watford, Leicester, Wolves.. All it takes is a few quality signings and paying the wages that those type of players need. It’s not like we are Bournemouth with an 11,000 capacity ground. According to articles online we were 19th richest club in the world recently. Maybe hard to believe but come on man.. just give Rafa the backing he needs and he’d stay..

Edited by zerosum
  • Like 1

Until I hear Bournemouth have fell into a financial problem (while in the PL) it’s impossible for me to give Charnley and Ashley’s utter twaddle about financial restraint even remotely plausible.

As zerosum says Bournemouth is a club which struggles for gates basically a third of our average, they’re making nowt compared to NUFC domestically or Internationally through tickets/merchandise. I think a good chunk of their squad cost more than Almiron, and even if you take them out there won’t be many that are as cheap as our usual penny pinching signings. If they can fund all that and be fine then there’s no reason whatsoever NUFC can’t match their spending. 

• Like 3

Lee Charnley has said about permanent Rondon deal

Firstly, he’s not our player so he will go back to West Brom and both he and his club will then decide on his future.

Having said that, we haven’t ruled out trying to sign him but any deal would have to suit all parties.

Looks like farewell Rondon.

Edited by trooper

26 minutes ago, Howay said:

Until I hear Bournemouth have fell into a financial problem (while in the PL) it’s impossible for me to give Charnley and Ashley’s utter twaddle about financial restraint even remotely plausible.

As zerosum says Bournemouth is a club which struggles for gates basically a third of our average, they’re making nowt compared to NUFC domestically or Internationally through tickets/merchandise. I think a good chunk of their squad cost more than Almiron, and even if you take them out there won’t be many that are as cheap as our usual penny pinching signings. If they can fund all that and be fine then there’s no reason whatsoever NUFC can’t match their spending. 

Don't we already know the answer to this though? I'm sure I read that Ashley took about £30m or so out of the club to pay back his loan. Realistically, that £30m is worth about one decent player. And sure, it'd be nice to have that guy but this season I'm not sure what difference it would have made for us. This shitshow will continue until Ashley fucks off, and us losing a £30m player this season might well mean we're £30m closer to the club being sold. I appreciate this is wishful thinking that will be undone the moment we get relegated once Rafa goes, but it's what I'm trying to cling to.

If they can somehow keep Rafa with this promise of £50m, then actually I'm thinking that we may well see the back of Ashley under Rafa.

20 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Don't we already know the answer to this though? I'm sure I read that Ashley took about £30m or so out of the club to pay back his loan. Realistically, that £30m is worth about one decent player. And sure, it'd be nice to have that guy but this season I'm not sure what difference it would have made for us. This shitshow will continue until Ashley fucks off, and us losing a £30m player this season might well mean we're £30m closer to the club being sold. I appreciate this is wishful thinking that will be undone the moment we get relegated once Rafa goes, but it's what I'm trying to cling to.

If they can somehow keep Rafa with this promise of £50m, then actually I'm thinking that we may well see the back of Ashley under Rafa.

I absolutely know the reason I was just pointing to the Bournemouth example as further evidence that what they’re saying is utter shite. Iirc KD quoted it as being £33m into Ashley’s pocket, which as you say would buy us a good player, or we could equal our prior record signing twice. I think if you’d have given Rafa a £30m midfielder, or two £15m ones we’d easily be challenging for “best of the rest” and would not have been discussing relegation all year. I agree that paying the Ashley ‘loan’ would be a potential positive but as you say it is wishful, it’ll be added back on at some point in the near future. 

The issue is the £50m isn’t £50m, it’ll include wages and if you sign one player on £50k a week for 5 year that’s £13m, you also have to add in his agents fee for the transfer and any other bollocks.

Edited by Howay

4 minutes ago, Howay said:

I absolutely know the reason I was just pointing to the Bournemouth example as further evidence that what they’re saying is utter shite. Iirc KD quoted it as being £33m into Ashley’s pocket, which as you say would buy us a good player, we could equal our prior record signing twice. I agree that would be a potential positive but as you say it is wishful, it’ll be added back on at some point in the near future. 

The issue is the £50m isn’t £50m, it’ll include wages and if you sign one player on £50k a week for 5 year that’s £13m, you also have to add in his agents fee for the transfer and any other bollocks.

Aye but I mean, what do we think should be available year on year for a club in our position? I'm not talking about where we should be, obviously commercial revenues and opportunities have been hopelessly squandered, but as of where we are right now, do you think they're withholding funds over and above that £50m?

I think they should be honest and just tell people that they're keeping money back to try to pay off the debt, with a view to making the club more attractive for a sale. That they're trying to balance that against not getting relegated, and that while it will suck for now, it gives the club a much better future that they don't intend to be part of or control.

They'd still be hated, but if that is the plan, being honest about it would be appreciated. If Rafa stayed another 5 years (I know), at the rate we're going, they would have paid off the debt by then. The problem is that we keep getting relegated.

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Aye but I mean, what do we think should be available year on year for a club in our position? I'm not talking about where we should be, obviously commercial revenues and opportunities have been hopelessly squandered, but as of where we are right now, do you think they're withholding funds over and above that £50m?

I think they should be honest and just tell people that they're keeping money back to try to pay off the debt, with a view to making the club more attractive for a sale. That they're trying to balance that against not getting relegated, and that while it will suck for now, it gives the club a much better future that they don't intend to be part of or control.

They'd still be hated, but if that is the plan, being honest about it would be appreciated. If Rafa stayed another 5 years (I know), at the rate we're going, they would have paid off the debt by then. The problem is that we keep getting relegated.

The debt should have been eaten as part of his buying cost, that was his fault for being the type of person he is and not conducting due diligence. Obviously I know that won’t happen, the thing is though iirc Charnley specifically mentions that the £111m ‘loan’ won’t be being recouped as the £33m was (which we owed Ashley because his stupidity resulted in relegation), it’s seen as long term and will be tacked on to any purchase price aka a way to ward off any potential buyers. 

As as for what should be available, the very fact they’re setting a number shows they’re being nob heads what clubs do that? You base your budget off of needs, forecasts, and current balances. They’re more than happy to figure future expenses into their calculation of budgets but will ignore future income. Aye they are withholding funds over that amount, they just paid Ashley £33m back and iirc they paid him £10m or so somewhat recently as well. I think we brought more money in last season than Leicester from tv rights and were basically tied with Everton for 7th out of the whole league, so aye I absolutely do think they are restricting our transfer funds heavily. If they did hand Rafa £50m plus a percentage of player sales, with the money going to transfer fees as the wage budget should be separate due to the more long term nature of it, that would be fair enough (of course we’d be ignoring the 10 years prior of underfunding) but as I say that isn’t what they’re proposing  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Howay said:

The debt should have been eaten as part of his buying cost, that was his fault for being the type of person he is and not conducting due diligence. Obviously I know that won’t happen, the thing is though iirc Charnley specifically mentions that the £111m ‘loan’ won’t be being recouped as the £33m was (which we owed Ashley because his stupidity resulted in relegation), it’s seen as long term and will be tacked on to any purchase price aka a way to ward off any potential buyers. 

As as for what should be available, the very fact they’re setting a number shows they’re being nob heads what clubs do that? You base your budget off of needs, forecasts, and current balances. They’re more than happy to figure future expenses into their calculation of budgets but will ignore future income. Aye they are withholding funds over that amount, they just paid Ashley £33m back and iirc they paid him £10m or so somewhat recently as well. I think we brought more money in last season than Leicester from tv rights and were basically tied with Everton for 7th out of the whole league, so aye I absolutely do think they are restricting our transfer funds heavily. If they did hand Rafa £50m plus a percentage of player sales, with the money going to transfer fees as the wage budget should be separate due to the more long term nature of it, that would be fair enough (of course we’d be ignoring the 10 years prior of underfunding) but as I say that isn’t what they’re proposing  

Where does the extra money go then? Is it just sitting in club accounts?

27 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Where does the extra money go then? Is it just sitting in club accounts?

The accounts published don’t have to be as accurate and aren’t regulated heavily like public company filings, so I can’t say with this lot running things I believe them to be the clearest, it’s entirely possible Ashley has been siphoning more out the club and labeling it as something else. 

You can feel free to trust what the club are saying if you want tbh. If you’re happy to accept a PL club in 2019 can afford nothing more than around £20m in transfer fees yearly (since the other £30m they’re quoting will go to wages spread over the next half decade) again that’s totally up to you. As mentioned in the past they always mention wages having to be factored in when buying, yet the remaining wages on a contract of a player sold are never brought up. We’ve never been big spenders under Ashley, even when we finished 5th we didn’t spend, all of that has all been eaten up by two single season stints in the Championship? 

It’s also worth noting that for his entire 10 year ownership he has asset stripped the club to such a degree it barely owns anything outside of playing staff, as Trooper points out we’ve lost a lot of money in commercial deals. All of that goes into why I am not accepting them saying all we can afford is £50m a season (inclusive of wages, fees and other expenses) I can’t factor these issues out as they are exactly to blame for all of it so why should I have to exclude that from what I think should be available for Rafa to spend? It can be rectified going forward but it won’t be. We are going to lose Rafa Benitez over honesty over transfer fees and a moderate amount of investment in the training facilities, it’s absolutely absurd. 

I’ll also add that the wage aspect is being double counted in their bullshit model. The money available that they’re claiming comes as a result of the accounts, which factor in wage expense, they then include these future wages back into the £50m budget, and they will be again included when computing the next amount available. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 3

In 2009 Ashley was looking to sell the club to Barry Moat for £100 million he must have being going to write the loan debt off then. If he was being honest (I know) about selling the club he could write that loan debt off today. It would then make the club a more realistic price to buyers . But with tagging the loan on to the asking price it makes the club an unrealistic price. I very much doubt he's any intention of selling anytime soon when he's got the club running on the bones of its arse.

Edited by trooper

25 minutes ago, Howay said:

The accounts published don’t have to be as accurate and aren’t regulated heavily like public company filings, so I can’t say with this lot running things I believe them to be the clearest, it’s entirely possible Ashley has been siphoning more out the club and labeling it as something else. 

You can feel free to trust what the club are saying if you want tbh. If you’re happy to accept a PL club in 2019 can afford nothing more than around £20m in transfer fees yearly (since the other £30m they’re quoting will go to wages spread over the next half decade) again that’s totally up to you. As mentioned in the past they always mention wages having to be factored in when buying, yet the remaining wages on a contract of a player sold are never brought up. We’ve never been big spenders under Ashley, even when we finished 5th we didn’t spend, all of that has all been eaten up by two single season stints in the Championship? 

It’s also worth noting that for his entire 10 year ownership he has asset stripped the club to such a degree it barely owns anything outside of playing staff, as Trooper points out we’ve lost a lot of money in commercial deals. All of that goes into why I am not accepting them saying all we can afford is £50m a season (inclusive of wages, fees and other expenses) I can’t factor these issues out as they are exactly to blame for all of it so why should I have to exclude that from what I think should be available for Rafa to spend? It can be rectified going forward but it won’t be. We are going to lose Rafa Benitez over honesty over transfer fees and a moderate amount of investment in the training facilities, it’s absolutely absurd. 

I’ll also add that the wage aspect is being double counted in their bullshit model. The money available that they’re claiming comes as a result of the accounts, which factor in wage expense, they then include these future wages back into the £50m budget, and they will be again included when computing the next amount available. 

I'm not believing them per se, I wouldn't trust any of them as far as I could throw them. But how many PL clubs are spending in excess of £50m net each season, consistently. I had a bit of a dig around and I can't see too many outside the top 6.

I said myself the commercial issue was a squandered opportunity, and I'm not saying they're running the club as they should be by any stretch. Nor am I supporting their reign in any sense which has been an unmitigated disaster. What I am asking, is that given where we are now, with the commercial situation we now have, is it likely that they're holding back money over that £50m? And btw, I don't even think we'll get the £50m. But if we did, and it's not enough for Rafa to stay, then yes, their incompetence has brought us to this point but it's just the reality we're now in.

Also, I was just asking. If you had turned around and told me that actually, we should be able to spend net £100m per season, then I would have accepted that.

I do accept the points about wages.

Actually that might well mean that the money that 'disappears' is just sitting in accounts waiting to be paid out as wages.

9 minutes ago, Sonatine said:

Barry Moat was about as much of a realistic buyer as Amanda Stavely and Kenyon were.

I understand that but the point I'm making is he would have written the loan off. It's a mere drop in the ocean to him & yet it's like an albatross around the club's neck.

Edited by trooper

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

I'm not believing them per se, I wouldn't trust any of them as far as I could throw them. But how many PL clubs are spending in excess of £50m net each season, consistently. I had a bit of a dig around and I can't see too many outside the top 6.

I said myself the commercial issue was a squandered opportunity, and I'm not saying they're running the club as they should be by any stretch. Nor am I supporting their reign in any sense which has been an unmitigated disaster. What I am asking, is that given where we are now, with the commercial situation we now have, is it likely that they're holding back money over that £50m? And btw, I don't even think we'll get the £50m. But if we did, and it's not enough for Rafa to stay, then yes, their incompetence has brought us to this point but it's just the reality we're now in.

Also, I was just asking. If you had turned around and told me that actually, we should be able to spend net £100m per season, then I would have accepted that.

I do accept the points about wages.

Actually that might well mean that the money that 'disappears' is just sitting in accounts waiting to be paid out as wages.

Fair enough I get the points. I wasn’t meaning to come across as argumentative this lot just piss me off whenever I think of the bollocks they spout :lol:  

I never thought that £50m net a season wouldn’t be a lot, as you state there aren’t many that spend that. My issue is that the £50m has to include wages so realistically that £50m becomes more like £20m-£25m and comes with further stipulations about what type of player that can be spent on (so youth to sell on). 

I get the point of the question now, I can’t speak to how much we could afford but I would assume it would be more than £20m-£30m net on fees like they’re really stating. If it was really a straight £50m net on transfers that would be great, but again if it was truthful they wouldn’t state it since it’s always going to fluctuate, you may need an £80m net spend now to get the squad up to speed then you might run a small profit on them the following year, it’s always these big grand gestures with these nob heads that are never followed up on (see ‘the club can spend whatever it generates’). 

Aye, the wages thing is for sure a way to play around with the accounts and projections. 

• Andrew changed the title to Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt